Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jow Ga of Master Kong On BSCLF lineage

Jow Ga of Master Kong On BSCLF lineage

In another thread hsk posted this:

here's buk sing clf's Carey Wong doing a jow ga set......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp8gNLQxY9Q
    To which I replied:

I should point out, however that the form in this video is not the Chow Gar (Jow Ga) Fu Pau Kuen form. It looks very “Jow Ga” flavoured in the techniques shown, but it is not the Chow Gar, Fu Pau Kuen as practiced in Chow Gar. Unfortunately I can’t get my hands on one to show as comparison though.

I realise of course that Master Kong On was originally a student of Chow Lung (founder of Chow Gar), and that some of his Chow Gar came into his BS CLF lineage. This leads me to ask, as I have always been curious to know, if the Chow Gar in this particular lineage of BS CLF is (a) taught as a separate art, or (b) fused in with the CLF as a blended art? It is very rare to see any of it on the net, so I have always been curious? The comments at the bottom of that video clip suggest that the Chow Gar (Jow Ga) forms taught are the more blended sort, with names such as “Jow Ga Kuen #1” “Jow Ga Kuen # 2” etc.
    There were some rumblings from within that thread that people were not sticking on topic, and although I thought that this was (at least slightly) on topic, out of respect to the thread creator, I have started a new thread to ask the above question [highlighted in bold]

Perhaps someone from that lineage knows the answer and can shed some light for me.

Cheers

all I know is they have a seperate jow gar form. And if you do drills you can just as well do some jow gar drill while you're at it
    I dont know if they do it that way, I just assume it (so dont shoot me if I'm wrong) And I wouldn't know if they would do it regularly or almost never.
    What the hell, what am I guessing, just ask Nick (CLFBSG) personally.

Fu Pau, Do you practice jow ga in Perth?

Perhaps you could PM me.

Nick
    BSG

Aren't there like 4-5 Fu Pow forms in jow gar? My lineage of CLF from Lee Koon Hung also has a Fu Pow kuen but it is nothing like the version in the video clip.

buck sing clf looks much more northern to me. jow ga has a very specific southern look, tho i dont doubt that it goes well with clf.

when it comes to practicing strike drills, how would one actually say which is which. Whether you doing jow ga cup chow or clf cup choy, or jow ga gwa choy or clf gwa choy

a good friend of mine teach jow gar down here. we have very close ties between the two schools, and I respect the jow gar guys like our own family.

(tho I still struggle with how they hold their staff or spear so close to their bodies)
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

i only know alittle bit about this relationship between Kong On and Jow Lung. i've been fortunate to see Chan Chow Wang Asso. Hk (Choy lee fut) perform two versions of Fu Pow Kuen during a celebration for Jow Lung in HK.

"I realise of course that Master Kong On was originally a student of Chow Lung (founder of Chow Gar), and that some of his Chow Gar came into his BS CLF lineage"
    This is what i have been told.

"Aren't there like 4-5 Fu Pow forms in jow gar?"
    From my little experience, i don't think so. There may be various versions of the original from lineage to lineage or school to school.

I have seen the Chan Chow Wang Asso. HK perform during the a jow lung banquet Yi Lo Fu Pow Kuen and Lo Fu Pow Kuen (2nd Road Tiger & leopard fist etc.) It is my opinion that Master Wong in the video is performing one of these to the best of my memory.

Looking at the form performed in the video, it appears to me that the form has elements of Fu Pow Kuen, but what i find interesting is that there are certain sequences unique to other jow ga forms in the form performed by Master Wong. Although there are many sequences repeated in various jow ga forms, ones performed in this video appear to be unique sequences exclusive to other forms. my opinion is based on my lineage of jow ga and many others that i've seen.

If my memory serves me correctly, i think the Fu Pow kuen(s) performed by this particular Choy li fut branch are not peformed the exact way Jow Lung taught Kong On, but were created by Kong On as a tribute to Jow Lung.

In my opinion, looking at the form and certain details, it definitely represents jow ga and master Wong's peformance is excellent!

Best regards
    Tai Lik
    5th Five Tigers Kung Fu Championship 2008
    http://www.fivetigerschampionship.com/
    http://www.jowtigers.com

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Has anyone seen 18 elbows from wah lum? It bears striking resemblance to this set. Is there a connection? I know that some wah lum sets are Hung-Ga-ized and even use the single finger kiu-sao. Chan Pui was very good friends with other Sifus in the formative years of his curriculum. Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Aren't there like 4-5 Fu Pow forms in jow gar?
    Not that i am aware of. Though, as with most other forms in Chow Gar, I have seen many variations of the same base form from school to school.

... Oh... Tai-Lik already said that... sorry.
    Last edited by Fu-Pau; 06-20-2007 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    (tho I still struggle with how they hold their staff or spear so close to their bodies)
    Ahhh, but that is the essential ingredient boet!

I remember reading that there was a Fu Pow #1, #2, #3, #4, etc... maybe they were referring to different roads of the set?

To be honest, I have never come across Chow Gar schools that numbered their forms in that way. [Not to imply of course that I can in anyway say that I know of all Chow Gar schools around the world].

However, that is certainly not a tradition in the Chow Biu lineage of Chow Gar.

Do you recall where you saw/heard that?

I'll have to check. The way I wrote it was english so I assume it was just a translation from cantonese.

No worries.

Though even in Cantonese we tend to call our forms by name rather than number. Ie Siew Fok Fu (Taming the Small Tiger) and Dai Fok Fu (Taming the Big Tiger).

Blog Entries
    i was honored to get this chance at meeting elder Kong Hing......

this photo was taken in 2001 in Fut San
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pau View Post
    Ahhh, but that is the essential ingredient boet!
    Ha! you must have South African friends or be an ex Saffer yourself. Actually, my dad was in Ausy in the late 60's, and knowing him, Im sure I must have a long lost BROTHER or sister - hence the irony of that statement
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )