Thread: Reputable qi (chi) practice in Queens, N.Y...?

Hybrid View

Reputable qi (chi) practice in Queens, N.Y...?

Hello,

I am posting this in two areas, because I am not sure which area it really belongs. Perhaps both?

I am very interested in developing my qi (chi), and am looking for a school that can help me do that either through tai chi, or another internal form. I do like movement as opposed to static forms. However, I am on a mission and would be open to whatever it takes to further my goal of understanding and developing my chi.

I believe I already have some sensation and sense of chi particularly from my waist down. But I do not know how to understand and develop it to it’s full potential.

About 15 years ago I practiced tai chi under Master C.K. Chu in New York (Manhattan) for several months. I did enjoy it and understand the basic fundamentals. I felt all around healthier but stopped going before any potential (qi) could be realized (I wish I had stayed with it).

I know that Master Chu still teaches, but I am avoiding making the trip to Manhattan, since I live in Queens, New York and want to be closer to home. I intend on practicing regularly and I don’t want the trip to Manhattan to be an obstacle to my training.

So, I guess I am asking two questions:

1. What exercise is the best for developing qi (chi)?
    2. Where is there a “reputable” school / teacher in Queens, New York (Bayside, Flushing, etc) that can help a student realize their qi potential (given a student that is willing to do the work)?

I emphasize “reputable” because there are so many schools out there, that it makes one’s head spin. It seems impossible to “really know” by talking to someone on the phone or by looking at a website or a telephone book listing. I am hoping that someone in this community forum will be able to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance for your help. I realize that I am asking a question that may require more questions (of me). Great site. Keep it up.

Joe

I'll take a crack at question 1.

There probably is no best method. Do research, see what fits you best and go with that. There are often people asking about qigong in their area, there ends up being none. I recommend to them yoga, similar practice with similar benefits.

Find whats available near you and what fits your personality/needs.

Good Luck!
    Bless you

one size does not fit all

There is so much BS in "qi stuff" that it is easy to fool people that they do A B or C and then the result is qi mastery!
    That being said, most people have to figure out on their own the experiental definition based on their practice experience.
    Just follow the instructions according to your Master Chu. Sun Lutang said there are 3 things that are necessary for any CMA practice (most things for that matter) and they are practice, practice and practice! Some students take 2 months to learn something, others take 6 months and others take 1 years so the 1 size fit all rarely fits for training qi.

What are the steps to your regular training that you presently do? or have kept up with? GIve me the steps to your practice/training session/schedule!

If you pm me I can give you information about ways to develop high level gong.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FalunDafa=good View Post
    avoid this guy like the plague...

If you pm me I can give you information about ways to develop high level Dong.
    Fixed that for you too.

Thanks for the replies. I have only studied under Master Chu for several months about 1989 (God, I can't believe it's been that long). I wish I stayed with it because his method was very good for me personally. I had very bad back pain and it was relieved almost immediately during my practicing under him. I guess after the back pain was gone, I sort of lost the motivation to continue. Also, my life got a little complicated during that period as well.

So what have I been doing for practice / training etc? Well I am a retired 9/11 NYC firefighter with PTSD. I have been doing yoga for the last three months or so and have received no less than three injuries (two seem serious - ankle twisted badly in one leg and knee cartilidge may be torn in the other).

Anyway, I remember tai-chi and I remember it feeling GOOD. Of course I thought it was too slow at first, but hey, thats tai-chi. after looking on the internet and phonebooks, etc, I am thinking about going back to Master Chu because I know I can trust him and have great respect for him. However, Manhattan is not my favorite place to go after 9/11, (and I don't know if "chi" is his "expertise" or not), so I was trying to find a place closer to home to practice again.

During my few months of yoga I described a sensation to an instructor that I can generate at will in my legs (from approxiamtely the groin - down). I was told this might be "kundalini" ( another name for chi?). It's definitely a strange sensation and I never hear anyone talk about it socially, so I guess it is kind of rare - whatever it may be (okay, you're all allowed one joke each ). So, this is why I am interested in finding out more about chi and what it is and how to develop it. From what I have researched, you have to really know the body (meridians, etc) in order to be practice effectively.

Anyway, it's all kind of frustrating. I believe I have the qualities of a good student (respectful, responsible, timely, practice at home, study on my own time, etc). But I need someone who is not only experienced with chi, but who is willing to teach / share. I am not looking for shortcuts, and I don't mind how many years it takes. Or maybe it will never happen (develop chi). Whatever is meant to be is meant to be.

So this is why I am asking this question here. I suppose it may be a little naive of me to think that someone would teach me such a valuable treasure, but I certainly will not gain anything by not asking.

Thank you all for the comments and if you have any further comments / ideas i'd be happy to hear them.

Joe

If you PM me I can give you information about ways to develop your spelling.

Re: Forbearance

Your welcome,

IronWeasel