Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attention Gene Ching, I got a question on Tibet

In 1986 I was first introduced to tibetan bhudism when I visired a dharma center
    in upstate NY.I became quite involved whith this center and eventauly took
    residecnce there.
    In 1988 I went to India with our Lama and a bunch of others.While there I stayed
    at maybe 10 different tibeten monastaries in north india.We stayed there three
    months.
    After coming back I stayed at the center for another year.I was involved with
    more than few a former tibeten nationals bolth monastics and lay people alike.
    I have visted a couple off chinese budhist monasteries.
    Having sead all that I will tell you that I have never ever, ever heard or seen any
    tibetan, monk or other wise, practice or refer to martial arts.I have seen monks
    wrestle a little and compete in matcho games like college kids do but nothing
    that resembles any structured martial art.Alot of them do like kungfu movies
    though.
    The very first chinese budhist monastary I ever went to there was you a big
    martial arts demeo.
    There was a very famous Dharma Master in NY Chinatown that that had a daily
    habit of practicing MAs.I think he died in his 80s.
    I have seen in the past 20+ years more than a couple real ordained chinese monks(they were all over 50 yrs old) who new a little or more than a little MAs.
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

Is it possible to read any more of these writings from Gene Ching

There's plenty of my writings all over the place, but if you're looking for more specific to Tibet, that's all I've written at this time and I don't foresee doing more research in this area in the immediate future.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Diego sez

I've heard mutters about the darkside of tibet...read an article breaking down myths, talking about ghandi was rascist to blacks, mother theresa was a spiritual pimp fundraising hustler, and dali llama was mean or something...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Merely because an article somewhere says something doesnt make it true.
    Its "Gandhi" not "ghandi" btw. There wasnt a racist bone in his body. During the Boer War he volunteered for ambulance work- involving wounded black africans- neither the Boers or the Brits would deal with the wounded blacks directly. When asked about segregation in the US he said that civil rights for blacks would best be led by an American black and leadership is bound to emerge because segregation was evil.
    Martin Luther King was deeply influenced by Gandhi and his approach to non violent resistance. MLK also at one time travelled to India to meet with people who knew Gandhi well. Gandhi's methods also influenced Cesar Chavez's non violent protests. Gandhi was human but racism was not one of his vices.

I do not belong to Mother Teresa's religion and am no advocate of missionary work and do not agree with her views on birth control.But her relief work is/was extraordinary and genuine. She did service work that many others were not doing. I have visited her center at Sealdah station and her relief work in Kalighat. BTW I ran into Muhammad Ali when he was also visiting Mother Theresa. Its insulting to call her work pimping. She has helped many children and women in desperate circumstances.

Best to read more completely about both figures.

Extraordinary human beings.Neither Gandhi nor Theresa were myths.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    I've heard mutters about the darkside of tibet...read an article breaking down myths, talking about ghandi was rascist to blacks, mother theresa was a spiritual pimp fundraising hustler, and dali llama was mean or something...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Merely because an article somewhere says something doesnt make it true.
    Its "Gandhi" not "ghandi" btw. There wasnt a racist bone in his body. During the Boer War he volunteered for ambulance work- involving wounded black africans- neither the Boers or the Brits would deal with the wounded blacks directly. When asked about segregation in the US he said that civil rights for blacks would best be led by an American black and leadership is bound to emerge because segregation was evil.
    Martin Luther King was deeply influenced by Gandhi and his approach to non violent resistance. MLK also at one time travelled to India to meet with people who knew Gandhi well. Gandhi's methods also influenced Cesar Chavez's non violent protests. Gandhi was human but racism was not one of his vices.

I do not belong to Mother Teresa's religion and am no advocate of missionary work and do not agree with her views on birth control.But her relief work is/was extraordinary and genuine. She did service work that many others were not doing. I have visited her center at Sealdah station and her relief work in Kalighat. BTW I ran into Muhammad Ali when he was also visiting Mother Theresa. Its insulting to call her work pimping. She has helped many children and women in desperate circumstances.

Best to read more completely about both figures.

Extraordinary human beings.Neither Gandhi nor Theresa were myths.

joy chaudhuri
    Well I seen it on TV so it musta been true....

it was one of those shows that debunks popular myths...and I've read differant articles speaking on these things before viewing the television program.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    I read a book on the tibetan 5 rites way back in the 90's at the local library, and just found this link showing the rites...yall seen this?

http://www.night-thunder.com/fivesecret.html#detox

this link has the original photo's in the book

http://www.berrybesthealth.com/tibetans.html

Right, I learned this set a few years back from my southeren blue dragon teacher. He had picked it up somewhere (prolly that same book for all I know) and held on to it as he really enjoys his chi workouts. It is a good little set but just doesn't hold a candle to the energy work we do with Pak Hok Pai. I haven't done this set in a couple years but it was required training in the s.b.d. class and was fun and easy to learn/teach.

