Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "National Survey" of Chinese Martial Arts post Culteral Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    diego - Magnetic tape (video or audio) should be rewound periodically. Exposure to magnets can mess up magnetic tape. The tape itself is magnetic. Therefore, if you just leave your tapes un-spun for a while, you're essentially leaving them next to magnetic field (albeit a very low level magnetic field). Magnetic tape is impressionable which is why you can record over it so easily, so even this low level exposure will have degrading effects over time. This is why you run them, just so the tape doesn't wind up sitting to the exact same magnetic field for too long.

Sal- Do you have the new teaching versions with the application breakdowns or the original footage of from the survey?

RD- We couldn't sell them because we don't have the rights. If Sal sells them, it will be copyright infringement. He might be able to argue that he's only duping them and the money he takes is just duplicating fees, but if called to task, he'd be arguing that against Hagood's lawyers. Beware.

Through this thread, I just discovered I have access to the entire series within a friend's personal library (not Sal, another friend).
    I have both the new (on DVD) and the original survey tapes on VHS.

Well, I have to transfer them to DVD to preserve them, that's a necessity.
    Maybe I will sell the tapes once I do that.

Yeah, I won't be publicly selling any copies, of course.

Someone has been releasing the survey tapes on VCD and they totally STINK!!!

They reedited them to break them up into specific topics (Shaolin, TJQ, Bagua, etc etc).

BUT:

They cut off the ends of most of the forms, they start after the set already started, they put 1/4 of stuff with old masters doing their forms, and then they pad the rest of the discs with modern wushu grap that doesn't even match what the vcd is titled,
    stay away from these vcds, they are a real rip off!

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Do you have a link?
    I don't want to call attention to them. I reviewed some and they were the worst edited things I have ever seen in my whole life. Total garbage. I sent them back.

You can find them on cmaod, earthworks, and jarek's site.

Just garbage.

Have you done translation or remastered subtitles for them, or are they still in Chinese?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

They came with some translation

We did a little re-mastering/reformatting. Some of the titles are a little funky. Frankly, it's hard to translate a form like zhong zhuang ba chui 中桩八捶 so we smoothed some of that over a little. But there's English for you. There's applications too - that, and the Grandmasters themselves - are the big two sell points in my mind. The Grandmasters demonstrate the form and the students break it down and show the applications.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Most of the masters seem to be from Sichuan.

Are they eventually releasing more from other masters from elsewhere?

This
    Grandmaster Zhang Shaobo: New Hong Fist http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd-og009.html

is from master doing the Shanxi Sanyuan Hong (red) Quan system, which is originally from the Zhao Men (as in Zhao Kuang Yin, Song Tai Tzu emperor) system in Sichuan province.

Zhao Men is a collection of sets that arrived in Sichuan during the Song dynasty, and is named of ZKY in honor of him.

I have the whole set of DVDs from China, there are more sets by Zhang Shaobo from the Sanyuan Hong Men system, there are 3 in total.

------------------------

This one:
    Grandmaster Gao Chunhe: Hong Gate Hands
    http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd-og005.html

is of the Ming military Hong Quan style, entirely unrelated to the other Hong styles.
    Also the Wu Song DVD there is part of the system too.
    It is a long fist tiger system from the 1700s, later incorporated into what became southern tiger based martial arts. I think it is originally from Shandong Black Tiger style.
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 10-15-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Most of the masters seem to be from Sichuan

Good observation, Sal. It's a Sichuan-based project. I have no idea if they will do more or not.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

do these dvds show the hidden or the superficial applications?