Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Stance Problems

Wing Chun Stance Problems

Hello,

I've been doing wing chun for just over a year and I've had problems with the stance from the very start. We open our stance as usual, feet together, lean forward, bend knees, toes out then heels out.

The problem is that I cannot lower very much.Other students in my class can lower until their knees are almost touching.

When I try I feel pressure in my hips, literally in the hip sockets, it feels like the joints have reached their limit and I suspect no amount of stretching will overcome that.

It's becoming a problem because recently we've started to train chi sau with more forward pressure and as I find it difficult to lower I lose my balance.

Obviously in a real situation I could take a step back, in fact when I watch clips on you tube I never see wing chun fighters in this stance.

Is it really essential for my feet to be turned in?

Quote Originally Posted by fook View Post

No. Try adjusting the position here and there until you feel comfortable enough to perform as needed..

But you should also discuss this with your teacher...
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

The problem is that I cannot lower very much.Other students in my class can lower until their knees are almost touching.

When I try I feel pressure in my hips, literally in the hip sockets, it feels like the joints have reached their limit and I suspect no amount of stretching will overcome that.
    Nonsense, stretching should remedy this...unless you have some physical deformity. Conditioning and flexibility are nessisary. Try some Yoga.

It's becoming a problem because recently we've started to train chi sau with more forward pressure and as I find it difficult to lower I lose my balance.

Obviously in a real situation I could take a step back, in fact when I watch clips on you tube I never see wing chun fighters in this stance.?
    Of course. Motion is common, if you need to step to maintain balance by all means, step.

Not really. I haven't discovered anything that makes them essential, other than the development of adductor muscles and that it tends to 'force' people to bend their knees slightly.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Not really. I haven't discovered anything that makes them essential, other than the development of adductor muscles and that it tends to 'force' people to bend their knees slightly.
    I've always thought both of those reasons were enough to make me want my toes turned in. If you are devolving your adductor muscles then it reasons that you are using them, leading to a stronger stance.

And "forcing" the knees a little (to bend, not strain or twist) should help protect then in case of sudden movement. Also it puts my tender shins in a slightly less vulnerable position.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fook View Post

Nonsense, stretching should remedy this...unless you have some physical deformity. Conditioning and flexibility are nessisary. Try some Yoga.
    I both agree and disagree with this. I was once told by someone with some knowledge that "maybe I just couldn't" touch my toes when I was younger. Years of Kung Fu training later and I found this to be incorrect. Stretching is essential!

What i disagree with is that it its the primary cause of discomfort in this case. Your stance should not 'look' like your seniors, it should 'work" like it.

in closing......

Yes it is. It is not essential the knees touch. It is essential that both feet, knees and hip align properly to ensure balance and stability while needed, and movement when required. If your not rooting, its not a stance.
    "Cyanide is a dangerous chemical. That's why it is a crime to possess it without a peaceful purpose," said U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by essential.

I trained for years to keep the feet toed in (and still believe this to be a good teaching platform), in application, you're constantly moving (or should be) and therefore it's irrelevant as long as you can move and remain balanced.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Hi Fook,

what did your teacher say when you asked him/her?

I don't think you should think about "lowering", think about the knee kneeling instead. Don't lower at the knee, lower using the mind, past the opponent.

the stance is a power generation stance used during training only, fighting stance is any stance that fights occur in. at this point in your training you should still try to stay in your "toe in" stance.

you can control your stance using your kua area to ground yourself, don't fixate at the feet.

ask your seniors or teacher to see how they would deal with your issues

I've always thought both of those reasons were enough to make me want my toes turned in. If you are devolving your adductor muscles then it reasons that you are using them, leading to a stronger stance.
    IMO the parallel foot stance, as used in TWC and some other variants, works the adductors more.

The toes in stance works the quads more than the adductors.

Adductors adduct, not "devolve" or rotate.

I use the parallel foot stance, though rarely. My academy usually try to work out of 50/50 one foot forward stances, for forms, chi sao, everything. It is highly debatable that the position you are describing will develop any useful attributes for fighting, and indeed whether if you force it, it may not be counterproductive or injurious. WC's meant to be for all ages, and if it precludes old people with inflexible hips, then it ain't. This stance should feel natural, not forced, and you should be able to move out of it, not lock yourself to the spot.

If you need to develop your legs and hips for fuctional use, do squats, deadlifts, and plyos. They work much quicker and more effectively.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

AndrewN writes:

Adductors adduct, not "devolve" or rotate.
    The adductors also function as hip extensors and come more into play in wide stance squats and sumo deadlifts.

