Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video: Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund

video: Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund

Very cool fight. It's nice to finally see someone bringing it with some crazy kicks and different ring presence.

Cung Le versus Anderson Silva would be the fight of all history!
    A unique snowflake

that was an interesting fight. i am a little disappointed that cung le didnt go to the ground. i am curious to see what he does there. but he is always fun to watch. thanks for posting this vid. it was cool.

Props to Le for his showy kicking skills and pulling them off but I mean, Fryklund went for like, two takedowns, and halfheartedly, to his gut...

Silly.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

yea its like they went in and told him before-hand to make Cung Le look good. i think the announcer was right in saying his ego caused him to make that stupid decision.

i dont know...i just think Cung Le would last too long on the ground. we'll hafta see.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Question, is this suppose to be MMA or simply kickboxing?

thats for the fighters to decide

i would have loved to see his ground and pound aswell

still awesome kicks huh ?
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Hahaha.....it was good to see a pro fighter get the wind knocked out of him by two midsection kicks. I catch those every once and a while, and it's hard, if not impossible, to fight through 'em, 'cuz your head gets light.......

Can't fight physiology, I guess. Fryklund had the same reaction I generally have. Step back, hunch over a little, and eat something to the face.

Nice fight by CL.....very fun to watch. He plays the angles well, and sets up his more risky kicks very well.

hmm nice to see that spinning backfists are used by both fighters, I didn't know they used them in mma.

gEnerally, they don't. But it seems like the fighters had almost agreed to fight standup only. Kickboxing doesn't work well in MMA. Most fighters would duck the backfist and go for the takedown.

I think Fryklund just wanted to show he could go toe-to-toe against a sanshou guy, on Cung Le's terms.

Bad idea.

I was waiting for the takedown the entire fight.

Not saying CL doesn't have any ground game. I've just never seen it. Anyone have any links to any groundwork on his part?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulong View Post
    Question, is this suppose to be MMA or simply kickboxing?
    I've seen plenty of kickboxing-esque MMA fights. I think it's a general rule for show managers to schedule at least one fight that squares off two kickboxers.

1. It's faster, and more exciting, and it gets the fans excited to keep them interested for the whole show.
    2. Kickboxing is just visually great when there's fewer rules.
    3. It's unpredictable. In the ground game, you can often see what's going to happen seconds or minutes ahead of the outcome.
    4. Hard hits. They're fun to watch.

At amateur shows, at least, they like to pit a kickboxer against a grappler. The result usually favors the latter, but I've seen some great kickboxers annihilate their grappling opponents. Man, those fights really stoke the crowd, and pump it up for main events.

if you take a close look he did attempt to take cung le down several times it's just that cung le has a very good defense against take downs and force the other guy to stand up

I completely agree, Cung Le has some of the best takedown defense, I don't think (in sanshou or mma) I've ever seen Cung Le taken down. His wrestling background helps that out. Cung Le is such an exciting fighter to watch, I can't wait to see some of his fights as he climbs up the ladder.

Kudos to Cung! Always impressive.
    Bless you

Was this a recent fight?

I know the magazines made a big thing about Cung Le going into MMA but I've not heard anything.

How many MMA fights has he done? Won?

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    Was this a recent fight?

I know the magazines made a big thing about Cung Le going into MMA but I've not heard anything.

How many MMA fights has he done? Won?
    This was last Friday in San Jose (the Shamrock/Baroni fight). I was at this fight, and most of the bouts were pretty good. It was Cung Le's fourth MMA fight (and fourth win by KO).

-b