Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hands and feet of wing chun

hands and feet of wing chun

What are the names and short descriptions of the punches , blocks , stances and kicks in wing chun?? If there is already a thread and/ or a list where I can find them I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thank you.

eh?

hey monk,
    just wondering where you're going with this list. Seems a bit pointless unless you're gonna invest time in the system. Just because someone says 'this is a tan sau, this is what it does', doesnt give you much to work with and after a while you'd probably just think 'i cant see how this works, wing chun is rubbish'. I've seen it happen. Wing chun is all about learning, unlearning and understanding. Theres a lot of feeling going on too. There is a saying somewhere that goes 'when someone practices the first form, you can only see 50% (if that in my opinion) of whats actually happening'. Sorry to be down on your thread, i just wonder where its leading you. Or to put it another way, you could come to my house, and i could give you a drum set and a set of sticks, and tell you all about how it works, but would it make you a drummer?.........

Robert Chu's Book

Has a good list of "names" with Translation. Names vary from school to school and lineage to lineage.
    "Cyanide is a dangerous chemical. That's why it is a crime to possess it without a peaceful purpose," said U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_chi_sau View Post
    hey monk,
    just wondering where you're going with this list. Seems a bit pointless unless you're gonna invest time in the system. Just because someone says 'this is a tan sau, this is what it does', doesnt give you much to work with and after a while you'd probably just think 'i cant see how this works, wing chun is rubbish'. I've seen it happen. Wing chun is all about learning, unlearning and understanding. Theres a lot of feeling going on too. There is a saying somewhere that goes 'when someone practices the first form, you can only see 50% (if that in my opinion) of whats actually happening'. Sorry to be down on your thread, i just wonder where its leading you. Or to put it another way, you could come to my house, and i could give you a drum set and a set of sticks, and tell you all about how it works, but would it make you a drummer?.........
    Maybe he just wants to compare the names with another style/dialect...

What's with the guessing game!?

[shrugs]

Monk, try wingchunken.com (I think that's Rene Richie's site....?). It has loads of those kind of lists for the differetn lineages of chun.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

specifically

like the different forearm blocks , for instance, the outside forearm block or inside forearm block or the crossed forearm block or the inverted elbow block.

tan-jum-bong....inverted elbow ?

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    tan-jum-bong....inverted elbow ?
    yeah, you know where the arm is turned 90'0 downwards( inverted), fingers toward the ground, elbow to the sky, and you are blocking with your forearm. Like a chicken wing. I know it by many names but I would like to know what the most common term is for this technique and some variations. Thank you.

that 'sounds' like bong sao = elbow up aka wing arm.... for regaining an attackling line when an arm has xed our bridge by raising then ...we sink the elbow as we hit with vu sao...

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    yeah, you know where the arm is turned 90'0 downwards( inverted), fingers toward the ground, elbow to the sky, and you are blocking with your forearm. Like a chicken wing. I know it by many names but I would like to know what the most common term is for this technique and some variations. Thank you.
    Could be refering to - Kao Sao - which is normally practised in forms with the addition of another hand. Almost like a more open and reversed (touch point) Bong Sao and upper Guarn.
    Heres what it looks like.... / > ....

If you search for vids of the wooden dummy forms you should see it present in most Lineages.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    like the different forearm blocks , for instance, the outside forearm block or inside forearm block or the crossed forearm block or the inverted elbow block.

whats in a name ?

just a BTW the arms dont 'block' off the centerline as a karate/taekwondo action[ not that thats wrong bad etc, just not how vt does it] . The idea is that the arm is training doing tan/jum/etc...in a systematic process to develop a unique ability to vt of simply punching and achieving 2actions per 1 punch, using the arm/bridge -forearms sides to 'deflect and hit' while aiming forwards, using a concept of lin sil di da , often through certain basic level actions in the learning curve of vt it is erroneously percieved as using 2 arms like a 'karate/taekwondo ' action only done togeteher as the translation can be interpreted , instead of alternating individual arms [ doing 2 actions per punch] in freelow fighting...along a centerline. Often interpreted as 2 ARMS doing attack & defense and not 1arm doing 2 ations
    .....names tend to be misleading due to a translation factor...like tan sao means palm up , but the palms position is only a reference not a required position during the free fight..as jum is a name to infer maintaining the inside energy of the arm as it hits across a line of force aka an incoming punch....by hearing an interpretation on a theme one can end up trying to use the positions during a fight that work like any good karate or taekwondo action but arent developing the ultimate goal of vt.