Personally, I think of the 'toe in stance' as more of a way to push the hips forward. Internal rotation actually puts the adductors in a shortened (and potentially stronger) position, anterior pelvic motion (from hip extention, which has an abduction component) takes some play out of them, using that length.

IMO, the internally rotated stance potentiates activation of trunk stabilizers, which in combination with moving the acetabulum slightly anterior to the femoral head (for really anterior think the back leg of a bow and arrow stance) allow force to be translated through the hips and L-spine/trunk to and from the limbs.

As to the original poster- the positions are less important than the skills. If you're larger sized, very strict (1fist between the knees) internally rotated stance may be uncomfortable and put you in a compromised position.

Andrew

Hello,

I've been doing wing chun for just over a year and I've had problems with the stance from the very start. We open our stance as usual, feet together, lean forward, bend knees, toes out then heels out.

Obviously in a real situation I could take a step back, in fact when I watch clips on you tube I never see wing chun fighters in this stance.

One good way to find out the wing chun stance is - use it when you are on the bus,train etc.

Dont forget what Yung Chun had told you "Try adjusting the position here and there until you feel comfortable enough to perform as needed.. "

I dont think it is right to train chi sau using more forward pressure with the stance.

Jack writes:

I dont think it is right to train chi sau using more forward pressure with the stance.
    Heavy pressure chi sao using the stance is probably one of the most useful ways to do chi sao for teaching purposes once basic mechanics are learned, and is an excellent developmental tool used in combination with very light chi sao, long bridge chi sao, and other variations done for development of certain attributes. It can be used as a hothouse to develop optimal body use and can be a great part of a clinch game, and can be used as a conditioning tool for that part of yor game (and other purposes as well). Heavy pressure is most about the clinch and learning structure and force.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Nice theory but….I still dont think it is right to train chi sau using more forward pressure with the stance.
    Imagine 2 persons train chi sau using more forward pressure with the stance & one is more muscular than the other one. The weaker one will has to put in more strength to defense himself & even more strength to attack his opponent. Soon he will become tired.
    Even if both of them are about the size, you will still get tired after some time.
    Maybe that is why JKT don’t really go for chi sau?

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    Nice theory but….I still dont think it is right to train chi sau using more forward pressure with the stance.
    Imagine 2 persons train chi sau using more forward pressure with the stance & one is more muscular than the other one. The weaker one will has to put in more strength to defense himself & even more strength to attack his opponent. Soon he will become tired.
    Even if both of them are about the size, you will still get tired after some time.
    Isn't getting tired a sign that you are developing muscle tone?

I agree with AndrewS. Varying the intensity and focus of chi sau session to target different attributes is a good idea.

...Oh, and the stronger one should be taught to only push his partner enough to help him train, anything else is disruptive to the learning.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Jack writes:

My experience in both learning and coaching is otherwise. Heavy pressure chi sao is a useful training tool I have seen utilized by all WT people I know with significant skill, is nearly a defining characteristic of certain WSL lines, and is used in YKS/SN line to good effect. Additionally I have seen mutual pressure drills using the characteristic body mechanics of a style advocated by excellent teachers of taiji (Chen), Xing Yi, escrima, and greco-roman wrestling as a sport-specific conditioning drill.

Even if both of them are about the size, you will still get tired after some time

Your point? Extremely light pressure chi sao can be remarkably fatiguing too, as can long bridge. So? You think skill comes without work? Are you arguing that Wing Chun is not a physical activity? If so, please go get in an argument with Terence, I'm sort of busy right now.

Andrew

magine 2 persons train chi sau using more forward pressure with the stance & one is more muscular than the other one. The weaker one will has to put in more strength to defense himself & even more strength to attack his opponent. Soon he will become tired. Even if both of them are about the size, you will still get tired after some time.
    The idea is to use the structure of the stance to exert the forward pressure, rather than the musculature. But, jeez, you mean the weaker or smaller guy is probably going to get tired before the bigger/stronger one? And if two guys of equal size are training hard, they will eventually get tired? Sort of like what will happen if they spar or fight?

WOW. You, my friend, are a real rocket scientist.

Maybe that's why I've never heard of JKT? Or do you mean JKD?

AS with Andrew and the others, I agree heavy forward pressure on occasion is a great tool for finding *****s in your chi sao armour, and developing strength in your bridges.

Andrew, appreciate the precise explanation of your impressions of the toes-in stance.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

finding *****s in your chi sao armour
    LOL at the site's censorship above.