Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fighting applications of your salutation/bow?

Question Fighting applications of your salutation/bow?

I'm just curious as to how many people actually know the fighting applications found within their styles bow/salutation?

If you know of them do you also drill them or work these applications?

We not only know ours, but also drill them from time to time. This seems to be a forgotten practice with most kung fu schools.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

I was taught and drilled an elaborate bow in one school.

Problem was, it was some shaolin derivative bow in a wing chun school, it was an overcomplicated wrist lock, and it was complete bollocks.

Interestingly enough, in aikido there is a way of getting out of a grab for the rear that we were often shown that was just dropping and bowing. I know it can work for real, because while I was sparring with a friend in karate once, another karate mate (couple of inches on me and built), messing around, came and picked me up with a bear hug, and as soon as I could root through one foot I dropped straight into that bow and he went flying over my head into the guy I had been sparring. Put his shoulder out for three weeks!

Otherwise, I like headbutts, the dynamics of which are not all that far from bowing!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    I was taught and drilled an elaborate bow in one school.

Problem was, it was some shaolin derivative bow in a wing chun school, it was an overcomplicated wrist lock, and it was complete bollocks.

Hmmm

That's pretty interesting.. The fact that you say overcomplicated, i'm sure had a lot to do with it's effectiveness. Our bow/salute is mainly strikes with some takedowns and throws along with some leg techniques designed to take out your legs.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    The fact that you say overcomplicated, i'm sure had a lot to do with it's effectiveness.
    No doubt. It was quite cool as a salute, but as a tech it was crap.
    Our bow/salute is mainly strikes with some takedowns and throws along with some leg techniques designed to take out your legs.

jeff
    This, on the other hand, sounds like a quite useful skillset martially, and yet a completely ridiculous way of greeting each other!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I teach applications first, so when they do get to the form, they've already been doing the moves, hands on. They simply need to learn the sequence.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    This, on the other hand, sounds like a quite useful skillset martially, and yet a completely ridiculous way of greeting each other!

LOL

You know, I must say it's well hidden in the salute, you wouldn't really see it except for, maybe a few strikes.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I teach applications first, so when they do get to the form, they've already been doing the moves, hands on. They simply need to learn the sequence.

That's the way we learn as well. By the time you start learning the form, the techniques just jump out at you.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I like that way, but unfortunately, in wing chun most people are too precious about the forms and teach the other way.

Incidentally, but not OT, the wing chun sil lum tao form has an opening stance and cross-hands movement which doesn’t have a meaning to most wing chun schools… they use the reason that the crossing hands is just to reaffirm where your centerline is. Seems pretty stupid to me:

a) The centerline is not just on one plane, it’s an axis and
    b) From the front aspect it would be… er, down the centre of your body…!

The meaning was then shown to me and now I think it’s a good idea to teach it to everybody new, right from the start with the stance, in order to get them some footwork from the start.

kuntao.silat has a nice salutation it has locks breaks chokes and blocks in it we first broke every thing in it down .i use it in every day training its very useable

I have about 3 apps for the hung gar salute. Couple with strikes and a slightly modified for a throw. I like those ones the best and at least when I had a kwoon to go to, would work em in sparring.

The other system I studied was a mixture of different material ranging from Wah Lum based stuff to 7 star and also picked up a bit of Tai chi mantis on the mantis end. Then there was some other southern stuff coming in from Pai Lum (I didn't learn too much of the Pai Lum stuff though). The mantis stuff...the 7 star salute didn't seem to have an app though I cant say I actually tried to find one, or even ask for that matter. The Wah Lum...eh I guess there is a bit you could pull since its so simple. Mostly I just got a couple strikes out of it and I did practice those though. The tai chi one I liked. It was a cool block to a real fast strike. I like it because its simple, quick and fits in with my other hung gar in-fighting stuff.

umm... its a headbutt

in hung kuen apart from applications their r many folklore meanings in the salute. these very from school to school although they might share the common one or two.

to answer the question of the thread. dont concentrate on the application too much as i find it doesnt suit my personality

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    I'm just curious as to how many people actually know the fighting applications found within their styles bow/salutation?

If you know of them do you also drill them or work these applications?

We not only know ours, but also drill them from time to time. This seems to be a forgotten practice with most kung fu schools.

jeff

At my current Kwoon, our long fist salutation/presentation/bow consist of ridge hand to groin, then temple, then outward chop, elbow. Bow can be used as head butt.

You can actually break apart each movements to different applications.

Good topic!! I actually did not learn about "hidden" applications of various presentations(bows) until I was at...........wait for it.........the controversial McDojo of all......................USSD
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by msg View Post
    kuntao.silat has a nice salutation it has locks breaks chokes and blocks in it we first broke every thing in it down .i use it in every day training its very useable
    that's what I was gonna say.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter