Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The CMA Ground Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    All this **** talking yet not one vid!?!?!? Quit reaching for something that is not there guys. Like Oso said, ground game is not in CMA. Period. Certainly no where near on par with BJJ Sambo etc.
    Even in Roberts post you see that his chap had to go train at a MMA gym to learn more of the ground game.
    Silliness,

Jake
    tattooedmonk is supposedly putting together some clips of himself showing the ground grappling from his style
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Based on the philosophy and the history of CMA it stands to reason that there is groundgrappling/ fighting with in the Art, equal to that of any other martial art..
    You are working backwards, trying to make reality fit your philosophy.

Seems like Kung Fu magazine has an article every month about Wing Chun grappling now. Where were these articles 10 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    You are working backwards, trying to make reality fit your philosophy.

Seems like Kung Fu magazine has an article every month about Wing Chun grappling now. Where were these articles 10 years ago?
    No one was interested 10 years ago. MMA was still considered fringe. It's only been in the last year to 18 months that it has gained enough popularity to go main stream.

And to apply your theory: the first UFC was almost 15 years ago, but MMA on cable was unherd of before TUF. Were was all the fight specials before that?
    ... on pay-per-veiw; they were available to those who were interested enough to find it, watch it, and pay for it. Just as CMA grappling was out there, but you had to be interested enough to find it and pay for it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    No one was interested 10 years ago. MMA was still considered fringe. It's only been in the last year to 18 months that it has gained enough popularity to go main stream.
    If it WAS there to begin with, it should have been taught along with the other skills of the system, regardless of "mainstream interest."

No one was interested...my @ss.

Tattooed -
    We are talking about a systematic approach to ground fighting/grappling. Where is your proof that it is in CMA???? I am not talking about you extrapulating ideas from the CMA, I am talking about a systemized approach utilizing proven applied theory. There is none. Period. What little stuff like Fukien Dog Boxing, Di Tang, etc. there is, none of it can hold up to anyone with 6 months of solid grappling training.
    Nothing has me ****ed up, reality is reality. Tim Cartmell is one of the few CMA trained fighters who has earned his BB in BJJ, on top of which he is fluent in Chinese and pretty much considered an expert in the area, and he will be the first to tell you that CMA has NO ground grappling!! Period. He has researched it, studied it, looked for it, and therefore I would believe more of what he says than some knucklehead on the net.
    If there was a solid grappling system found within the CMA then why have we not seen one, ONE, fighter in any MMA bout doing it????? Why??? Sambo is barely on the radar screen here in the US, and yet we have seen many guys competing in MMA! The CMA are 20 times larger/more popular than Sambo, yet we have not seen one, ONE, in any MMA bouts!
    Nuff' said.
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

If it WAS there to begin with, it should have been taught along with the other skills of the system, regardless of "mainstream interest."

No one was interested...my @ss.
    should have been but was not. does not mean it is not there
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 06-22-2007 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Tattooed -
    We are talking about a systematic approach to ground fighting/grappling. Where is your proof that it is in CMA???? I am not talking about you extrapulating ideas from the CMA, I am talking about a systemized approach utilizing proven applied theory. There is none. Period. What little stuff like Fukien Dog Boxing, Di Tang, etc. there is, none of it can hold up to anyone with 6 months of solid grappling training.
    Nothing has me ****ed up, reality is reality. Tim Cartmell is one of the few CMA trained fighters who has earned his BB in BJJ, on top of which he is fluent in Chinese and pretty much considered an expert in the area, and he will be the first to tell you that CMA has NO ground grappling!! Period. He has researched it, studied it, looked for it, and therefore I would believe more of what he says than some knucklehead on the net.
    If there was a solid grappling system found within the CMA then why have we not seen one, ONE, fighter in any MMA bout doing it????? Why??? Sambo is barely on the radar screen here in the US, and yet we have seen many guys competing in MMA! The CMA are 20 times larger/more popular than Sambo, yet we have not seen one, ONE, in any MMA bouts!
    Nuff' said.
    This is one guy and I know that there are others , but there are also alot of guys who are saying there is. Because this guy is more well know and has a BB in BJJ does not mean that it does not exist . I am sorry that his teachers did notknow or teach it.

