Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hobbyists

if the term offends you, perhaps it's because it describes you. As was once said, "What's in a name?"
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

f*** definitions. the term is USED to describe the not so "hardcore" guys whos existence in the MA world is ever prevalent. you can't look up a definition and then tell everyone that, based on the definition, they were saying something that they didnt' intend to. alittle pointless imo

i usually just call those guys Douche Bags....but to be more modernized i have adapted the term Douch Nozzle....
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Occupation.....

Does not neccesarilly mean your job. It could mean something that occupies a large amount of time and effort. As for the Xia he has yet to post himself doing any type of training, forms, and/ or as to what his backround in the martial arts is. I have asked him on many occasions and he avoids the questions . He is a keyboard martial artist who spends way too much time on this forum acting like he is the foremost authority in CMA. Anyone can sit on line, do research, read books , learn all that they can about martial arts, but until you get involved you are still just a keyboard martial artist. I also think that the xia has taken the word alittle too literal. Many words can be used to define or discribe persons , places , or things which are just on the outside of what the common known definition is....so basically you are just all butt hurt because you are exactly what most people on this forum believes the definition means.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 06-11-2007 at 02:40 PM.

i know this is going of the subject but i wanted to ask this .i have a freind who is a pretty good martial artist thats all he thinks about and does .anyways he even wears clothes that are kinda kungfu style .like he wont wear jeans or certain shirts .hes always woried about his movement that to make sure that what he wears allows that movement .like he looks like hes always ready to teach a class realy looks the part i try to tell him some times he looks like a old man or a fool what do you guys think

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Does not neccesarilly mean your job. It could mean something that occupies a large amount of time and effort. As for the Xia he has yet to post himself doing any type of training, forms, and/ or as to what his backround in the martial arts is. I have asked him on many occasions and he avoids the questions . He is a keyboard martial artist who spends way too much time on this forum acting like he is the foremost authority in CMA. Anyone can sit on line, do research, read books , learn all that they can about martial arts, but until you get involved you are still just a keyboard martial artist. I also think that the xia has taken the word alittle too literal. Many words can be used to define or discribe persons , places , or things which are just on the outside of what the common known definition is....so basically you are just all butt hurt because you are exactly what most people on this forum believes the definition means.
    I missed your posts of you doing your training or forms. Where is the link? That would be interesting to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    So why is "hobbyist" used that way?
    becaus y is a crooked letter and u cant make it straight

no

maybe its just because its the most recognised popular and to the point definition
    around

so therefore ppl use it because tho while not technically correct makes discussin martial arts that little bit easier
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by cruz View Post
    i know this is going of the subject but i wanted to ask this .i have a freind who is a pretty good martial artist thats all he thinks about and does .anyways he even wears clothes that are kinda kungfu style .like he wont wear jeans or certain shirts .hes always woried about his movement that to make sure that what he wears allows that movement .like he looks like hes always ready to teach a class realy looks the part i try to tell him some times he looks like a old man or a fool what do you guys think
    i'm OBSESSED WITH MARTIAL ARTS

no joke
    but i dont wear kung fu clothes etc martial arts should fit into modern life
    not hinder it (as wearing that type of clothing normally certainly would cost almost anyone socially)

tell him to grow up and stop living in a fantasy world

tell him to practise like the devil but not be an idiot

lol

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    f*** definitions. the term is USED to describe the not so "hardcore" guys whos existence in the MA world is ever prevalent. you can't look up a definition and then tell everyone that, based on the definition, they were saying something that they didnt' intend to. alittle pointless imo
    agreed

fred

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    the term is used to distinguish recreational people from the more serious ones. By serious, I mean people who compete heavily, people who need MA due to their occupation, be it pro fighter, bouncer, cop, etc.
    or just ordinary citizen that gets in to fights

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    yeah actually thats a good pont
    i dont know **** all about the xia
    no style
    no back ground
    nothing

??????????????????

Slighty OT

Speaking of hobbies like stamp collecting, read How Good Is Your Philatelic Kung Fu? by Emilio Alpanseque
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

kung fu hobbyists are like those airsoft rifle enthusiasts.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

You either practice Kung Fu or you don't.
    Hobbyist?

It's not model building. lol

So it's higher up if you make money from it? Really?

Whoever is diminishing others based on their own insecurity is lame of mind in my opinion.
    There's all kinds of people who are into martial arts. For all kinds of reasons.
    Stick to your own thing and you'll do a lot better than whining about someone elses practice.
    Criticism is one thing, frauds are another, but vague judgement calls on a wide swath of people without any knowledge of what they do, who they are etc?
    That's just goofy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

of course kung fu hobbyism exists. its a state of mind of disrespectfulness and light heartedness. when someone train kung fu for "amusement", its hobbyism.

can be cured with sparring
    Last edited by bawang; 04-02-2014 at 07:09 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC