Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kilt Wearers Unite!!

An army of two

A friend of mine wore a kilt to my wedding. And I've been to another wedding where the groom wore a kilt. I know a few kilt wearers in the music scene here. But keep in mind, here is S.F.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,

Nothing better to bring people to the Martial Arts Mart vending table then if you are wearing a kilt.

Worked for me, and it can work for you.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

If you're wearing a kilt, where do you put your wallet?

If your friend decides to pop up, what happens?

Both serious questions.

And.....do you chap in the winters?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    If you're wearing a kilt, where do you put your wallet?
    In your sporran, or your wife's purse.

If your friend decides to pop up, what happens?
    That's also what your sporran is for!

Both serious questions.
    Both serious answers...
    Matt Stone

Check yo sporran

Caught this in the SF Chron two daze ago. Thought of ya, Dale...

Scots Forced to Prove Origins of Sporran
    By BEN MCCONVILLE
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007
    (06-26) 10:35 PDT EDINBURGH, Scotland (AP)

It's considered rude to ask a Scotsman what he keeps in his sporran, but now kilt wearers may be forced to produce licenses that show their traditional purses aren't made from endangered wildlife.

New legislation in the European Union says the owner of any sporran made later than 1994 has to prove that the animal was not endangered or killed illegally. The law is aimed at protecting wild animals such as badgers, otters, hedgehogs and wild cats.

"I have been inundated with calls from customers worried they are now breaking the law," said Malcolm Scott of Edinburgh sporran makers William Scott & Sons. "I haven't seen an otter sporran in 40 years and we stopped using badger about 30 years ago. What they really should be concentrating on is foreign-made sporrans, which are killing this traditional industry."

The sporran is a leather or fur purse that hangs just below the belt buckle of full Highland dress. Although its contents are often a mystery, Scotsmen often keep a flask of whisky in it.

The ruling has sent the industry into a spin as sporran makers and Highland dress shops are trying to determine if their products fall under the ban. The maximum fine for breaking the law is nearly $10,000 or six months in jail.

Scott & Son employs 20 craftsmen producing more than 2,000 sporrans a year, that are sold around the world from Alaska to Australia. Scott said his sporrans were made from legally sourced seal hide or synthetic materials.

More macho than a man bag, the sporran's origins are in the medieval belt pouches. But it also serves the purpose of protecting the wearer's modesty, especially if he is upholding the tradition of wearing nothing beneath the kilt.

"The law is really aimed at taxidermists, but sporrans do fall into the same bracket," said a spokesman for the Scottish Executive, Scotland's devolved government, on condition of anonymity in line with government policy.

"We are talking about protecting species such as badger and otter. Anyone who has a sporran made of these animals or a stuffed animal which they perhaps inherited should make sure they have proof of where it came from."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks Gene!!

Ill be sending you an article your way soon about being a first time teacher at the ZSF.

Be well,

Dale

That's not a kilt Dale! That is a manskirt!

See kilts are, by definition made with a clansman's tartan. If you aren't clan affiliated, you can sometimes get away with wearing a military or sport tartan, although legitimate members of the team/service you got it from might take exception... no tartan = no kilt.

From the Utilikilt website:

"It is often suggested that Utilikilts* brand utility kilts are not 'real kilts.' This is 100% TRUE!

'Real Kilts' are defined as: 'A knee-length skirt with deep pleats, usually of a tartan wool, worn as part of the dress for men in the Scottish Highlands.'

Utilikilts* brand utility kilts, on the other hand, are manskirts..."

And why, do you ask, have I gone to all the trouble to point this out?

Because I'm JEALOUS. I've been saving up for my clan kilt for ages, and something always comes up. At least those Utilikilts are affordable.

Plus I like thinking of Dale in a "manskirt".

Don't ask why.

Yeah my own mothers clan tartan for me would be an investment of 3 grand or more to have it made.

Plus my exgirlfriend founded Utilikilts with her boyfriend in Seattle and I like being in a six degrees of separation connection with them....

The requirement of kilts to be fashioned from clan tartans is the result of bad history and cultural urban legend.

First, kilts aren't the historical garment of Highland Scots. There's no real historical basis for the wearing of kilts prior to the 16th century (which means "Braveheart" was wholly inaccurate, showing 13th century Scots wearing 16th century garments).

Second, the tartans of the 16th century were made from whatever material was on hand, or more importantly whatever material you could afford. By the 18th century, tartan color schemes had become quite varied and vivid.

Third, it wasn't until about 30 years after the end of the Jacobite rebellion that clans started creating their own tartan patterns (c. 1800).

Fourth, it was the resurgence of Scottish pride in the 19th century that led to the fad of Scots wanting to know what "their" clan tartan was. Out of this grew the false notion that to wear a kilt, the tartan "must" be a clan tartan. The history of kilt wear in the first place does not support such an idea.

Bottom line - wear kilts (because real men wear them and they are a traditional manly garment), and wear them in whatever color or tartan you like. I got my first one from www.sportkilt.com, as they're affordable, washable, and now they adhere even more closely to traditional styling while still being more affordable than anyone else.

Enjoy.
    Matt Stone

Dale

Ill be sending you an article your way soon about being a first time teacher at the ZSF.
    We're not really interested in that subject. It's too specific. We're already doing coverage of TJL. Alas, you should have come to my talk. I went to yours (well, I took some pics ). Anyway, here's our submission guidelines. We'd be interested in something *fresh* on Iron Palm.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We're not really interested in that subject. It's too specific. We're already doing coverage of TJL. Alas, you should have come to my talk. I went to yours (well, I took some pics ). Anyway, here's our submission guidelines. We'd be interested in something *fresh* on Iron Palm.
    Being a one man show I wanted to make the most of my vending time at the festival. I do apologize for not going. I know My brother Bob Maio went so I will have to pick his brain...

Ill be emailing you off forum to chat about a fresh take on iron palm.

Dale

no apology needed

I'm just teasing. I know how busy you were there. Actually, Dr. Painter gave me grief because he told Bob to attend and then I talked about other stuff than just straight up "how to get an article published in KFTC".

Email is the best way to handle any article queries.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Can I ask a dumb question?

Do women wear sporans? I noticed the Sport Kilts have women's kilts. But nothing was said about women's sporans. Does this meen women don't wear them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    For those members of forum who don’t happen to be of Highland Scot’s decent you don’t need to despair as you can also get Irish kilts & Northumberland kilts & believe it of not, even Welsh kilts.
    Last edited by Mano Mano; 07-23-2007 at 12:09 PM.