Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is BJJ like Taiji on the ground?

Blog Entries

Is BJJ like Taiji on the ground?

Having had very limited exposure to BJJ I have a few questions. Would you say that BJJ groundfighting is similar to Taiji on the ground?

I notice that some of the best players of BJJ are generally not very big or muscular and that things like leverage, position, timing and other non-strength based factors seemed to be used to best an opponent.

In Taiji the strategy is to draw your opponent into an unfavorable position (ie off balance, over extended, etc.) and then issue force when they are most vulnerable. Is this a similar strategy in BJJ groundfighting?

And finally, as a Taiji player would learning BJJ groundfighting complement Taiji or would it hinder development of Taiji training in anyway? Would they flow seamlessly together through the different fighting ranges?

I ask because I am seriously considering learning some to round out my training but I would like to learn a type of groundfighting that is most like Taiji, not requiring loads of strength or force against force but that can simply be an extension of Taiji into a groundfighting situation.

One more thing. Does anyone know a good BJJ school in the NYC area? I am relocating in about a month and might be looking for a school where I can pick up some skills. I have been looking for a good Chen Taiji school but have been quite disappointed in the options, so I think I will just continue on practicing what I know and look for some other opportunities.

Thanks

FP
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 06-25-2007 at 10:41 AM.

BJJ is BJJ and Taiji is taiji, but they do share some common principles such as relaxation and "flowing" with an attack.

BJJ is an excellent compliment to ANY striking art.

Tim Cartmell likes to do both. It seems to work for him.

Surritt Bros. Kung-Fu San Soo
    P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117

just go and do it...its not hard to find and you wont lose anything by going (except maybe some illusions about what will and wont work against an experienced player on the ground)
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post

In Taiji the strategy is to draw your opponent into an unfavorable position (ie off balance, over extended, etc.) and then issue force when they are most vulnerable. Is this a similar strategy in BJJ groundfighting?

FP

You use this strategy a lot when sweeping someone from the guard
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

It is like a finger
    pointing to the moon
    do not concentrate on the finger
    or you will miss all the heavenly glory

It is like two sweaty men
    Rolling on the ground
    Do not concentrate on only the submission
    or you will lose position and go to sleep
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Having had very limited exposure to BJJ I have a few questions. Would you say that BJJ groundfighting is similar to Taiji on the ground?
    Only superficially.

I notice that some of the best players of BJJ are generally not very big or muscular and that things like leverage, position, timing and other non-strength based factors seemed to be used to best an opponent.
    This is how they are superficially similar. It's the same way performance taijiquan is only superficially similar to martial taijiquan. The underlying component of internal work at the extent that is in neijia is missing in BJJ, so that must be compensated for, if you want to truly compliment taijiquan.

It would be more accurate to say that taijiquan complements BJJ than BJJ would complement taijiquan.

Similar, except for taking full internal work/usage into account.

And finally, as a Taiji player would learning BJJ groundfighting complement Taiji or would it hinder development of Taiji training in anyway? Would they flow seamlessly together through the different fighting ranges?
    Only if, in the end, you performed BJJ under all the same principles, as taijiquan.

I have a question about BJJ training.

As a beginner, starting to learn BJJ/JJJ I have a concern.

How can you be sure to find a school where you can go learn and not be too worried about injury.

By injury I mean if your learning BJJ you will roll with people more experienced than you right? Do you ever roll with people on the same level as you? If so how do the instructors usually make sure that the novices dont go so hard as to really mess you up, joint wise.

I would like to learn some BJJ but i have heard too many horror stories about over ambitious guys who dont know the meaning of restraint causing injury that will last a lifetime.

How do you know you are at a school that has a good injury rate other than asking the instructors? Are there any signs to watch for?

Im really interested in learning some BJJ but i want to make sure my elbows, shoulders, knees, etc. dont get all ****ed up and ruin me.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Does anyone know a good BJJ school in the NYC area?
    funniest post of the year
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

BJJ is more similar to wrestling, Sambo and judo because all are competitive and performance based. Most Taiji is not done this way. If it was, it too would be similar to wrestling, Sambo and judo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    funniest post of the year

Why is that funny?

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post

How can you be sure to find a school where you can go learn and not be too worried about injury.

By injury I mean if your learning BJJ you will roll with people more experienced than you right? Do you ever roll with people on the same level as you? If so how do the instructors usually make sure that the novices dont go so hard as to really mess you up, joint wise.

I would like to learn some BJJ but i have heard too many horror stories about over ambitious guys who dont know the meaning of restraint causing injury that will last a lifetime.

How do you know you are at a school that has a good injury rate other than asking the instructors? Are there any signs to watch for?

Im really interested in learning some BJJ but i want to make sure my elbows, shoulders, knees, etc. dont get all ****ed up and ruin me.
    Easy, Tap when they are subbing you.
    Most of the time, injuries come from egos.
    Don't have one and you will have less injuries.

Submissions by the very nature are USUALLY applied in a progressive way, you won't be that surprised by them, they won't "hit you out of nowhere" like a blindsided left hook to the jaw, or a Taji inspired finger flick to the nads.

Why is that funny?
    http://www.renzogracie.com/html/rzacademy.aspx

One more thing. Does anyone know a good BJJ school in the NYC area? I am relocating in about a month and might be looking for a school where I can pick up some skills. I have been looking for a good Chen Taiji school but have been quite disappointed in the options, so I think I will just continue on practicing what I know and look for some other opportunities.

Thanks

FP
    In new York you will find a bunch of them and you will also find the perfect Taiji for BJJ, William CC Chen's Taiji.

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post

BJJ is a competitive, performance based activity. Injuries come with the territory in all combat activities that are competitive and performance based .

You will get injured along the road.

However, to keep injuries at a minimum, keep ego out of it and tap when you are caught. Also, don't roll with people who are known to spaz out.