Maoist martial artists

This evokes that unspoken part of the CR and the banning of MA. It's true that many MAtists suffered hardships during the CR, but what about the Maoists ones?
    Himalmedia staff, editors beaten up

Himalayan News Service
    Himal magazine’s special correspondent Dambar Krishna Shrestha showing the wounds inflicted by the group headed by president of the All Nepal Hotel and Restaurant Workers’ Union Ramesh Panta in Lalitpur office of Himal on Sunday.
    Himal magazine’s special correspondent Dambar Krishna Shrestha showing the wounds inflicted by the group headed by president of the All Nepal Hotel and Restaurant Workers’ Union Ramesh Panta in Lalitpur office of Himal on Sunday.
    Kathmandu, December 21:

• Presidents of Maoist-affiliated trade unions led the attack
    • Martial arts experts involved: Dixit

Continuing their attacks on the media, Maoists today attacked Himalmedia injuring at least 12 senior journalists and other senior-level employees.
    A group of some 50 persons led by president of the Maoist-affiliated All Nepal Hotel and Restaurant Workers’ Union (ANHRWU) Ramesh Panta stormed into the meeting hall of Himalmedia’s Hattiban office at noon.
    The group attacked Chief Executive Officer of Himalmedia Ashutosh Tiwari as soon as the Lalitpur chief of Maoist-affiliated All Nepal Communications, Printing and Publication Workers’ Union (ANCPPWU) Ramesh KC identified him.
    They also attacked the editor of Nepali Times weekly, Kunda Dixit, executive editor of Him-al Khabarpatrika — a vernacular fortnightly — Kiran Nepal, its senior reporter Dambar Krishna Shrestha, Shambhu Guragain, finance manager Bindira Shakya, Surendra Sharma, Subhash Kumar Das, Karma Lama and Bir Bahadur Tamang. They also vandalised the office and left the scene after 15 minutes of vandalism.
    The unions had threatened Himalmedia for writing against the workers in its latest issue. Earlier, they had torched the copies of the news magazine and vandalised its distribution office.
    “These people appeared to be martial arts experts. They had military training. One of them could kick a tall person like me in the head,” said Kunda Dixit. Dambar Krishna Shrestha suffered the most while trying to protect Kunda.
    “They asked me who I was. When I replied I was a journalist, they said, ‘Oh you’re not a worker but a journalist,’ and beat me up,” Shrestha said.
    Bindira Shrestha, the finance manager was hit in the chest. CEO Ashutosh Tiwari’s glasses were broken and was injured in the eye. Surendra Sharma of the administration was also beaten up.
    “All of these people are Maoists, and we should stop calling them by any other name,” Kunda said. “They are fully controlled by the party.” None of the people had worked in Himal Khabarpatrika before. Meanwhile, Maoist spokesperson Dinanath Sharma said his party had no policy to attack the media and such incidents should be independently probed and the guilty should be booked. “Such incidents should not be politicised,” he said, maintaining that the incident was the result of internal conflict between the workers and the owners.
    Following the attack, a delegation of the members of Parliament visited the Himal office, including Nabindra Raj Joshi, KP Oli, Amrit Bohara and Ishwar Pokhrel. Former CPN-UML general secretary Madhav Kumar Nepal too visited the Himalmedia office following the attack. They said it was not just an attack against Himal, but the whole media and democracy.
    “The attacks are simply due to impunity,” Kunda Dixit said. “We are waiting to see if the government had the guts to take action against these criminals. We know the names of at least two of them. They just stormed inside our office, and began to thrash people. They must be punished for that.”
    A number of organisations, including political parties, have condemned the Maoist attack on free press and demanded an end to impunity. The Federation of Nepali Journalists, Human Rights Activists, Reporters Club Nepal and The Himalayan Times Chapter of FNJ have condemned the attack.
    Chief of the Metropolitan Police Range Lalitpur Kedar Man Singh Bhandari said he visited the spot and the police were searching the two people involved in the attack. He said window-panes were smashed and the partition walls of the board room were vandalised.
    President of the Democratic Lawyers Association Upendra Neupane has also condemned the attack on Himalmedia.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Well clearly any martial art that communicates mao-thought is a blessing to the people.

And what other martial art teaches you to use a tiny red book as a deadly weapon?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.