Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reputable qi (chi) practice in Queens, N.Y...?

Reputable qi (chi) practice in Queens, N.Y...?

Hello,

I am posting this in two areas, because I am not sure which area it really belongs. Perhaps both?

I am very interested in developing my qi (chi), and am looking for a school that can help me do that either through tai chi, or another internal form. I do like movement as opposed to static forms. However, I am on a mission and would be open to whatever it takes to further my goal of understanding and developing my chi.

I believe I already have some sensation and sense of chi particularly from my waist down. But I do not know how to understand and develop it to it’s full potential.

About 15 years ago I practiced tai chi under Master C.K. Chu in New York (Manhattan) for several months. I did enjoy it and understand the basic fundamentals. I felt all around healthier but stopped going before any potential (qi) could be realized (I wish I had stayed with it).

I know that Master Chu still teaches, but I am avoiding making the trip to Manhattan, since I live in Queens, New York and want to be closer to home. I intend on practicing regularly and I don’t want the trip to Manhattan to be an obstacle to my training.

So, I guess I am asking two questions:

1. What exercise is the best for developing qi (chi)?
    2. Where is there a “reputable” school / teacher in Queens, New York (Bayside, Flushing, etc) that can help a student realize their qi potential (given a student that is willing to do the work)?

I emphasize “reputable” because there are so many schools out there, that it makes one’s head spin. It seems impossible to “really know” by talking to someone on the phone or by looking at a website or a telephone book listing. I am hoping that someone in this community forum will be able to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance for your help. I realize that I am asking a question that may require more questions (of me). Great site. Keep it up.

Joe

I'll take a crack at question 1.

There probably is no best method. Do research, see what fits you best and go with that. There are often people asking about qigong in their area, there ends up being none. I recommend to them yoga, similar practice with similar benefits.

Find whats available near you and what fits your personality/needs.

Good Luck!
    Bless you

one size does not fit all

There is so much BS in "qi stuff" that it is easy to fool people that they do A B or C and then the result is qi mastery!
    That being said, most people have to figure out on their own the experiental definition based on their practice experience.
    Just follow the instructions according to your Master Chu. Sun Lutang said there are 3 things that are necessary for any CMA practice (most things for that matter) and they are practice, practice and practice! Some students take 2 months to learn something, others take 6 months and others take 1 years so the 1 size fit all rarely fits for training qi.

What are the steps to your regular training that you presently do? or have kept up with? GIve me the steps to your practice/training session/schedule!

If you pm me I can give you information about ways to develop high level gong.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FalunDafa=good View Post
    avoid this guy like the plague...

If you pm me I can give you information about ways to develop high level Dong.
    Fixed that for you too.

Thanks for the replies. I have only studied under Master Chu for several months about 1989 (God, I can't believe it's been that long). I wish I stayed with it because his method was very good for me personally. I had very bad back pain and it was relieved almost immediately during my practicing under him. I guess after the back pain was gone, I sort of lost the motivation to continue. Also, my life got a little complicated during that period as well.

So what have I been doing for practice / training etc? Well I am a retired 9/11 NYC firefighter with PTSD. I have been doing yoga for the last three months or so and have received no less than three injuries (two seem serious - ankle twisted badly in one leg and knee cartilidge may be torn in the other).

Anyway, I remember tai-chi and I remember it feeling GOOD. Of course I thought it was too slow at first, but hey, thats tai-chi. after looking on the internet and phonebooks, etc, I am thinking about going back to Master Chu because I know I can trust him and have great respect for him. However, Manhattan is not my favorite place to go after 9/11, (and I don't know if "chi" is his "expertise" or not), so I was trying to find a place closer to home to practice again.

During my few months of yoga I described a sensation to an instructor that I can generate at will in my legs (from approxiamtely the groin - down). I was told this might be "kundalini" ( another name for chi?). It's definitely a strange sensation and I never hear anyone talk about it socially, so I guess it is kind of rare - whatever it may be (okay, you're all allowed one joke each ). So, this is why I am interested in finding out more about chi and what it is and how to develop it. From what I have researched, you have to really know the body (meridians, etc) in order to be practice effectively.

Anyway, it's all kind of frustrating. I believe I have the qualities of a good student (respectful, responsible, timely, practice at home, study on my own time, etc). But I need someone who is not only experienced with chi, but who is willing to teach / share. I am not looking for shortcuts, and I don't mind how many years it takes. Or maybe it will never happen (develop chi). Whatever is meant to be is meant to be.

So this is why I am asking this question here. I suppose it may be a little naive of me to think that someone would teach me such a valuable treasure, but I certainly will not gain anything by not asking.

Thank you all for the comments and if you have any further comments / ideas i'd be happy to hear them.

Joe

If you PM me I can give you information about ways to develop your spelling.

Re: Forbearance

Your welcome,

IronWeasel

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Tiger View Post
    During my few months of yoga I described a sensation to an instructor that I can generate at will in my legs (from approxiamtely the groin - down).
    That is around where kundalini is. In the groin area, the primary chakra is 'root'. While you are starting with energy generating in the groin, when you pass it to another part of the body (in this case, the legs), you activate the energy centers and exchange points in the new area more than normal, upping the level of energy being generated from those spots. The levels will go back down, but over time, the unstimulated spots will up their normal energy output.

[quote]I was told this might be "kundalini" ( another name for chi?).

Yes and no on it being another name for chi. Yes, it is part of etheric energy just higher than other etheric forms, like electricity, but it is different. Kundalini energy is such a raw, primal form of chi, which makes it so unlike any other chi that's originating from the other primary chakras. The next primary chakra up uses sexual energy. That, too, is a strong and primal form of chi in a less refined form, but isn't as intense as kundalini energy.

It's so strong that without the proper guidence, it can cause things, like insanity, death, comas, etc. This comes from when you just do it as a visual exercise. 99.9999 ad infinitum % of people would experience some degree of side-effects from doing the visual processes alone. There are some effects that are much more mild, like depression, headaches, confusion, etc. The thing is to also do the physical exercises to help with the physcal side of things and an outside observer to better recognize if something wrong is happening. Someone that can recognize the signs. If they're an energy healer of some kind, that's really good to have to help counteract the effects, as they develop.

It's definitely a strange sensation and I never hear anyone talk about it socially, so I guess it is kind of rare - whatever it may be (okay, you're all allowed one joke each ).
    It's less rare and more concern about screwing someone up long distance.

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post

It's so strong that without the proper guidence, it can cause things, like insanity, death, comas, etc. This comes from when you just do it as a visual exercise. 99.9999 ad infinitum % of people would experience some degree of side-effects from doing the visual processes alone. There are some effects that are much more mild, like depression, headaches, confusion, etc. The thing is to also do the physical exercises to help with the physcal side of things and an outside observer to better recognize if something wrong is happening. Someone that can recognize the signs. If they're an energy healer of some kind, that's really good to have to help counteract the effects, as they develop.
    I'm sorry, but is there any proof of this? Any? At all? I mean look, I'm a religious man myself, but you make it sound like Science of Spiritual Energy than what it really is, Hinduism. It's a whole belief system, and frankly, I don't know how valid the claim of "Kundalini death" is.

Look at the logic of it. When you look at the the primary chakras along the spine, there is an increasing refinement to the energy that's being used by that particular chakra, as you go up the spine. Now, things like death are one of the more rare occurences, but it can happen. Kundalini is the most dense of the forms of energy used by the chakras, the one most closely in line to the density of the material world. The chakra associated with sexual energy is the next most dense and so on. The reason why death is rare is becauses it depends on the person raising their kundalini (the 'framework' that's being used from the get go before kundalini raising starts) and how they raise it. Doing the physical movements help direct the energy to help better control it, as the level of energy output increases more and more. The physical body, as well as its counterparts in the other realms of reality, can only contain and control a certain amount of energy at any one time. Those levels can be increased with practice, like working out in a gym and putting on muscle mass. And just like in the gym, you can do too much and hurt yourself. How you hurt yourself depends on not only the act you did that caused it to happen, but also the state your body was in before the act that caused the damage.

A lot of the time, it's the overexertion and stress you put on your body that would kill. And you can certainly do that in the gym, by giving yourself things like a heart attack or bursting a blood vessel in the brain.

Thanks for the responses. I went today to see Master Chu and join his school again. He has been around a long time and I feel better about not just throwing a dart at a phone book.

I mentioned the "kundalini / chi" thing to him and he said that tingling is one thing, but that chi creates "heat". I told him I did not experience heat when I generate this tingling sensation.

As it turns out, there is alot of emphasis on chi devopment as part of his training. He teaches Nei Kung which is described on his website:

"Nei Kung is an internal system of Chi Kung, employing slow, deep breathing and requiring a relaxed physical stance and mental attitude. (The external approach to cultivating chi is characterized by heavy breathing and rapid diaphragmatic exercises.) Nei Kung practice charges up the body's energy.

Nei Kung has been refined, and handed down from Master to Master since the time of Yellow Emperor (2696--2598 b.c.e.). It evolved from the Taoists' search for a way to rejuvenate and heal the body, to increase internal strength and energy.

There is a saying in China that if you pursue the Ch'uan (fighting technqiue) without practicing (Nei) Kung, when you reach old age you will not have anything to show for your efforts. Great importance is traditionally placed on the study of Nei Kung in conjunction with Tai Chi Chuan. In order to attain a high level of ability in Tai Chi, one must know and practice Nei Kung diligently".

So, I started a class today and I am already reaping the benefits of it. It sounds crazy, but being in and out of horse stance for 60 minutes (the first few positions only require hand movements) really "opens you up". I walked differently, sat differently and just generally felt relaxed and healthy on the drive home.

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably move my future comments into the Tai Chi forum, unless I have some specific meditation and/or chi questions. Which reminds me - does anyone know of a generally well accepted book on qi / chi? I'm talking about a basic but thorough (with respect to the fundamentals) writing on the subject. Again, thanks for the responses.

Joe

Not everyone feels heat. I feel heat, but that's just me. Some may feel cold, some might feel a buzzing sensation, some still feel nothing after decades of practice. It happens.

As for a book, pretty much anything by Yang Wing Ming and Mantak Chia I'd recommend. I worked with the practices from both of them, as well as other sources, but I'd recommend these 2 specifically.

RonH,

Thanks for the reply and info. I'll look into the books. Thanks.

Joe

the 8 brocades are a good place to start. chi for health
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.