Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
Small joint manipulation...sheesh.

We aren't talking about techniques or joint locks. If you think ground fighting is only about the lock, then you know nothing about ground fighting at all.

Positional dominance and transitions are the main components of fighting on the ground. Without position, you cannot lock someone or hold them down.

CMA DOES NOT HAVE a method for training positional dominance or transitions from less dominant to more dominant positions, and without position, you cannot get a submission.

Disagree? Show me a pure CMA technique to pass the guard.
Look, MK, I agree with you on positional dominance, guard, and transition. But you have to often sacrifice protection from small joint manipulation in order to get that kind of position or leverage. A good BJJ guy can trap my hands and render them immobile. But sometimes, even against the black belts I rolled with for like 5 seconds before they pinned me or submitted me (hahaha, but true), I knew I could grab that finger on my lapel instead of grabbing the wrist, and wrenched that sucker till it broke. It would keep him from grabbing me with that hand, or punching me with it (if BJJ had strikes). All I'm saying is that a good chin-na guy could do what I can do infinitely better.

BTW, there was a dude there with one arm that was severed at the elbow, and he was awesome, because he had mastered using leverage. But if I broke his one good hand, he'd be ****ed.