vusao can be translated to a word/s but has a much larger impact in the attack process and if described as a 'protecting ' hand it might never be seen as the way to maintain an 'attacking & defensive hand '

senk sao aka tut sao or shaving hands is often and erroneously thought of by some as a wrist grab removal because we look for 'application' not conceptual training of maintaining a free attacking hand. Its lowered aimed fingers make some belive its aimed low in action
    So a 'name' for an abstract arm shape is kind of confusing unless you have a goal in mind ...you might see a shape give it a name and feel compelled to use that shape/name, while engaging in a activity that requires anything but static shapes and names, or 'statue' one move 'pose' responses

some moves leave the center but you will find them in bil gee , or moves placed in slt from bil gee

All the names boil down to 'great shocking force' or 'big spring' or 'large jolting force' or 'ging force' , large ging aka as beautiful springtime or evergreen / continous spring or even Ving Tsun or even ging chun kung fu....continous attacks using explosive actions.... relentless forward attack using ging force

names can be misleading
    Last edited by k gledhill; 07-09-2007 at 01:30 PM.

whats in a name ?

just a BTW the arms dont 'block' off the centerline as a karate/taekwondo action[ not that thats wrong bad etc, just not how vt does it] . The idea is that the arm is training doing tan/jum/etc...in a systematic process to develop a unique ability to vt of simply punching and achieving 2actions per 1 punch, using the arm/bridge -forearms sides to 'deflect and hit' while aiming forwards, using a concept of lin sil di da , often through certain basic level actions in the learning curve of vt it is erroneously percieved as using 2 arms like a 'karate/taekwondo ' action only done togeteher as the translation can be interpreted , instead of alternating individual arms [ doing 2 actions per punch] in freelow fighting...along a centerline. Often interpreted as 2 ARMS doing attack & defense and not 1arm doing 2 ations
    .....names tend to be misleading due to a translation factor...like tan sao means palm up , but the palms position is only a reference not a required position during the free fight..as jum is a name to infer maintaining the inside energy of the arm as it hits across a line of force aka an incoming punch....by hearing an interpretation on a theme one can end up trying to use the positions during a fight that work like any good karate or taekwondo action but arent developing the ultimate goal of vt.

vusao can be translated to a word/s but has a much larger impact in the attack process and if described as a 'protecting ' hand it might never be seen as the way to maintain an 'attacking & defensive hand '

senk sao aka shaving hands is often and erroneously thought of by some as a wrist grab removal because we look for 'application' not conceptual training of maintaining a free attacking hand. Its lowered aimed fingers make some belive its aimed low in action
    So a 'name' for an abstract arm shape is kind of confusing unless you have a goal in mind ...you might see a shape give it a name and feel compelled to use that shape/name, while engaging in a activity that requires anything but static shapes and names, or 'statue' one move 'pose' responses

some moves leave the center but you will find them in bil gee , or moves placed in slt from bil gee

All the names boil down to 'great shocking force' or 'big spring' or 'large jolting force' or 'ging force' , large ging aka as beautiful springtime or evergreen / continous spring or even Ving Tsun or even ging chun kung fu....continous attacks using explosive actions.... relentless forward attack using ging force

names can be misleading
    Thank you . You see my problem is I learned all the forms with English translations and not any Chinese. It really sux because I would like to teach it using Chinese . I have some of the names but most I have had to use words that I have lready know from other CMA styles I have studied.

gotcha...hope it helps.

Tattooed monks query on motion names

http://www.fongswingchun.com/terms.html

Check the fairly comprehensive list of terms at the above Augustine Fong link. Different lineages will have variations in vocabulary and spelling.
    Hope it helps... but you cant learn or teach wing chun by just knowing labels.
    Good luck.

joy chaudhuri

gotcha...hope it helps.
    Thank you , for the PM's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    http://www.fongswingchun.com/terms.html

Check the fairly comprehensive list of terms at the above Augustine Fong link. Different lineages will have variations in vocabulary and spelling.
    Hope it helps... but you cant learn or teach wing chun by just knowing labels.
    Good luck.

joy chaudhuri
    Thank you , I understand that I can not teach it by knowing the names alone . I studied with a guy that refused to use the Chinese names . He was really good but would not teach them to me. I just think he forgot or something.