Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The CMA Ground Challenge!

The CMA Ground Challenge!

I pose a challenge to all the CMAists out there on this board.

In light of our current CMA ground fighting thread in the Shaolin section, there is a large dispute it seems as to whether CMA has groundfighting.

I am an advocate of the mindset CMA Does have groundfighting, yet that the wholesale teaching, training and development to the point of competition worthy proficiency is NOT in place.

The venue for competative demonstration being MMA of course as its the prevelant venue for showing the world your stand up and ground all in one fight.

SO THE CHALLENGE:

capture on video, you, your school, your class mates, your teachers, ANYONE who is STRICT CMA, practicing heavy on the ground, showing us the skills.

I want to see it.

so you may say "but uncle pang, we dont have the footage"

well guys, go get it, find a friend with a cam, go buy one, rent one borrow one.

just get the footage and post it here to shut me up.

A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Okay, so I know you guys are all out there getting the footage.

I want to make it a little easier.

Just grab some footage at a competition where you, your fighters, or your trainer are using their CMA to win or do well against known, experienced grapplers.

Now, okay, so you still may not have the camera. Chances are someone at the competition/fight will. Perhaps from the opposing faction to show thier superiority over CMA groundfighting.

Get the contact info and ask them for a copy.

I know in the MMA forum Charles 'the fearless monk' Wilson went ahead and started the trend. I think he did real well. From his own words, its pretty much his stand up worked to the ground. But, Ill bet he practiced as well. In other words, constant training, that includes ground work practice, rather than theoretical possibilities.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=46280

Now I know some of you gungfu guys are doing this as well. Ill be the first to state, and admit, that in my CMA training I have not had the opportunity to work the ground much at all.

I actually plan to take care of this within the next year or two, but ill probably be going to BJJ/JJJ/Judo to get the road started, as they can start teaching me a nice technical ground game right away, and get me comfortable in a realatively short ammount of time to be able to start learning the game.

Of course thats just me, I wont have my car painted by a police man, and I wouldnt have a mechanic work on my teeth....Ill go to the people that train and focus on the aspect I want.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

I'll give 100 dollars to the first Strictly CMAist to submit a BJJ black belt in organized competition.

Anyone else want to add to the pot? A CMA grappler just might be able to submit his way to fame and fortune.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

I'll add $100 to that one.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'll add kudos.

so we are up to 200 bucks and a kudo's

not bad to start. I might add, im not dissing CMA, its all I know....well i guess i know other stuff, but in regards to MA, its all i know
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

double kudos, and if they're in Pittsburgh dinner from a fast food value menu.

(one time offer must be redeemed within 60 days of said submission not available to residents of alaska or new jersey or where law prohibits, black belt must have credentials, void where prohibited)
    Bless you

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Dim-Sum at Dragon Palace is on me!

Why would a CMA person submit a BB grappler at his own game? That doesnt make much sense to me. If you want to work submission work, then practice a style that specializes in it. I have used my CMA to counter grappling, and submission work, but what you are talking about amounts to kind of the same thing as looking for a wrestler to KO a good boxer in a boxing only match. Not saying it cant be done, but isnt really specific to what even most good CMA people are going to be training for.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    Why would a CMA person submit a BB grappler at his own game? That doesnt make much sense to me. If you want to work submission work, then practice a style that specializes in it. I have used my CMA to counter grappling, and submission work, but what you are talking about amounts to kind of the same thing as looking for a wrestler to KO a good boxer in a boxing only match. Not saying it cant be done, but isnt really specific to what even most good CMA people are going to be training for.
    Ya, I get what your saying fully.

This whole thread is more in line with the gaboodles and gaboodles of pages in the CMA groundfighting thread thats i think on page 19 right now.

Im not saying any CMA people should go round trying to submit a BB Grappler, just that if they did, I'll pay em. And from the looks of it, so will others.

just a fun lil proposition in that can double as proof of a highly skilled grappler born soley out of CMA training.

of which is in dispute
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

i should say that ground fighting within CMA is in dispute...

Some say its there, some say its not, some say its there but not really taught.

like my rhyme?

I say, if it IS there and it IS taught, where are the experts that can claim a highly refined CMA ground game?
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

I think CMA's ground game is two fold.

1. Ground and pound, which includes stomping, and kicking a grounded oponent while standing, and if you do go down, pound away while keeping on one knee so you can get up really fast and menuver to defend against his freinds rather than get tied up in a submission like snuggle fest like modern MMA.

2. Hit them in the head as hard as you can...WITH the ground.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 06-21-2007 at 05:06 PM.

Oh, and a third option is like the Fukien Dog boxing where the cma is on the ground, and defending against a standing stomp or standing kicker who likes to kick you when you are down.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    there is no ground grappling in cma.

there is ground fighting and stand up clinching.

end of debate.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I think CMA's ground game is two fold.

1. Ground and pound, which includes stomping, and kicking a grounded oponent while standing, and if you do go down, pound away while keeping on one knee so you can get up really fast and menuver to defend against his freinds rather than get tied up in a submission like snuggle fest like modern MMA.

2. Hit them in the head as hard as you can...WITH the ground.
    Excellent!
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan