Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pre wong fei hung

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Chusauli- many, many moons ago, you taught a "Small Five Animal" set at Ling Nam Siu Lum. The dragon section was short, and the snake section was very WC like-simultaneous front kick/biu-sao, followed by successive biu-jee 3x. The leopard section was slightly different as well. It was a short, but sweet, (and had great techniques) Ng Ying Kuen, which to this day, I still practice. It is different from LSW, different from the Tang Fong versions I have seen, and different from Wan Ji Ming's (which is also TF, through Chan Tai-Hing)
    Could you tell me the origin of this set?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

It was also my understanding that Lam Tsai Wing made a number of adjustments to the sets learned from Wong Fei Hung. I also have heard that Wong's other students codified the forms to meet their own needs as well. I have heard that Lam Jo's students have different techniques in sets under the same common name. For example, I have seen multiple variances in Lau Gar Kuen from various You Tube videos, Buck Sam Kong, and quite a few of his students as well. Has anyone else noticed this with this particular forms and others? If this is the case, it will probably be quite difficult to know the exact way the form was done during Lam Tsai Wing's day. Yet, I have also seen the photos mentioned earlier and his horse stance is not near as low as it is emphasized today. I have heard two viewpoints on this. One that it is a leg strength training tool or that it contains "hidden" combat applications. The latter sounds a bit silly to me in regards to stance work.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    ...I've done "Village style" Hung Kyuhn with three different teachers (including CTS)...
    I never knew that CTS did Hung Kuen as well. Man, he did it all! lol

Do you remember what his curriculum included? And were there any similarities at all to what we see nowadays? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Laukarbo View Post
    actually its Chiu Chi Ling
    actually, it's Chiu chi-ling
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    actually, it's Chiu chi-ling
    actually ,not really.....

really it is 趙志淩

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I was waiting for someone to do that.
    Thanks, LauKarBo
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Laukarbo View Post
    actually ,not really.....

really it is 趙志淩
    bout time someone dropped some ideograms on that. lol

so many iterations of a name it's amazing you can even find these guys.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by peace&love View Post
    I have heard two viewpoints on this. One that it is a leg strength training tool or that it contains "hidden" combat applications. The latter sounds a bit silly to me in regards to stance work.

I can't speak for Hung Gar as I don't train it, but in Hak Fu Mun the latter is stressed a lot in our training. We are taught to fight with our stances using our legs for locks, trips, and take downs... all while the hands are busy attacking. It is of the opinion that the person you're fighting will not see these leg tactics, do to their trying to combat the hands.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    bout time someone dropped some ideograms on that. lol

so many iterations of a name it's amazing you can even find these guys.

Never mind the romanization issues. in the olden days people used to have multiple names, one for each stage of their life: birth name, school name, married name and even "pen names".

e.g. Sun Yat-Sen is also known as Sun Zhong-san or Sun Man.

The many names of Sun Yat-sen

TenTigers,

You are blessed. It is rare these days for people to learn the old Hung Kuen (pre Wong Fei Hung). That means the system you are training is very close to Wong Fei Hung's kung fu. I read two Chinese books on the biography and kung fu of Master Wong Fei Fung in January this year. It was meant to be leisure reading to begin with. But it later became serious research because of great research value in these two books. They were published in 2005 and 2007. They are very good books in my own opinion. TenTigers, what you said in your first post correlated with the information in these books. You also have answered a question in my mind for some times - did the Tiger and Crane Double Style handset already exist before Wong Fei Hung? I am certain now the answer is affirmative. According to the year when Wong Fei Hung and Lai Sai Wing passed away plus other evidence, I believe LSW changed the Tiger and Crane Double Style handset, and thus had his branch's version while his sifu WFH was still well alive.

Yes. The old Hung Kuen has narrower and higher stances, shorter range techniques than modern Hung Kuen. And also harder as in hard and soft techniques. Just like original karate is harder than modern karate.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 03-29-2009 at 08:36 PM.