Thread: Knee Pain

Knee Pain

There is a dull pain in my left knee. It feels like its a ring of pain around my kneecap...

I was into Parkour for a while, then stopped because of knee fears/small pain. My right knee doesn't hurt, but there are small pops or clicks at random times in both knees.

There is normally no pain, but recently its been more constant. This has spurred me to go see a doctor, but until then I was wondering if it sounds serious to anyone?

Joint problems always scare the **** out of me, and im afraid that ive damaged my my knee by jumping around. I honestly hope its not something that cant be fixed/healed/whatever, because I feel like im way too young to be complaining about my knees hurting :P

Thanks for any info before I see the Dr. Man.

Quote Originally Posted by PaiLumDreamer View Post
    There is a dull pain in my left knee. It feels like its a ring of pain around my kneecap...

I was into Parkour for a while, then stopped because of knee fears/small pain. My right knee doesn't hurt, but there are small pops or clicks at random times in both knees.

There is normally no pain, but recently its been more constant. This has spurred me to go see a doctor, but until then I was wondering if it sounds serious to anyone?

Joint problems always scare the **** out of me, and im afraid that ive damaged my my knee by jumping around. I honestly hope its not something that cant be fixed/healed/whatever, because I feel like im way too young to be complaining about my knees hurting :P

Thanks for any info before I see the Dr. Man.
    It's hard to say for sure without having a doctor examine it. I often feel and hear a cracking sound just behind my kneecaps when I bend my knees while bearing weight on them. My doc has told me that this is caused by mild osteoarthritis. I also have some popping in my left knee occasionally which is from some minor meniscal damage that the docs say is not severe enough to require cleaning up with arthroscopic surgery. I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing that you are talking about. Only a doctor can make this call, and our descriptions can't be compared in text posted on these forums. You need to have it looked at by a pro.

That having been said, I take 1500 mg of glucosamine daily now, and it has done wonders for my knees. The cracking noises/feelings used to be worse, and were accompanied by mild pain. That has largely been reduced (almost never any pain) and I have been able to keep up my martial arts practice. You might ask your doctor about this. My doctor didn't mention it to me; I heard about it from one of my Muay Thai trainers.

-brian

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Hands-Over

When do/did you go to see the doctor?

I do something I call Hands-Over. Usualy I am at least in the same room type of thing, but not always. May I address the pain in your left knee? Locations--front, back, top, sides, bottom.

Saying cracking, My impression was lower-inside-front was the pain but the sounds seems to come from the upper outside front. You might havepain in the back which is actually the lower end of the thigh. But it is kind-of a feelining that your knee will give-out there.

Please consider allowing me to do Hands-Over (Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu, Squirrel's). Regardless of any lack of accuracy in the previous paragraph. I get impressions. Saying my impressions before you say your situation details, I can see what I thought without an ego altered relook.

You would say I could. I would post when I did and for how-long. I might include impressions...I got an impression thinking of doing Hands-Over on the inside of your thigh (1849HR, Tuesday 17 July 2007 (East Coast time U. S. of A.)) first might have been the back or inner thigh. But then saw~ it as the inside front or front-inside...

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Update, in case anyone is interested in my knee woes

There is a sharp pain at the bottom of my kneecap (on the right-ish side) on my right knee when I walk. There is mild pain around the top of my kneecap on my left knee, but not as much as the right, which seems to be fairly constant now.

I went to a normal doctor and he said just stay off of it, it shouldn't be anything serious. Today, it was hurting pretty bad and pretty constantly, so I went to an applied kinesiologist (Dr. Bob! ) who told me it was probably mildly inflamed, and out of line.

So he took some vibrating jackhammer and "forced my kneecap back into place" (I guess)

It still hurts. It doesn't seem like he did much at all - but there is a follow up on Wednesday.

I have no idea what "hands-on" is, but to me it sounded like some type of reiki(sp?) distance healing thing. I don't really know how much of that stuff actually works but you're welcome to try whatever you would like

This is really worrying me, because im going to China in 8 days and I dont want to wuss out of training because of me knee or make it worse because I go macho and push through pain.

Joints can be a scary thing once they start hurting.

Blog Entries

Hands-Overing

2346HR 2 minutes your Right knee Monday July 30, 2007
    0002HR 4 minutes your Left knee Tuesday July 31, 2007

impressions: Left leg has something at the back thigh; Right had something at the calf.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

No_Know's got a point with the calf pain in the right knee. Do you have, or have recently had, mirco tears in your calves? Most people tend to walk funny when they do, even after they are healed. Walking funny can throw off your ballence and mess with your knees. One knee hurting can cause the other to become injured, but usually in a slightly different area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I recently hurt the ball of my foot, and I may have been walking funny. I know I put a lot of strange stress on it during a san shou class where I originally hurt it - now its slightly bruised.

Even so, there was pain there before this injury, probably because I put a lot of unneeded stress on my knees from jumping off of things (Parkour, which ive now stopped because of knee pain.)

Im almost positive it's because I had improper landings during the 6+ months I trained.

It sounds like Dr. Bob is just the guy you need then. If it took 6 months to accumulate, it could take a while to fix it. It took me 2 years of seeing an Occupational Therapist to fix all the collateral damage I'd done to myself from a messed up hip just by favoring the leg on that side for several years. I still need to see an accuputurist every once in a while. Well worth it to fix the root of the problem rather than treating the side effects, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Blog Entries
    How's the knee(s)? How was the surgery?...

No_Know