Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fascinating read on Bruce Lee

Fascinating read on Bruce Lee

http://www.karateconnection.com/UNSETTLEDMATTERS.pdf

Interesting biography on his upbringing, career, affairs, anabolic steroid and other drug use.

I only read parts of it, but found the portions about steroids to be absolutely ridiculous and near laughable. What is the point of listing side effects such as increased libido? And including some anecdotal reference from a high school athlete? Come on.

Where was the evidence to support such claims? Mear hearsay from one person was used to ignite the authors tangent?

-IDK, I am not challenging you in anyway, just some of the authors claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinrohrman View Post
    I only read parts of it, but found the portions about steroids to be absolutely ridiculous and near laughable. What is the point of listing side effects such as increased libido? And including some anecdotal reference from a high school athlete? Come on.

Where was the evidence to support such claims? Mear hearsay from one person was used to ignite the authors tangent?

-IDK, I am not challenging you in anyway, just some of the authors claims.

I think the purpose of mentioning the side effects of steriod use, which the author states were not well understood at the time, is to present his theory that Bruce's behavioral (and physical) problems were drug-induced, and not part of his innate character. Sure, Bruce had a bit of an ego and is even quoted in the story to have admitted, "I'm not saying I'm modest...," but this story presents his psychological problems as being more severe than those of a self-centered kid.

I haven't finished reading the story either (I'm about half-way through it), but it sounds like it is going down the path of suggesting an alternate theory for cause of Bruce's death. I can't wait to finish reading this, but I'm too tired to continue at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    http://www.karateconnection.com/UNSETTLEDMATTERS.pdf

Interesting biography on his upbringing, career, affairs, anabolic steroid and other drug use.

great find, thanks for sharing.

Behavoural influences

Speculation also suggests that Mr Lee used Ma Huang as a stimulant, which could also be a cause for various mood changes. Ma Huang effects, blood pressure, heart rate, thins the blood, increases core temperature, and metabolic rate.
    Kune Belay Sau

Yes, and prolonged use of Mahuang, especially at high doses, would kill.

Since Bruce seemed the type to gravitate to excess, so Mahuang abuse could DEFENETLY be related and in a major way.

Giving Bl the credit he deserves for being one of the first to openly preach cross training in the MA, its a sad statement that he felt he need to push himself so much to be "the best".
    One wonders if he had had the chance to live longer, how much that would have changed, how much he would have changed, how much JKD would have changed.

As it is, he was he own worse enemy.

Bruce Lee also bought one of those machines the PT people use, it sends an electric pulse to your muscles and makes them twitch, to exercise the muscles. When I tore my shoulder they used it, for a few minutes.... stories say that he hooked himself up to it for HOURS.... wonder how healthy that was?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Had a conversation with Dan Inosanto back in 1979 that included Dan mentioning something about Bruce that I always found startling in it's obsessive-compulsiveness...

Dan said that since Bruce liked to push his workouts for hours and hours non-stop in this quest to be the absolute best fighter (in the world?)...so Bruce had some sort of medical procedure done wherein his sweat glands were actually cut - so that he wouldn't have to stop and constantly dry off (or take a shower)...

and could keep on training for hours on end.

My God.
    Worked out well for him eh?

The silliness of things...

It seems the one lesson he never quite learned was that Quality trumps Quantity every time.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Bruce Lee also bought one of those machines the PT people use, it sends an electric pulse to your muscles and makes them twitch, to exercise the muscles. When I tore my shoulder they used it, for a few minutes.... stories say that he hooked himself up to it for HOURS.... wonder how healthy that was?
    the sad part is that, reasearch has since shown that using neuromuscular stim in this way does nothing to actually build muscle strength in the least (unless something new has come out which I am unaware of)

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    the sad part is that, reasearch has since shown that using neuromuscular stim in this way does nothing to actually build muscle strength in the least (unless something new has come out which I am unaware of)
    so, what you are saying, is that it is an ineffective as that vaccuum pump tube you bought for yourself back in the 1990's
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    so, what you are saying, is that it is an ineffective as that vaccuum pump tube you bought for yourself back in the 1990's
    *rimshot *

They are god to keep muscle from atrophing (sp?) due to in-activity.

The EMS thing, not the swedish vaccum pump.

Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun
    Dan said that since Bruce liked to push his workouts for hours and hours non-stop in this quest to be the absolute best fighter (in the world?)...so Bruce had some sort of medical procedure done wherein his sweat glands were actually cut - so that he wouldn't have to stop and constantly dry off (or take a shower)...
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Worked out well for him eh?
    The silliness of things...
    Actually, if you read the biography, the sweat gland thing was a result of a possible misdiagnosis by the doctor. Had nothing to do with him not wanting to take a shower.

That's it!

Sweat gland removal tomorrow...without showering I shall have even more time to spend on here...I mean train.
    A unique snowflake