Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender

well its like i said kisu, 8 year olds dont read reviews. add to the 3d revenue..

I can comment from an internal perspective as I was one of the Fire Nation soldiers in the film. I had 30 days of filming running, fighting, jumping and standing around looking bewildered.

We had such high hopes for the film. Great source material and the input of the creators of the series. However, after watching the film in the theater it was a disappointment for me

Why? The inevitable comparisons to the series aside (simplified plot, lack of wit, humor and charm, lack of character development) it was an epic scale film with mediocre elements and some downright distracting (ok, I'll say it: BAD) acting. The run away star of the show was the CGI, which despite what various critics said I thought held up and blended well. Also of note, it was a last minute "band wagon" decision to go with the flavor of the month 3D, which actually took away from the experience a bit.

M. Night is a fan of the series and this is his vision of it translated to live-action. It leaves the sequels in a bit of a limbo until all of the sales figures pan out. Hopefully it can continue on and have the mistakes of the first film corrected and rectified.
    Crisden

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !

This will make it all better.

Last edited by Wildwoo; 07-21-2010 at 09:44 AM.

^I'm looking forward to that. Also looking forward to seeing Spirit Aang.

Yeah, hope it is a good one.
    String female characters made Avatar so good and this bold well in the mini-series.
    I assume She is a water bender by the looks of it?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Water is next in the Avatar Cycle, so I'd say that's a safe guess.

Interesting that the world of Avatar seems to be urbanizing and modernizing. Hope that doesn't have something to do with upsetting the balance...

had 2 ttt

This article popped up on my newsfeeds.
    Martial-arts students, master have roles in ‘Airbender' movie
    Posted: Monday, August 2, 2010 4:53 pm | Updated: 5:01 pm, Mon Aug 2, 2010.

From Building a Better Boyertown

"Well, I can check, ‘worked as a martial-arts stunt fighter on a major motion picture', off my bucket list," Donnie Ellixson Jr. joked as he recollects the events that took place last summer.

"It's all pretty wild how it unfolded," Ellixson said."I was working at the dojang (Ellixson's Tae Kwon Do Academy, Boyertown), when I got a call from The Last Airbender casting."

"Three days later I'm in intensive 10-hour-a-day training sessions, which lasted about two weeks," he said.

Two days after that, he was working aside Dev Patel of "Slumdog Millionaire," Jackson Rathbone of "Twilight," and Aasif Mandvi, "The Daily Show," and getting direction under M. Night Shyamalan, whose hits include "Unbreakable," "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs."

"Yeah, saying it was like a rollercoaster is an understatement," Ellixson said.

One of his black-belt students, Cindy Parks, had sent Ellixson an e-mail about open auditions for a movie, "Avatar: The Last Airbender" at the Spectrum in Philadelphia.

"The movie is based on a Nickelodeon cartoon that I had never heard of, but I thought, wow, this could be something cool and fun that I could take my national demo team, Ellixson's Elite, to."

After creating portfolios for each of the team members, they went to the audition, where they were fortunate enough to be close to the front of the line.

"Thank goodness too, because soon after we got there the line stretched to a couple thousand applicants. I had no idea what the outcome of all these auditions would be, but I knew if we had any chance at all, we had to look sharp, be professional, be early and that's what we did," Ellixson said.

"A few weeks went by, and we had about 10 students that received call backs for a second audition.

"That was way exciting. The students and I were thrilled! I think it was on all of our minds that if any one of us got in the movie, it was like all of us made it. We are not only a team, but a family.

"Four of our students, Ben Rosenberger, Cris Zaharia, Braedon Walters and Eric Nice, all were accepted in the second round of auditions and made it into the filming. Then, three days before the crew began shooting the film, I received a phone call from casting.

"They asked me if I was interested in a position of a stunt fighter. I asked what it entailed, and they explained that I would have to clear my schedule for six weeks. I had to be prepared to work 10- to 16-hour days, and they were starting in three days.

"I knew that if I hesitated, my opportunity would be over, they would just go to the next person on their list, so I took a couple of seconds, thought about what great and loyal staff I have at the dojang and how supportive my family is, and said, 'yes, most definitely!' "

The Opening Night Red Carpet Premier Party for The Last Airbender will be Friday, Aug. 13th, at 7 p.m. at the Boyertown State Theatre, 61 N. Reading Avenue, Boyertown, 610-367-4737, www.statetheatreboyertown.com.

Ellixson's Tae Kwon Do's elite team is scheduled to perform demonstrations and announce the movie at the Red Carpet Premier and at other weekend shows.

The demonstrations will start about 20 minutes before the movie is scheduled to start.
    When I open my school, my students will be wearing nacho-colored tiedyes and camo belts.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Anyone seen this website?

http://www.racebending.com/v3/
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

I have to say, it's disturbing to see all of the protagonists played by white kids and all of the villains played by people of color. What the hell were they thinking!?! Did they not realize how obviously controversial that was? It's Kane from Kung Fu all over again only this time it's times three! I'm still kind of shocked at how the whole thing turned out.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Quote Originally Posted by Siu Lum Fighter View Post
    Anyone seen this website?
    http://www.racebending.com/v3/
    Yah, that website came out long before the movie went into production.

I have to say, it's disturbing to see all of the protagonists played by white kids and all of the villains played by people of color. What the hell were they thinking!?! Did they not realize how obviously controversial that was? It's Kane from Kung Fu all over again only this time it's times three! I'm still kind of shocked at how the whole thing turned out.
    I don't know if you have seen it or not, but there is a picture illustrating the miscasting. The picture is broken up into two rows of three pictures. The top row has stills of Katara, Sokka, and Zuko from the cartoon. Both Katara and Sokka are drawn with dark tan skin, while Zuko has pale skin. The bottom row has pictures of the actors cast to play them. The people cast to play Katara and Sokka are white, while Dev Patel has dark tan skin. I thought the contrast was hilarious.

heres the kicker the director, who had say over all casting...as the writer/director/producer...did that and he is a person of color..

^When has he ever cast a person of color as a protagonist? All his mains are lily white in every movie he's ever made.

No One Likes M. Night Shyamalan

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

^Hilarious. The whole thing with the movie goers and their response to his name! Exactly what happened for the trailer for Devil at Scott Pilgrim.