Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sparring clip

Sparring clip

Guys.

Sparring clip from the Autodefence Wing Tchun Fight Team, Godalming Gym, England.
    Emphasis on control and mobility.
    http://youtube.com:80/watch?v=o0f0fFM8HIw

Cheers.
    BV.

Where's the close range moves? Exactly what WCK seems to specialize in seems to be missing from these exchanges...
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

I saw wing chun principles from the big baldheaded guy with the black tee shirt and the black shorts...although he didn't CLOSE into the opponent as often as he could have or should have, imo. He could have followed some of his moves up with some serious LINE OCCUPATION and forward pressure, multiple vertical fist striking, and with some simultaneous pak, lop, gum sao, etc. - possibly even some knee strikes...if he wanted to push it - assuming he's been trained to use those moves in the ways I'm thinking about it.

Then again, that would require some real head/face shots going down - and maybe that wasn't part of what they all agreed to, I don't know.

Anyway, that guy looked like he knew what he was doing - and with wing chun principles behind him.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 06-13-2007 at 12:47 PM.

IMO closing the gap and bringing the attack into close range is an essential and integral part of what WCK is all about..

Victor you have mentioned time and again how WCK's techs are 99% about inside fighting and yet here do we see inside work, or even the intent to get there?

At one point when the range closes we see not WCK inside work but a 'reverse body lock..'

To me, what makes WCK work, when it does, is in part about taking the attack into a range that is unfamiliar or less familiar to the opponent...

If we indeed fight the way we train then again to me, we need to train taking the fight to the inside.. To do otherwise is to train *to do* otherwise..

Perhaps not the best example but here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NZ3-Hi-kMNo

We see closing and attacking...
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

It's the longer range delivery system to the inside that I've been talking about (ie.- kind of like a boxing platform frame and footwork)...and then actually staying there while squaring up the shoulders so that your centerline faces his COM while pressuring forward - while putting the wing chun hands to work - that's the key.

He was using some wing chun principles from the outside longer range but he didn't follow up with the payload once he started to gain ground. That was my point.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 06-13-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Looks like a fun school to train at. Some decent stuff. I did notice one major thing. They never seemed to punch and use the ground. Like rooted not floating. I know it is light sparring but the punches lacked power even if they were to hit. I think they should spar with more speed and structure. You could always pull a punch. That doesn't mean it should be thrown without intent.
    Last edited by Mortal1; 06-13-2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Leaving aside the question of "where is the WCK?", where is the sparring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lb-CDEoPaE

Notice the training partners are really trying to hit one another? That's what makes it sparring.
    Last edited by t_niehoff; 06-13-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Leaving aside the question of "where is the WCK?", where is the sparring?
    Got any video of you sparring so we can see how it's done properly?

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Got any video of you sparring so we can see how it's done properly?

Why do you care how I do it? If you want to see it done "properly", just look at how good fighters do it.

thanks for putting the clip up, especially in front of the all the armchair critics...

i notice you're called the 'fight team' are your guys planning on competing at all?

Here's one that might be the best explanation for fighting yet

Right T?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5DnxxqiiZo

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

Thanks for that!

More quality instruction here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44FjU6ho4sI
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Hey Big Vern,

I enjoyed the clip in spite of some of the negative commentary that followed.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Why do you care how I do it? If you want to see it done "properly", just look at how good fighters do it.
    Err, because you are putting them down. You directly criticised these guys.
    Obviously you think you are better then them so you should back it up.

If you think you can't show them up, then don't throw stones from the glasshouse.
    Last edited by Edmund; 06-13-2007 at 05:26 PM.

When folks post videos here...

Other folks are going to have an opinion on the training shown. Posting the clip opens the door and invites comments--what others here think is good, bad or indifferent about it. Despite the fact that 'feelings may be hurt' this is how people can learn, debate, share ideas and discuss training methods..

IMO posting criticisms/opinions on training shown in videos is totally valid and appropriate so long as there are no personal attacks used...

In my comments I am posing my concerns re: said training methods and have no intention to disparage, insult others or otherwise be a weenie..
    Last edited by YungChun; 06-13-2007 at 05:45 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F