Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "National Survey" of Chinese Martial Arts post Culteral Revolution

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

"National Survey" of Chinese Martial Arts post Culteral Revolution

Does anyone know where the entire series is being sold?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

ttt

what? no one? I remember seeing these listed on a website years ago and have seen reference to it on youtube...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

The best I could find was this, though it isn't entirely what you wanted.

Edit: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...hp?article=501

I think it's been compiled into one big crapfest known as "this is kungfu"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

really? wasn't it like dozens of tapes?

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I thought Shaolin Brand sold them.
    Hmmm.... guess you're NOT back.....

Yeah, it was dozens of tapes, but I haven`t seen any of them advertised for a couple of years.

ok, thanks.

Hmmm.... guess you're NOT back.....

Reply]
    Huh? What?

The survey

The videos that were marketed as part of the National Martial Art Survey were originally sold by our magazine's founder, Roger Hagood. There were somewhere around 125 videos offered in our premiere issue, seven pages of ads for it. These were all sold under the heading "National Survey of China's Martial Art 1983-1986." Prices ranged from $19.95 to a whopping $79.95 per tape, with most falling in the $49 range (I could only find one $19.95). Truth be told, these weren't all from the survey. They were a mixed bag of tournament footage, instructional videos and of course, the survey.

Hagood left the magazine after only two years, turning it over to its present publisher, Gigi Oh. We no longer carry those videos because the source was dubious. It wasn't clear whether or not Hagood had actually acquired the rights to distribute these videos and the quality on many of them was extremely poor. Many appeared to have been recorded off of CCTV broadcasts, so there is a lot of flicker since the camera wasn't in synch with the refresh rate of the TV screen. There were many complaints about the quality of the product. I don't think that Hagood still sells them publicly. I'm not even sure if he's still involved with Shaolin Brand, which was the company he founded after leaving the magazine.

This is Kung Fu (1983) was a documentary that was made in the wake of Jet Li's debut blockbuster, Shaolin Temple (1982). It precedes the survey.

Sadly, much of the Survey is lost. The China State Sports Commission, which funded the survey, eliminated the program and most of the research was simply thrown away. We just published two articles by one of the leaders of the survey, Wu Xinliang. See Searching for the Sources of Emei Kung Fu in our May June and July August 2007 issues. He recalls recovering some of the research by digging through the local recycle center to find discarded papers.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

thanks, Gene.

I shoulda put one of those tongue out smilies after my comment. lol

still, I wouldn't call "this is kungfu" a documentary.

It's more like when you go to china town and you find a store that has a million pieces of crap in it most of which you have no use for whatsoever.

I am going to hazard a guess that the "survey" was much the same.

some gems, mostly coal.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The thing with the survey, as far as I've been led to believe, is that it was exhaustive. They documented performances of hundreds of "folk" masters, and if all this material has been lost then it is a real tragedy.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Not all the material was lost

We recently acquired the rights to some of a newly developed grandmaster series. Vintage film of thirteen grandmasters from the survey was combined with new footage of their disciples breaking down forms for an instructional series. It's interesting stuff. We're doing some reformatting on it, but expect the first titles to be released for the American market this fall.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart