Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Fook-Sao

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    Think of the geological term 'subduction'. Fitting example of the Fook action.

In geology, a subduction zone is an area on Earth where two tectonic plates meet and move towards one another, with one sliding underneath the other and moving down into the mantle, at rates typically measured in centimeters per year. An oceanic plate ordinarily slides underneath a continental plate; this often creates an orogenic zone with many volcanoes and earthquakes. In a sense, subduction zones are the opposite of divergent boundaries, areas where material rises up from the mantle and plates are moving apart.- Wikipedia
    Fook means to control (it's a verb, an action). There are many specific ways to achieve that control. If there is no control, there is no fook sao regardless of what youa re doing.

http://home.vtmuseum.org/terminology...=ASC&Slimit=20
    Definition of Fuk sau,

Fuk Sau expressed and applied to my knowledge is best defined by character number 3.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

Quote Originally Posted by canglong View Post
    http://home.vtmuseum.org/terminology...=ASC&Slimit=20
    Definition of Fuk sau,

Fuk Sau expressed and applied to my knowledge is best defined by character number 3.
    I am not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Terence is correct. Fook, fuhk actullay means control, subdue in Cantonese. Many Chinese characters are composed of two characters. Like the character for Wing in WC.
    It has a radical attached that means recite, speak, praise, etc., before the character Chun (forever). Weng Chun doesn't have that radical.
    The character for fuhk is a man standing over, controlling a dog. But then again some people think that tan sau means palm up hand. It doesnt
    PR

Phil - Thanks for sharing that, enjoy your insight as always. That's my understanding as well (to subdue).

Regarding the other posts, IMHO its defined more by what it's meant to accomplish than a position above/below or it's look/posture. I realize a great many people define it as an exact posture/positioning that drives (wedges) the opponent's force off of you, usually followed with jum, jut, or huen. I don't look at it as tying up, or wedging/stopping (which I believe the use of "control" would allude to), but rather you make make the incoming force useless (smothered but not stopped, if you will) which then allows you to "control" it. I.E. subdue. The seizing and subduing of the energy happens at contact, no "wedging" needed. Anything that occurs after the initial contact is secondary (i.e. in intent, and motion). The man over a dog is telling, as you are asserting your domination over the animal as a whole (watch a dog trainer some time), rather than literally doing something to the dog.
    Marty
    "The Evil Chu's"
    Watchful Dragon