Thread: Anyone study TKD?

Anyone study TKD?

I'm checking out a school Monday, mainly because it's down the street from me, has classes at times I can make and *hopefully,* will allow me to train on the days I'm available at a reasonable cost. I study Wing Chun and JKD but I'd like to study this style as it's good for a workout - and again, it's just down the street from me so it's convenient. The only thing that worries me is all the yelling. Seriously, I'm not a yeller. What can I expect from this experience if I do join?

Laura
    To Ah Mui with love.

Do you know what style of TKD? WTF or ITF? (World TKD Federation, International TKD Federation) I know of WTF style, I'm 2nd Dan (2nd degree Black Belt) and can tell you about basics of both.

The "yelling," by the way, is a "kee-oop" (aproximate way it sounds.) It's called Kiai in Japanese. If you have a good instructor, you'll understand why you do it. It isn't about "yelling" it's a short, sharp and focused expulsion of air meant to focus you and your breath. It also has an intimidation factor at high levels, I have a story or two if you'd like to know more about that.

You can expect form work. It's very important for TKD. I don't remember any of the forms, but they really help get body mechanics right when you are first learning. There are also form competitions, but I never cared for those.

There should also be sparring drills. One-step, two-step, and three-step sparring. Here you will refine techniques in a simple fight situation. For example, your partner punches, you jump back while performing a roundhouse kick to the gut.

Free-sparring should also be a regular thing. This is exactly as the name implies. Gear is used during class, or you make light contact with out gear.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask!
    Last edited by SaintSage; 06-10-2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Little mistakes I slowly find...

I personally was/am a part of the WTF. I enjoyed it more than more 'olympic' styles. I extremely love the conditioning and fighting aspects (not for my body type, but great nonetheless). But I absolutely cannot stand the 'olympic' rules especially when they take it too far (no punching to the head and the like)

Now of course these are just my opinion, and if you're just lookin for a workout, more power to ya if you prefer olympic style. But if the teacher does not teach crisp, clean forms, and emphasize perfection of form, I would recommend not attending class.

Without the forms, you're a kickboxer to be honest.
    Mark

expect alot of yelling
    and a lack of any kind of guard
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffer View Post
    expect alot of yelling
    and a lack of any kind of guard
    Now that depends on whose teaching. (I'm ignoring your yelling bit) I know I've had teachers who didn't teach guard because they were long range fighters who reacted with kicks. Yet I also had teachers who would hit you if your hands weren't up! It's different styles for different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Takuan View Post

Without the forms, you're a kickboxer to be honest.
    Maybe you meant a BAD kickboxer. But thats what you are either way in TKD

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    Maybe you meant a BAD kickboxer. But thats what you are either way in TKD
    You've never met a good TKD teacher, then.

Your quite right, and I suspect I never will. In fact, I would go as far to say, no one who knows anything about MARTIAL arts will either.

I normally stay out of these discussions, but someone entering tkd should know that it sucks. sorry, it does. even if there was a good teacher out there somewhere that could fight, it would still suck by and large.
    Last edited by street_fighter; 06-11-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Your quite right, and I suspect I never will. In fact, I would go as far to say, no one who knows anything about MARTIAL arts will either.

I normally stay out of these discussions, but someone entering tkd should know that it sucks. sorry, it does. even if there was a good teacher out there somewhere that could fight, it would still suck by and large.
    And anyone entering the art should know that generalizing anything is wrong. The art is only as good as the user. No, you aren't going to win a cage match with TKD, but if you have a good teacher you will improve your physical wellbeing, be more graceful, your legs will be as swift as a whip and strong as a horse, and no matter what you might think, it can be used for self-defense. What is a fight to you? The cage, the ring, the street?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintSage View Post
    And anyone entering the art should know that generalizing anything is wrong. The art is only as good as the user. No, you aren't going to win a cage match with TKD, but if you have a good teacher you will improve your physical wellbeing, be more graceful, your legs will be as swift as a whip and strong as a horse, and no matter what you might think, it can be used for self-defense. What is a fight to you? The cage, the ring, the street?
    good mindset. I'm done.

good mindset. I'm done.
    Haha, well, while I understand that kind of event/sport/art may be for some people, it's isn't for everyone. So it isn't fair to say the art sucks just in general. Now, if you were to shout from the top of your lungs the art sucks alone for MMA/Cage/Etc. I'd tell you to lower your voice, we allready knew that!

1993 called, it wants it's lame argument back!!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

If you are going to insult someone, be original.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintSage View Post
    Now that depends on whose teaching. (I'm ignoring your yelling bit) I know I've had teachers who didn't teach guard because they were long range fighters who reacted with kicks. Yet I also had teachers who would hit you if your hands weren't up! It's different styles for different people.

I would have to agree with that. I took TKD while in the military and received a 1st Degree black in it. My instructor was an 8th degree under the WTF. And a 4th degree in KukSulWon under In Hyuk Su. So he incorporated a lot of the throws, locks, guards and other concepts of KukSulWon into the WTF TKD format.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.