Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jow Ga of Master Kong On BSCLF lineage

I think we have the fighting thing covered as well.

Good stuff. We all have to represent to keep it strong.

nospam

Quote Originally Posted by nospam View Post
    I do not require further insight. It would be more of a confirmation of the whys and the hows, I'd say. I would rather spend my time training within BSCLF.
    Hows this different from you have nothing to gain from listening to the other families? BSCLF in general are better in fighting, because you fought more, you don't care as much as about forms and you simplified. As far as I know you don't have as much weapons in your arsenl.

I never meant to imply that anyone would learn anything earth-shattering from another branch member. What I personally think is that we would learn that we are not as different as we all might think. We all do things our own way no question about it and I wouldn't expect any to try to change anybody else but through exchange of ideas and methods some might look at things they do in a different light others might be inspired to take something in another direction.

A real problem in modern times is many people teach kung fu as a job and they have to look out for themselves in that respect. In the old days they all got together and exchanged ideas and concepts. Tam Sam was involved with the group that gathered and worked with the wooden dummies. I believe this group also included the likes of Chan Koon Pak, Ngan Yiu Ting amongst others. They were there to improve and this is something that gets overlooked today.

We all might think we do this or that well but there is always room for improvement in all areas. Just becuase someone is from say the Chan Family line doesn't mean they are a great forms player and just becuase one is from the Buk Sing line doesn't mean he will be a great fighter. It all comes down to how each person trains and what they want from their training.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
    BSCLF in general are better in fighting, because you fought more, you don't care as much as about forms and you simplified. As far as I know you don't have as much weapons in your arsenl.
    My Sifu has a saying, you can have a lot of weapons but what good are they if none are sharp. When I use my Chop Choi I know its going in. Either it goes straight in, I cut an angle in or I figure out how to go around what ever is in the way and put it there. But regardless if you've trained one thing to perfection then fighting can become more direct. Also there is much more room to explore nuance. There are hundreds or different combinations and methods and application to that one movement. "Everything comes off the jab" as the old saying goes.

That said I have mad respect for all the CLF out there. I'm a firm believer in, "CLF Yat Gar". But I don't think there is anything wrong with emphasising diverstiy as well.
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Satori:

Diversity is a great thing but I don't think we are as quite diverse as some might think. I think there is a common misconception that becuase one branch might have more forms than another that they don't focus enough on techniques. This is untrue. My lineage as a good number of forms around 15-20 hand sets but you know what outside of some different techniques somewhat unique to a particular set they have repetition and the same techniques over and over and over. So the result you do focus on things a lot maybe not as repetitive as doing only 3 hand forms but trust me they are very repetitive. The thing I like personally about a variety is that I can change up my training when I get in a funk and still work on basically the same techniques.

Peace.

In my opinion one of the best reasons to get together with people of different styles (in your case different branches/lineages) is not so much to “learn other peoples’ stuff”, but to learn better how “your own stuff” works against diverse people, styles and ways of reacting.

In my experience, our own egos can prevent us from learning more about ourselves as much as about each other.

Peeps throw out 'ego' way too much. For some it has little to do with ego and a lot to do with confidence in what one does and of one's family achievements. And good for you if you want to gather and chat, but that isn't for everyone, and in my estimation too many peeps out there do too much talking when their time is better served on getting real.

You look at what is called 'sparring' and it's crap. It's crap on so many levels. You can say gung fu is more than just fighting, but it's essence is built upon fighting; otherwise you become more art than martial and maybe the dance of wushu would be better served by having these practitioners.

90% of the gung fu Joe's out there dance about touch sparring or smashing heads with little to no style thinking they're the real deal. Go do your lineage a favour and learn another weapon.

I have utmost respect for those that step up and use their basics and employ their style from the young beginner to the old man. These are true gung fu pracitioners, and you immediately see the difference in the way they fight- may not be pretty but given time it will click, and in their growth lies the continued growth and prosperity of their respective styles.

nospam

I agree with clfnole.
    as most know, I spend the last 4 months training fighting from sifu chow keung (TSPK). Truth is, its not much different to what we've done before. slightly different approach to certain strikes, but generally its the same. If I didnt know he was from another style and he didnt teach forms, I could even have believed someone if they told me he was a CLF sifu.

But of course, we (LKH guys) are the BEST CLF fighters out there , and our CLF skill is superior to any other branches .

(luckally im on the bud end of the world and no one would even bother to fly down here to 'correct' me )
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Blog Entries
    anyways,

i copied this off of Sifu vince lacey's website in regards to how and why Jow Ga got into their lineage......

"Our Connection to Chow Gar

Our Academy's connection to the Chow Gar style is only through Grandmaster Vince Lacey's Si-Gung, Kong On, and his son, Kong Hing, who was Grandmaster Lacey's Sifu. Kong On first studied Chow Gar, then Choy Lay Fut, and finally Buk Siu Lam, Northern Shaolin style kung fu.

Grandmaster Lacey studied Choy Lay Fut kung fu under Kong Hing, and absorbed the Chow Gar style from him. This is the reason we have Chow Gar incorporated into our Academy. It should be noted that all other Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut schools do not include the Chow Gar style in their curriculum."
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Lightbulb

Growth occurs in many stages. The budding flower reaches to the sky to soak up the Sun. The bud aggressively moves forward but then it flowers, spreading itself open and grows in a new way, no longer reaching for the sky but to its surroundings.

People are the same. Youth, full of energy and willingness to move on as fast as they may. The teacher is the gardener who nips the bud along the way and tends to it's many stages of growth.

Maybe some of us on here need to stop, sit, and watch the flowers. Understanding can be a mere observation away.

I for one can appreciate the many and varied flowers we all represent. One Family: One True Way.
    閻魔羅社

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Science View Post
    My Sifu has a saying, you can have a lot of weapons but what good are they if none are sharp.
    definitely, you need to master what you know. for fighting you don't need much forms but If you are into continuous learning in other aspects, you are going to run out of material to learn. Buk sing on has three forms and few weapons. As far as I know masters of buk Sing has gone on to learn other arts and weapons from other lineages.

Just making a point on the separatist tendencies or why you do what you do or why we do what we do, etc. No "ego" intended whatsoever. There's so many CLF people or people who claim to be CLF and everyone thinks they are better, maybe thats the reason why we can't just ever agree...human nature.

Question Jow Ga of Master Kong On BSCLF lineage

Doesn't this form look similar to Shane Lacey's in another video?

Thumbs up The Laceys do know their stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    anyways,

i copied this off of Sifu vince lacey's website in regards to how and why Jow Ga got into their lineage......

"Our Connection to Chow Gar

Our Academy's connection to the Chow Gar style is only through Grandmaster Vince Lacey's Si-Gung, Kong On, and his son, Kong Hing, who was Grandmaster Lacey's Sifu. Kong On first studied Chow Gar, then Choy Lay Fut, and finally Buk Siu Lam, Northern Shaolin style kung fu.

Grandmaster Lacey studied Choy Lay Fut kung fu under Kong Hing, and absorbed the Chow Gar style from him. This is the reason we have Chow Gar incorporated into our Academy. It should be noted that all other Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut schools do not include the Chow Gar style in their curriculum."
    I do think Shane Lacey is a bit of an ego maniac, however, they have the respect of legitimate masters. The Laceys are at least honest enough to state all their influences and intelligent enough to incorporate them!

Quote Originally Posted by Buk&Hung Sing View Post
    Doesn't this form look similar to Shane Lacey's in another video?
    Which two videos are you referring to?