Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: The CMA Ground Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    2-1 as in tap outs?

yes. a kung fu guy made a grappler tap out!! using those techniques i learned standing up just putting onto ground. could only use like 2 or 3 so far. but it was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

You guys are doing my job for me
    Sure you did jerky!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    some of the top grappler's from new england were there. one of the guys from the ultimate fighter season 5 was there. i rolled with one of the BJJ guys.
    yes. a kung fu guy made a grappler tap out!! using those techniques i learned standing up just putting onto ground. could only use like 2 or 3 so far. but it was fun.
    You went 2-1 in tap outs against one of the top BJJ practioners in New England?

Sorry, that seems a little far fetched.

Of course, if it is true, you should be able to enter the advanced division of the next sub grappling tourney and easily place. Of course, we know that won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Cool your jets turbo. I am looking through the most recent fights I have watched. Quit crying. Be patient , B!tch.
    hah hah, tough talk from behind a keyboard huh? My guess, you are crying, sand in your swim trunks? Upset that you got called on nonsense? Keep looking for stuff that doesn't exist because no BJJ black belt would cross his ankles like that. No one but a white belt would make that mistake, it's darn basic

Just for amusement, since you state you understand the ankle lock, explain it for us all........
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Don't know if anyone posted this yet:

Chin Na Fa
    Traditional Chinese submission Grappling

By Liu jinsheng and Zhao Jiang
    Translated and Prefaced by: Tim Cartmell

Here is a book that shows Chin Na techniques and principles from the 1930's.

In this book you will find:

Pinching with the arm from the front - Guillotine Choke
    Pinching the arm from the rear - RNC
    Crossing the Neck - side choke on the ground
    Supporting the elbow and breaking the wrist - ground grappling ( holding one arm with legs and "keylocking" the other)
    Blocking the elbow - Armbar
    Mounting the horse - ground work armbar
    Pinching the elbow - ground work armlock with legs of side control
    Breaking the foot - ankle lock

It seems that TCMA does indeed have ground work.
    Though not specialized like BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Why did I have to state whether I was aware of the ankle option or not ?? Do not take what I said out of context . The question I asked was how is it a rookie manuever if I have seen BJJ / GJJ BB do it ?? And went on to further say, not that it is or is not .
    You haven't seen them do it. You are mistaken. It's understandable, because you don't know your arse from your elbow in a grappling situation, so it's time to eat humble pie, admit it and everyone might just stop laughing at you.

You stated that you hadn't stated that you were not aware of a particular aspect of grappling. This will boggle my mind if I think about it too hard, but let me try and sum up the illogicality of your statement: you cannot state you are not aware of something specific, because if you are not aware of it, you can't talk about it. There doesn't need to be any context to know that this is old bollocks. It's like the old argument about the giraffe and the waffle iron. I rest my case!

Incidentally, the elbow is the one you put an armbar on, the arse is the one you sit on and subsequently talk out of when you make up BJJ scenarios in front of your computer.

If all you @$$holes would get off your high horses and come back down to earth maybe this could be resolved in a more mature manner.
    You are the one making stuff up and getting all blousy about it when you're called on. You are on the high horse, except, it's an ass, and we're all laughing at you. But hey, that's entertainment!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    You went 2-1 in tap outs against one of the top BJJ practioners in New England?
    You know how people slap something when they're laughing hysterically?

It was probably an after-effect of the, "What?! Chinese ground work?!" gag: he rolled around, slapping the floor, Shaolinlueb thought it was on!

Easy mistake to make.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    what's the girraffe and waffle iron story?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    what's the girraffe and waffle iron story?
    Ex-****ing-actly!

i was at a party this weekend.

some of the top grappler's from new england were there. one of the guys from the ultimate fighter season 5 was there. i rolled with one of the BJJ guys.

1st time he won 2-1. we started on our knee's. he had an advantage.

2nd time i won 2-1. we were going from standing. i was able to use my stances and was able to put him down where i wanted and did decent.

my new take on bjj.

its not useless. definitely good. he was teaching me some of the locks. a couple of them i learned standing up. it was just getting into them. all in all i learned a lot. the guy i was rolling with learned a lot too.
    cool, props for getting down and trying it. so, who were these guys? i'm in HK now and studying bjj from Thomas Fan who is from the UK under Ze Marcello. Thomas is a Hakka dude who grew up doing nam tong long with his bros, then went through some other cmas, and finally fell in love with bjj. tell me the guys you rolled with, from what camp, and i'm sure we will know them. in other words, let me ask if these really were the "top" grapplers. just like kung fu, bjj is not a huge community. Ze has clubs throughout the UK. in fact, i just completed a week long seminar with him. he left for the UK an hour ago.

my sifu and i would sit and watch all the full-contact fighting stuff for hours. we'd analyze everything. i was pretty comfortable with the fact that my kung fu would work on the ground. but since laying on the floor or physically being on top of your opponent isn't anything i've ever encountered in Lung Ying kuen, i decided to take up bjj and see if what i surmised was in fact the truth.

i am getting ****ing spanked. and i love it. every class is an opportunity to learn more technique, compare it to what i know, and actually try it out in a safe and friendly and supportive atmosphere. there are so many things that really do apply from a good stand up game, which is my Lung Ying kuen principals. but the horizontal game is much different than the vertical game, and the jiujitsu is really givng me another dimension (pun intended) and it is enriching my stand up too.

the thing is, there is sport, and there is self-protection or war. sport, or reality. in sport, the more areas you know to enable yourself to succeed, the better. conditioned athletes need an aresenal when meeting like-minded conditioned athletes. in reality, it's the luck of the draw. the strong beats the weak, the smart beast the dumb, and the quick beats the slow.

i love the sport of martial arts. and because i am in reality a small person and female, i want to be prepared for reality. so i'm willing to expand my understanding into bjj because i felt it was the one area my Lung Ying kuen does not address significantly. i am thoroughly enjoying it, and at the same time, i will never abandon my incredibly useful Lung Ying kuen.

because you can lie to everyone but yourself.
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

Quote Originally Posted by meltdawn View Post

Now we just need people to actually absorb and understand this
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

There is also "national methods of self defense" and a few other books like this, but for the most part, the issue is that

1) this sort of stuff is widely ignored by mainstream CMA (police and military kept most of this stuff, some is still in Shuai Jiao)

2) it isn't really practiced in a way that you learn how to use it. Locking a person who stands there and lets you set up the lock is not going to teach you how to do it on a resisting opponent

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Don't know if anyone posted this yet:

Chin Na Fa
    Traditional Chinese submission Grappling

By Liu jinsheng and Zhao Jiang
    Translated and Prefaced by: Tim Cartmell

Here is a book that shows Chin Na techniques and principles from the 1930's.

In this book you will find:

Pinching with the arm from the front - Guillotine Choke
    Pinching the arm from the rear - RNC
    Crossing the Neck - side choke on the ground
    Supporting the elbow and breaking the wrist - ground grappling ( holding one arm with legs and "keylocking" the other)
    Blocking the elbow - Armbar
    Mounting the horse - ground work armbar
    Pinching the elbow - ground work armlock with legs of side control
    Breaking the foot - ankle lock

It seems that TCMA does indeed have ground work.
    Though not specialized like BJJ.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

so then what you're saying is the material is actually around if you look for it, all that needs be done is the development of a systematic training program to actually teach the material in a fashion that it can redily be learned and used.

what about fashioning a training program to spread this material based on a standard BJJ model for training?

the bjj people seem to have a pretty good method for themselves to spread thier art in a realisitc and alive manner.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by meltdawn View Post
    really? So I guess you've never seen bad comb-overs, toupee's,fat guys in speedos, fat broads in spandex....

in all seriousness, if you guys would get off the my style vs your style and realize that it's not style, but attributes that matter. Whether or not your system had grappling does not really matter (to me at least) but the fact that you have it now. I have always known a roundhouse kick. I trained in TKD, Tang Soo Do, Northern Shaolin, Kenpo, etc. My student, who is Thai spends his summers training in Muay Boran,Muay Chaya,and Krabi-Krabong in Thailand with his folks, and you can bet we are training these techniques in our Hung-Ga school.
    Why? Because as the song sez,"Nobody does it better." As posted above,SOME schools of shuai-jiao have the same grappling techniques as BJJ, and in many cases much more brutal, as they are not training for sport. But if I see a good technique in BJJ, or Greco-Roman, or ne-waza from Kodokan Judo, I will assimilate it into my training.
    Gung-Fu is (supposed to be) constantly evolving. In the past, fighters learned from anywhere they could, hence the development of sophisticated fighting arts, which were a product of evolution. When we continue to evolve, our Gung-Fu will have these thechniques. If we stay as frogs in our little well, we stagnate as martial artists, and do a diservice, not only to ourselves and our students, but to TCMA as a whole.

someone mentioned that the guy demonstrating in one of the books on chinese fsdt wrestling is a judo guy in a gi. Out of curiousity, is the guy actually a judo guy, or is he simply wearing a judo gi?