Thread: Chi Lin

Hybrid View

Chi Lin

Does any one in here have an knowledge of Chi Lin?

Thanks
    ------------------------------
    When your hand is extended withdraw your anger,
    When your anger is extended withdraw your hand.

Qilin, the Chinese Unicorn?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_unicorn

use the white unicorn fist too often, and you will have serious Chi loss
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

lol, I should have been more specific.....
    http://chi-lin.net/ is more along the lines of what I was refering to.

Thanks

OH MY F-IN LORD!

I just followed your link!

He's still out there!

RUN, RUN NOW, RUN FAR AWAY
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

ok, maybe I am retarded.....probably am....but why such strong fealings? I have been taking Chi Lin for sometime, I am not experienced in any other for of Kung Fu, is it that bad?

thanks.....I think

ttt 4 2012

Lair of King Tongmyong's Unicorn Reconfirmed in DPRK
    Pyongyang, November 29 (KCNA) -- Archaeologists of the History Institute of the DPRK Academy of Social Sciences have recently reconfirmed a lair of the unicorn rode by King Tongmyong, founder of the Koguryo Kingdom (B.C. 277-A.D. 668).

The lair is located 200 meters from the Yongmyong Temple in Moran Hill in Pyongyang City. A rectangular rock carved with words "Unicorn Lair" stands in front of the lair. The carved words are believed to date back to the period of Koryo Kingdom (918-1392).

Jo Hui Sung, director of the Institute, told KCNA:

"Korea's history books deal with the unicorn, considered to be ridden by King Tongmyong, and its lair.

The Sogyong (Pyongyang) chapter of the old book 'Koryo History' (geographical book), said: Ulmil Pavilion is on the top of Mt. Kumsu, with Yongmyong Temple, one of Pyongyang's eight scenic spots, beneath it. The temple served as a relief palace for King Tongmyong, in which there is the lair of his unicorn.

The old book 'Sinjungdonggukyojisungnam' (Revised Handbook of Korean Geography) complied in the 16th century wrote that there is a lair west of Pubyok Pavilion in Mt. Kumsu.

The discovery of the unicorn lair, associated with legend about King Tongmyong, proves that Pyongyang was a capital city of Ancient Korea as well as Koguryo Kingdom."
    Coincidentally, I'm running an article on Chinese unicorns in our next issue (not the Jan+Feb 2013, the Mar+Apr 2013). I am totally serious about this.

North Korea Has Found a Secret Unicorn Lair, Apparently
    Alexander Abad-Santos 148,805 Views 8:44 AM ET

"Archaeologists of the History Institute of the DPRK Academy of Social Sciences have recently reconfirmed a lair of the unicorn rode by King Tongmyong, founder of the Koguryo Kingdom," reports the — wait. Stop. UNICORNS? That's an actual snippet from a report from the Korean Central News Agency, the state news agency of North Korea and fine, okay, we totally understand that this might be a retaliatory joke in response to China getting fooled by The Onion naming Kim Jong-un the Sexiest Man Alive or something.

But experts don't lie, do they?

Jo Hui Sung, director of the Institute, told KCNA:

"Korea's history books deal with the unicorn, considered to be ridden by King Tongmyong, and its lair.

And these are the history books Hoi Sung is talking about :

The Sogyong (Pyongyang) chapter of the old book 'Koryo History' (geographical book), said: Ulmil Pavilion is on the top of Mt. Kumsu, with Yongmyong Temple, one of Pyongyang's eight scenic spots, beneath it. The temple served as a relief palace for King Tongmyong, in which there is the lair of his unicorn.

And there's more. It's not like this is a National Enquirer/Bat Boy type of fleeting story. This one has significance It looks like North Korea is using the unicorn lair to prove a bigger point:

The discovery of the unicorn lair, associated with legend about King Tongmyong, proves that Pyongyang was a capital city of Ancient Korea as well as Koguryo Kingdom.

Taking into account that this is the same country with news agencies telling their people that mountains cry and birds lament when Kim Jong-il died and did so because he was sent down from the cosmos to destroy the Japanese to sink holes in one and that's totally normal, this isn't too far-fetched of a — you know what? I give up.

Note: As a commenter has pointed out, western ideas of a unicorn and Korean ideas of a unicorn are a bit different and a unicorn is called a Qilin in Korea. It's still a mythical creature. You can see the Qilin here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It is incredible how many diverse groups of ancient people came up with dragons and unicorns. I mean, could all these societies have had communication thousands of years ago?

Not just Asian cultures either, you'll find dragons and unicorns in books and artwork through the Himalayas, the Middle East, Europe, the Bible, ect... ect...
    Do we all have the same imagination, or was it more...just saying...

It is incredible how many diverse groups of ancient people came up with dragons and unicorns. I mean, could all these societies have had communication thousands of years ago?

Not just Asian cultures either, you'll find dragons and unicorns in books and artwork through the Himalayas, the Middle East, Europe, the Bible, ect... ect...
    Do we all have the same imagination, or was it more...just saying...
    First off, what we name things may not be what things were.
    Second, just because we don't have those things NOW< doesn't mean they never were.
    3rd, things aren't always what they seem...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

How come everyone on the history channel nowadays seems like one of those characters??

Interesting cultural clash

Unicorn is definitely a mistranslation of Chilin (or Qilin 麒麟) which is a common mythological creature in Asian legend. I imagine Asians would have as much difficulty translating Chimeara.

As for this author, hasn't he ever been to a Japanese restaurant?

North Korea 'Secret Unicorn Lair' May Have Belonged To Beast With Dragon Head, Deer Body, Cow Tail (PHOTO)
    Posted: 12/08/2012 11:59 am EST | Updated: 12/08/2012 12:06 pm EST

Was it a unicorn or something even more bizarre?

In a bizarre twist to the earlier claim that archeologists had found a secret unicorn lair in North Korea, new reports claim that the liar may not have been the stomping grounds of the legendary animal after all. Instead, the fabled resting place, located in Pyongyang, may have belonged to this mythical mishmash of a beast:

mythical north korean creature unicorn
    (Courtesy: Gawker Media)

Citing a report on the International Business Times, Gizmodo's Jesus Diaz, who put the composite image of the strange animal together, writes:

[T]he magic unicorn was based on a "mistranslation" of the original study. The reality is that the unicorn lair was actually the nest of a "beast with a dragon's head, a deer's body, the tail of a cow, hooves and a mane."

I put together the illustration above so you can clearly picture this amazing beast. It's definitely not a unicorn.

The "magical" animal hideaway made headlines last month when a North Korean state news agency reported the bizarre news that archaeologists had found "the lair of a unicorn once ridden by an ancient Korean king."

According to an earlier Huffington Post report, Korean Central News Agency claimed that the "lair of the mythical creature is located 200 meters (about 219 yards) from the Yongmyong Temple in Pyongyang. A rock that sits in front of the lair contains carvings that some believe date back to the period of the Koryo Kingdom (918-1392)."

However, experts have since asserted that a mistranslation of the original Korean had likely led to the misuse of the word "unicorn" to describe the lair's former occupant.

Sixiang Wang, a Korean scholar, explained to i09 that "Kiringul," the name archeologists used to describe the lair, has nothing to do with unicorns.

James Grayson, emeritus professor of Korean studies at Sheffield University, told the Guardian that the confusion had centered on the translation of the word kirin or qilin, which he describes as "a four-legged beast with a dragon's head." Sukyeon Cho, a colleague of Grayson's, added that kirins have "the body of a deer, the tail of a cow, hooves and a mane, as well as a horn jutting out from the top of their heads."

Hmm.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart