Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The CMA Ground Challenge!

I can’t believe I’m posting on this lame ass site. Yet this topic is so sophmoric I can’t resist!

Does CMA have a ground game? No. That doesn’t mean you can’t develop a ground game that specifically enhances the skill sets of the art you are studying.

After years of CMA (and studying with a host of other Non- Chinese artist)
    I have decent ground game and it doesn’t resemble jujitsu. I recently once again (i.e. worked out/with) at two prominent Judo schools in my area and yes I can give names..if anyone wants to call. One school is even heavily into Jujitsu. I could hang, I taped a brown first, once the Dan’s saw that, we rolled and I submitted a few of them (not all..but I could hang!)

Enough of blowing my own horn!

If you approach fighting from the premise that you have to have prowess against anyone no matter the style, size or situation, then having a ground game shouldn’t be a question.

Again!!!!!! that doesn’t mean you have to build a jujitsu repertoire, you can use other tools and be just as effective (look at Tito Ortiz’s ground and pound style…I kind of mimic that not by design but just by doing. if that makes sense…It certainly isn’t Jujitsu.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I guess you missed the fact that I am no longer affiliated and have studied under other CMA masters.

No, I didn't. I was just being an ass.

You can think what you like .

thanks.

You are full of yourself have too much pride and ego in the way to see that you just might not know all that you should know about CMA and that you just might be wrong.
    lol, you're taking my stance in this thread as my entire personality. that's ok. you don't know me.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oh yes you do. you care . I can see how it is with you and the guys that hug your nuts around here. You care when they hang on your every word ,so it stand to reason that you care when they do not. You do not have enough humility ,self confidence , self esteem, or anything else that you need not to. If you did not care you would not have responded to it.
    raoflmao. you're too much. thanks for the laugh.

I hope all my nut huggers feel especially good right now...do me a favor would ya? the left one is a might itchy.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Becca...between Oso and 3 harmonies there is about 40 years of TCMA experience. Oso even in your own style. You've been in PL what? 5 years? Your statement of time training to get to the good stuff is completely off. Heck my Sigung has some 35 years in CMA (mantis/pai lum), 13 under D.K.Pai himself. And he still got his ground game from JMA. My sifu 20 years in CMA and his ground from Gracie JJ. In my own 8 years mantis/pai lum hybrid, I still had to get my ground from JJ. Can ya guess what that tells me?

Tattoo, its great that you are enthusiastic for your art. But the people you are calling out have historically been some of the more outspoken in favor of CMA on the forums. Dude part of knowing the strength in your art is understanding and accepting its weaknesses. Hell I lived in Japan and trained with some kick ass old Japanese dudes and I STILL think kung fu is the ****! BUT sometimes you just got to call it like it is. You owe it to yourself as an artist AND to your art to make it stronger. Evolve man

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Becca...between Oso and 3 harmonies there is about 40 years of TCMA experience. Oso even in your own style. You've been in PL what? 5 years?

actually, it will be 4 in september.

Your statement of time training to get to the good stuff is completely off.

me? or Becca?

Heck my Sigung has some 35 years in CMA (mantis/pai lum), 13 under D.K.Pai himself. And he still got his ground game from JMA. My sifu 20 years in CMA and his ground from Gracie JJ. In my own 8 years mantis/pai lum hybrid, I still had to get my ground from JJ. Can ya guess what that tells me?
    t'aint no ground in CMA.

slightly off topic:

'good stuff' is a myth. either it's 'good' from the beginning or it isn't.

that's another problem with a lot (not all) cma styles, the perpetuation that you have to put a lot of time in to get the good stuff.

my first teacher; the 'stuff' he taught allowed me to put a brown belt from the local tkd teacher on his ass in the first clash after just 2 months of training.

one of the things I liked about Pong Lai is that it challenged me from day 1.

still does.

Oso I was refering to Becca's 5 years. Thats what the pro says. And you do pong lai? I coulda swore somewhere I thought you listed Pai Lum but gaaahhh....too many PL's!

Speaking of which what is SD? Southern Dragon?
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Speaking of which what is SD? Southern Dragon?
    Jake
    I'm thinking they mean Shaolin Do
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Tattoo, its great that you are enthusiastic for your art. But the people you are calling out have historically been some of the more outspoken in favor of CMA on the forums. Dude part of knowing the strength in your art is understanding and accepting its weaknesses. Hell I lived in Japan and trained with some kick ass old Japanese dudes and I STILL think kung fu is the ****! BUT sometimes you just got to call it like it is. You owe it to yourself as an artist AND to your art to make it stronger. Evolve man
    Thanks. I do not care who they have learned from or who they are on this board. They did not learn from someone that knew the fullest extent of their art .

Sorry.

The weakness in the art is that it is not taught properly and to the fullest extent of it's potential ,not because it is missing groundfighting , because it is not.

They may have been taught the pieces of the puzzle but they just have no clue as to how to put it ALL together.

It is the artist that makes the art complete. which I have.

sounds a lot like the wing chun mantra/excuse

Thanks. I do not care who they have learned from or who they are on this board. They did not learn from someone that knew the fullest extent of their art .

Sorry.

The weakness in the art is that it is not taught properly and to the fullest extent of it's potential ,not because it is missing groundfighting , because it is not.

They may have been taught the pieces of the puzzle but they just have no clue as to how to put it ALL together.

BWaaahahahahahaaaaaaAHAHAHAHAahahaaaaa!

Do you have your own theme music?

You as well as most the people on here take everything out of context . I did not say that MMA was not effective it is in a sport setting. I know some people that can use it in a real fight, however ,it is not a very realistic medium in which to prove it can be used in real combat .martial arts are about the intended effect. Not what MMA makes it out to be.
    MMA is not about seeing what works it is about everything but that . We all should know what does and does not work.

you are argueing something that I never claimed.

In battle it is more than likely that a weapon would be used. H2H combat would be used if you lost that weapon or did not have one . Your last resort would be to go to the ground and wrestle with them.

Most people that get into fights on the street are not trained at all in any martial arts. Real martial artist do not put themselves in these situations the best defense is avoiding the situation, especailly seeing as they can be sued , prosecuted, and will do more jail time because of their skill. even if someone challenges and you beat them they can sue you and or you will go to jail....with great power comes great responsibility

Of course if it can be proven.

As for 99.9 percent of fight going to the ground, it is because of the lack of fighting skills .About 98.9 do not even know what to do when they get there. They do it to neutralize the situation and if they do it is mostly ground and pound and not grappling.
    this is a post full of excuses. regardless of whether or not mma is exactly the same as a real fight, it's the closest thing out there. you state that one should already know which techniques work, but if you aren't testing them then how do you know? by relying on the word of others? ninja please.

going to the ground was a last resort on a battlefield full of guys with swords, sure. in modern times there are several advantages as well as some disadvantages.

I am not sure what you are getting at with the streetfight thing. who cares if most people involved in altercations are non-trained? you should be training for the worst case scenarios, not the reverse.
    the 80% thing was a police stat... and cops deliberately try to take several altercations to the ground.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Sorry.

Tattoo, whom my I ask is your teacher? And how long have you trained in MA? Just curious...

That is quite a bold statement and very out of bounds. At least in Oso's case, I dont know him however I do know of the group he at least recently has been with. I know of his Sigung and can assume who his sifu. And I assure they are quite high caliber. As example the KF world is quite small. Do mind your bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    How much more spacific do you want? A minute for minute time line? As I said, I was rather spacific, but taking things out of context makes it look otherwise.
    WTF?! Are you retarded today?

WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO LOCK JOINTS AND ARMBAR??????

YOU SAID:
    But I know he know it, 'cause he's taught me...
    BUT FIRST YOU SAID
    Then my first Sifu noticed I already knew how to lock joint and bar arms and such.
    SO Who The F@ck TAUGHT YOU IF NOT YOUR FIRST SIFU?????
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 06-22-2007 at 07:09 PM.