Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hobbyists

hobbyists

Many posters here use the word "hobbyist" to describe people who practice martial arts that don't train hard, realistically, don't take martial arts seriously, or some combination of these.
    Here are some definitions of "hobby."
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hobby
    Here is one definition from Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) .
    "1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving."
    With this in mind, wouldn’t serious martial artists who train hard and realistically still be hobbyists so long as we enjoy it and martial arts are not a main occupation? Wouldn’t that mean that those of us who practice martial arts because we enjoy it and whose main occupations are not pro-fighters, MA school owners and teachers, etc are hobbyists? According to the definition given, yes. According to the definition given, the way I described that many posters use the word is an incorrect usage. So why is "hobbyist" used that way?
    Last edited by The Xia; 06-11-2007 at 12:11 PM.

I think the term is used, usually, on someone that does MA "for fun" and couldn't care ( or at least say they don't) about the "martial" applications.

Hmm....interesting definition.

I have been taking MA in one form or another since I was 13yo. Granted I took a 12yr break. I have always taken it for the physical fitness aspect of it first and foremost. From Chi development, strength, flexibility and cardio aspects of MA. The side effect was I learned how to fight. I never took MA in the mindset of learning to fight. I also enjoy theories and history of it. As well as dissecting various form applications.

So I guess I am a hobbyist?
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I don't see how someone who doesn't enjoy martial arts can stick with it. Sure, martial arts were designed and used for combat and many people go into MA for self-defense. I have seen many people take up MA to casually “learn a little self-defense” and drop out after a few months, or even weeks. But that tends to change if it's someone who actually faces violence. However, I maintain that if someone doesn't enjoy it, I can't see him becoming a lifer (unless he really needs it or is some kind of masochist lol).

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    I don't see how someone who doesn't enjoy martial arts can stick with it. Sure, martial arts were designed and used for combat and many people go into MA for self-defense. I have seen many people take up MA to casually “learn a little self-defense” and drop out after a few months, or even weeks. But that tends to change if it's someone who actually faces violence. However, I maintain that if someone doesn't enjoy it, I can't see him becoming a lifer (unless he really needs it or is some kind of masochist lol).
    Not sure what your point is...are you saying that the moment you "enjoy" is that makes you a hobbyist?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Not sure what your point is...are you saying that the moment you "enjoy" is that makes you a hobbyist?
    According to the definition, it's a combination of enjoying it without it being your main occupation.

the term is used to distinguish recreational people from the more serious ones. By serious, I mean people who compete heavily, people who need MA due to their occupation, be it pro fighter, bouncer, cop, etc.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    According to the definition, it's a combination of enjoying it without it being your main occupation.
    So any olympic athlete is a hobbyist ?
    Or even semi-pro fighters are hobbyists ?

Hobbyist?

hell im a MA Hobbyist....yet i train hard, and realistically.

though i dont teach, or compete....so what else do i have? I rarely ever defend my life, and if i do its through correct thought and action, not MA

call me a hobbyist all you want, but dont assume i would just roll over and play dead if you step. I can still beat some ass.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    the term is used to distinguish recreational people from the more serious ones. By serious, I mean people who compete heavily, people who need MA due to their occupation, be it pro fighter, bouncer, cop, etc.
    I agree with this. You can be a "lifer" without beinga profecianal. Even if your income isn't 100% from MA, if is is an actual occupation, or an active part of your occupation, than it's no longer for fun, no mater how much you enjoy it. And loving all aspects of the harder training does not make it an occupation.

I think the more intense practitioners like to call the less intence one's "hobyists" to make distinction. If you want to train hard, you have to make it a life style or you get hurt. If it's just for fitness, it can be a side thing, less of an impact in your out-of-the-gym/kwoon time. Sometimes it is ment as an insult, but usually not. It's a statment of fact.

If you want to play hard, you must train 3-4 hours a day, most days of the week on top of the time spent at the kwoon. You in effect train as hard as a pro might. You just don't get paid to fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I think often when people say the word hobbyist, it imply's that the "hobbyist" isnt a real martial artist.

people assume you do things half assed, never spar/fight, and dont know a fist from a foot.

its a bad tag and a worse rap.

you can be a hobbyist and still be very serious. yet are not involved in sports/teaching/protecting others for a job....
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    If we go by the actual definition, competing heavily does not place someone outside the realm of hobbyist (unless he competes as a main occupation). Pro-fighter I agree with. Bouncer and cop depends. If the bouncer isn't the person's main occupation, I think that disqualifies him from not being a hobbyist. The same goes for if the bouncer doesn’t use MA as part of the job. Ditto for cops.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin
    So any olympic athlete is a hobbyist ?
    Or even semi-pro fighters are hobbyists ?
    If it's not their main occupations, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin
    Hobbyist?

hell im a MA Hobbyist....yet i train hard, and realistically.

though i dont teach, or compete....so what else do i have? I rarely ever defend my life, and if i do its through correct thought and action, not MA

call me a hobbyist all you want, but dont assume i would just roll over and play dead if you step. I can still beat some ass.
    DING DING DING! We have a winner!
    The point I’m making is that the definition of “hobbyist” isn’t a practitioner who doesn’t train hard, realistically, take MA seriously, etc. Those things are attached to the word by many forum users. In reality, being a hobbyist doesn’t mean any of those things. It just means that your practice is not your main occupation and that you do it because you enjoy it.
    Last edited by The Xia; 06-11-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Here we have it!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    I think often when people say the word hobbyist, it imply's that the "hobbyist" isnt a real martial artist.

people assume you do things half assed, never spar/fight, and dont know a fist from a foot.

its a bad tag and a worse rap.

you can be a hobbyist and still be very serious. yet are not involved in sports/teaching/protecting others for a job....
    Someone gets my point.
    Last edited by The Xia; 06-11-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    I agree with this. You can be a "lifer" without beinga profecianal.
    I don't dispute that.
    Even if your income isn't 100% from MA, if is is an actual occupation, or an active part of your occupation, than it's no longer for fun, no mater how much you enjoy it. And loving all aspects of the harder training does not make it an occupation.
    Someone might choose a main occupation "for fun." Nevertheless, it's still a main occupation. Therefore, if the main occupation involves MA, that person is not a hobbyist.
    I think the more intense practitioners like to call the less intence one's "hobyists" to make distinction.
    That doesn't mean they are correct.
    If you want to train hard, you have to make it a life style or you get hurt.
    What do you mean by this?
    The harder and longer you train, the more it becomes a part of your life. If you train correctly in addition to hard and a lot, you get the best results: the martial arts become part of you. Where I can see someone getting hurt is if you take out the "correctly" part. Besides not achieving the results I mentioned, it can lead to injury (depending on what kind of incorrect stuff is being done).
    If it's just for fitness, it can be a side thing, less of an impact in your out-of-the-gym/kwoon time. Sometimes it is ment as an insult, but usually not. It's a statment of fact.
    How can it be a statement of fact if they're not using the correct definition?
    If you want to play hard, you must train 3-4 hours a day, most days of the week on top of the time spent at the kwoon. You in effect train as hard as a pro might. You just don't get paid to fight.
    Once again, isn't that person still a hobbyist?

I agree with this. You can be a "lifer" without beinga profecianal.
    hehe

is that a freudian slip or are you just funny? Profecianal
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan