Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share your rehabilitative martial arts experiences with Clawmarks!

Share your rehabilitative martial arts experiences with Clawmarks!

Hello, martial artists! My name is L. Ashley Susong, and I am the Assistant Editor for ClawMarks. ClawMarks is a nationally distributed quarterly newsletter from Tiger Claw. We have a readership of over 20,000 martial arts schools and stores, and we need your help for our Fall 2007 issue.

For this issue, we are concentrating on the healing powers of martial arts training. We are looking to you, our community members, to share firsthand how martial arts training helped you recover from or cope with a serious injury, terminal illness or other physical or mental disabilities or obstacles.

If you could, please either post a reply here or send a short (250 word maximum) essay to tigerclawmarks@gmail.com before 7 p.m. EST before next Wednesday, 27 June 2007. We ask that you include your full name, mailing address and contact information. If you have high resolution pictures, it would also help us tremendously! All authors of accepted submissions will receive complimentary copies to ClawMarks to share with his or her friends and family!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me at the above address. I look forward to reading about your journeys.

Namaste,
    Ashley.

OMG!!! Someone is actually ASKING me how I healed my back!!!!

Give me some time, I will put together a timeline, and training methods used.

She, said short essey not feature length article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post

Ummm.... I think he said "in 250 words" (or less)........

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    She, said short essey not feature length article.
    What's an "Ashley"?
    'Zat different than an "Ashleigh"?

(yeah, FWIW, it is different)
    Last edited by bakxierboxer; 06-20-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post

ROFL, it's a good thing she didn't ask how you hurt it in the first place...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Ashley is female...

...but she's not from Russia so don't get any ideas, RD.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Small Bell Qigong allowed me to overcome chronic sinus problems. That's really all there is to the story. :P

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Small Bell Qigong allowed me to overcome chronic sinus problems. That's really all there is to the story. :P
    is there a decent vid to SBQ?

...RD would have to come up with 250 correctly spelled words for starters...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    is there a decent vid to SBQ?

Not that I've ever heard of.

...RD would have to come up with 250 correctly spelled words for starters...

Reply]
    Over my Dead Body!!!!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    NJM, thanks...guess I'll keep on doing yi jin jing...

RD, when are you going to learn how to just use the 'quote' button at the bottom of the screen??????
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

RD, when are you going to learn how to just use the 'quote' button at the bottom of the screen??????[/QUOTE]

or just the
    prefix and
    suffix!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerclawmarks View Post
    Hello, martial artists! My name is L. Ashley Susong, and I am the Assistant Editor for ClawMarks. ClawMarks is a nationally distributed quarterly newsletter from Tiger Claw. We have a readership of over 20,000 martial arts schools and stores, and we need your help for our Fall 2007 issue.

For this issue, we are concentrating on the healing powers of martial arts training. We are looking to you, our community members, to share firsthand how martial arts training helped you recover from or cope with a serious injury, terminal illness or other physical or mental disabilities or obstacles.

If you could, please either post a reply here or send a short (250 word maximum) essay to tigerclawmarks@gmail.com before 7 p.m. EST before next Wednesday, 27 June 2007. We ask that you include your full name, mailing address and contact information. If you have high resolution pictures, it would also help us tremendously! All authors of accepted submissions will receive complimentary copies to ClawMarks to share with his or her friends and family!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me at the above address. I look forward to reading about your journeys.

Namaste,
    Ashley.
    Hello Ashley,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, so let me know if it is and I'll send more information.

In 2001 I tore my ACL playing soccer. Prior to the injury I had been practicing Northern Shaolin Kung Fu for a little over a year, which I clearly had to stop at that point. I had ACL reconstructive surgery, and my doctor said that a full recovery would take between 6 to 12 months.

After three months of physical therapy prescribed by my doctor, I asked him if he thought it would be safe to start practicing Tai Chi. He said that it would be fine, so I enrolled in a Tai Chi class at the Kung Fu school where I had been practicing before. I practiced for about six months. I can't say that it miraculously accelerated my recovery beyond the doctors' expectations, but I can say that it helped to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint, and helped to keep my flexibility up. It was also sufficiently low-impact to be safe.

One year after my surgery I felt like I was ready to return to the Northern Shaolin class, so I gave it a try and it was fine. My knee will probably never be quite 100%, but it is much better. I practiced Northern Shaolin for another three years, as well as returning to Tai Chi for a few months, with no major health problems. I have since started practicing Muay Thai at a different school and am loving it.

I don't know if pictures will be of any use to you. All I have are the gory photos of the inside of my knee joint during the surgery, and I could probably take a picture of the knee today; there is only a faint scar visible.
    Last edited by boshea; 06-21-2007 at 12:08 AM.