Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fighting applications of your salutation/bow?

Lion Dance

Is there a current lion dance thread on this site that someone could direct me to?

Quote Originally Posted by secretgecko View Post
    Is there a current lion dance thread on this site that someone could direct me to?
    no. lion dance forum was forgone in favour of the mma forum.

j/k

anyway, let's hijack this thread!

You do Fut Shan? Hok Shan? Northern? Modern? Competition.

What Kind of Lion does your school play? 3 Brothers? or different colours?

as for salutations, I have learned a few different ones seeing as the forms collection is mish mashy lol. But yeah, some of the salutes have apps and other are like symbolic sign language.

some is a mix of that! Anyway, even the shaolin salute has martial application. Just not sure if it would be my first choice in an offensive tactic. Unless my opponent was obviously and demonstratively weaker than I, in which case I would have mercy and only salute him.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 06-06-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    no. lion dance forum was forgone in favour of the mma forum. ...

Anyway, even the shaolin salute has martial application. Just not sure if it would be my first choice in an offensive tactic. Unless my opponent was obviously and demonstratively weaker than I, in which case I would have mercy and only salute him.
    LOL, someone's on form today...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Wah Lum has 2 openings (all the sets fall into 2 categories) and they have apps but not much focus is given to them.

I've taught them but it's not standard instruction.

I'm going to go with the obvious and say, if someone threatened you and wished to do combat, if you performed an elaborate bow, he might just take it as subservience, such as you just honored him, and thus he'd assume he won the confrontation.

But in that quaint, romantic traditional sense....you won not by backing out. But by having him do so.

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    I'm just curious as to how many people actually know the fighting applications found within their styles bow/salutation?

If you know of them do you also drill them or work these applications?
    For the short bow, yes. I am not yet special enough to get to do the full bow.

And at one time I was tought the whole form the bow was derived from. But I was a friggin newb who hadn't yet figured out that I needed to keep and nuture my forms as I might not get to see that form again for many, many years, if ever.

I have learned my lesson and now cling to my non-caricular forms with much tenacity. Not to say I don't goof them. But Sifu has never minded correcting a form that has mistakes but has also obviously been practiced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I have a video on applications of the bow on my youtube page
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-12-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Too much time on FB

... I kept looking for the "like" button before realizing I have to actually interact to let you know I liked the vid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Yes.

Depending on the schools or styles

there are both opening and closing practice stances.

They are usually some signature moves for two man duel practice sets.

We greet and then start our practice or fights.

When I see app's of what doesn't really appear to be an application I often wonder if it was a hidden application ( some systems did this called "himitsu" in Okinawan karate) OR if it was simply a case of taking a move ( this case a salutation) and making an application.
    I guess we may never know.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    When I see app's of what doesn't really appear to be an application I often wonder if it was a hidden application ( some systems did this called "himitsu" in Okinawan karate) OR if it was simply a case of taking a move ( this case a salutation) and making an application.
    I guess we may never know.
    I really don't see a difference.
    Many people only know one technique for one move. My teachers taught me to open my mind, and tear apart the move and find the applications, and make it work. Who is to say what is right? The originators are long gone.
    It has always been said, that the form is the form, and the application comes from the Sifu.
    That is why each individual Sifu will have different versions.
    "Gwok Si, Gwok Faht."
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I really don't see a difference.
    Many people only know one technique for one move. My teachers taught me to open my mind, and tear apart the move and find the applications, and make it work. Who is to say what is right? The originators are long gone.
    It has always been said, that the form is the form, and the application comes from the Sifu.
    That is why each individual Sifu will have different versions.
    "Gwok Si, Gwok Faht."
    Ah I agree, I do not think that there is only one application for any move.
    My point was that we may never know if a salutation ever really had an application or if one was simply made up for it.
    Not that it really matters.
    Unless of course someone says the super-silly crap of "my way is the right way".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I always thought the start and end of a form was more like a signature of the art and told those in the know who the guy had trained with and for how long, then specific techniques, but as you say which came first the salute or the application is anyone's guess