Why is everyone having a problem with understanding that yeah a lot of CMA schools master do not teach ground fighting ?? But many do.

So what if they have not competed in MMA matches, did you not read what I said about that ?? This proves nothing.

From my experience with CMA and practitioners/ masters they do not care about this crap. . The competition is within and not about what MMA makes it out to be.

This is all ego, testosterone , money and fame filled bull****.

This is one guy and I know that there are others , but there are also alot of guys who are saying there is. Because this guy is more well know and has a BB in BJJ does not mean that it does not exist . I am sorry that his teachers did notknow or teach it.

Why is everyone having a problem with understanding that yeah a lot of CMA schools master do not teach ground fighting ?? But many do.

So what if they have not competed in MMA matches, did you not read what I said about that ?? This proves nothing.

From my experience with CMA and practitioners/ masters they do not care about this crap. . The competition is within and not about what MMA makes it out to be.

This is all ego, testosterone , money and fame filled bull****.
    Dude, I am sure that many CMA teach ground fighting and even ground grappling ( though I doubt the grappling compares to BJJ), it way be nice if you told us who and where these people are.

I am sorry that his teachers did notknow or teach it.
    So why are you the only SD guy that got this knowledge from your teachers?

my guess is he is an "inner door disciple" and he got there by, um, lets just say working hard for the money....
    Bless you

maybe we just do not care about what MMA and NHB is about ....which is ego , money , fame , etc. .

This is not what CMA is about.

There's the oldest cop-out of them all! Right up there with 'too deadly for.'

Based on the philosophy and the history of CMA it stands to reason that there is groundgrappling/ fighting with in the Art, equal to that of any other martial art..
    Here again, trying to 'theorize' something into existence.

I am not. we would train over eight hours a day in conditioning , philosophy, theory , concepts, principles, forms , etc I had really special masters who had experience in other CMAs prior to SD.It was their life and not just a job or hobby.

Modern Standpoint

IMO

In todays modern world, we as CMA practitioners if we are to hold true to our traditions to be the best we can, prepare ourselves for as many combat possibilities as we can, and train to be the best fighters we can be, we must not ignore the ground. Not saying we are, though definately, some do.

regardless of the past within the CMA community as a whole, whether the information was lost/deluted/hidden, or whether they chose not to extensively develop a grappling aspect to their self defense, that does not mean we need not to.

in light of the popularity of not only MMA, but grappling in general, CMA and other stand up dominated arts must be prepared for a grappler. Your chances of running into a martial artist and having to fight to protect/revenge/annihilate your enemy are rather slim. However IMO if you were to run into a martial artist and needed to fight, what are the odds in todays modern world he will be a grappler?

I think those odds are high.

IF you were to run into a MAist and had to fight him. Grappling is and has been a wonderful past time, yet with todays mainstream media and television/pay per view coverage of MMA(always fused with grappling of course) the desire to learn MMA/grappling will be at a high compared to many other, less publicised and proven modes of combat.

with this mindset, to truly be prepared as individuals for self defense, we must keep in mind the worst case scenario's. Facing a knowledgable grappler is one of those worst case scenario's for those not well versed in groundfighting/grappling.

sure sure, fight might not go to the ground cause of buddies, but what about anti social people like me? I dont travel in a pack, so a grappler would have a hay day with someone like me, unless i learn to protect myself and understand what a grappler will be going for, and how to defend that.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    There's the oldest cop-out of them all! Right up there with 'too deadly for.'
    Here is another problem with you you take things out of context . It said prior to this that it is also possible that they are afraid of getting their a$$es handed to them.

You are and idiot.

Jugaro Kano was the one who took the deadly techniques out of judo/ jujutsu for sport .

Even in the history of the art it is proven. Why?? .

So you do not think crushing someones larnyx is deadly or poking out someones eyes or kicking them in the nuts or hitting them in the back of the head, biteing, stomping on them, etc?? This is CMA/ Kung fu!!!

Then why is it they are banned in NHB /MMA then Einstein??

Then if these techniques are not deadly and the people that use them for real self defense are not deadly then why can they not be used?

It should say no holds barred with an asterix next to it.