Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is BJJ like Taiji on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    Why is that funny?
    NY has a lot of quality places.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    In new York you will find a bunch of them and you will also find the perfect Taiji for BJJ, William CC Chen's Taiji.
    Why do you feel William C. C. Chen's Taiji is perfect for BJJ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    Why do you feel William C. C. Chen's Taiji is perfect for BJJ?
    Its more "combat oriented", William has always been about the fighting and his kids are involved in KB and MMA ( or branching out to MMA).
    he also has "regular" taiji classes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    BJJ is more similar to wrestling, Sambo and judo because all are competitive and performance based. Most Taiji is not done this way. If it was, it too would be similar to wrestling, Sambo and judo.
    I'm not sure about the above statement. I've never studied wrestling, sambo and judo.

I can tell you that from what I do know and have seen, that there are differences. Taiji is not a simply a wrestling art, like all Chinese styles of kung fu it has Shuai, Ti, Da and Na. That is.... throwing, kicking, striking and locking.

Also, the thing that I think is unique about Taiji ,and correct me if I am wrong on this point in regards to other arts, is that the incoming force is almost always neutralized in an almost passive way before any force is issued.

Instead of "fighting for" position, in Taiji the opponent is left to kind of upset his own position through his own excessive force and then a counter attack (Shuai, Ti, Da or Na) is issued. (Sometimes the neutralization and counter happen so fast that they appear to be simultaneous.)

Perhaps at higher levels of Judo, Sambo and Wrestling this is the same (although I'm not sure they have Ti and Da)...but again having no real experience of them first hand I can't really say. My background is in Karate, TKD, Hung Gar, CLF and little bit of Aikido.

In terms of the Shuai aspect I'd say Taiji is probably most like Aikido.

Why is that funny?
    Renzo Gracie
    Carmie Zocchi
    The Santos brothrs
    Marcelo Garcia
    Fabio Clemente
    Emerson Souza
    etc
    etc
    etc

probably one of the best cities in the US for BJJ
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post

However, to keep injuries at a minimum, keep ego out of it and tap when you are caught. Also, don't roll with people who are known to spaz out.
    its a given injury will be part of the game, but this is what im curious about.

do you actually get to choose who you roll with at most schools?

can you be like "i dont want to spar/roll with that guy, hes a spaz"

how much freedom do you generally have at your average BJJ school to decide what you will do while training under your coach? On average do you direct your own training and who you will fight?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Its more "combat oriented", William has always been about the fighting and his kids are involved in KB and MMA ( or branching out to MMA).
    he also has "regular" taiji classes.
    I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post

how much freedom do you generally have at your average BJJ school to decide what you will do while training under your coach? On average do you direct your own training and who you will fight?
    Take some private lessons, learn, enjoy, the worse thing that could happen is you get choked out and wake up with a sore butt, but hey, that can happen in any MA gym.

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post

Quit being such a puss. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    I was just curious.
    No problem, you won't hear Chen speaking much about chi and that other stuff, he has a "physics" reply for anything Taiji related and he can hit with serious power, even now.

I'm not sure about the above statement. I've never studied wrestling, sambo and judo.

I can tell you that from what I do know and have seen, that there are differences. Taiji is not a simply a wrestling art, like all Chinese styles of kung fu it has Shuai, Ti, Da and Na. That is.... throwing, kicking, striking and locking.

Also, the thing that I think is unique about Taiji ,and correct me if I am wrong on this point in regards to other arts, is that the incoming force is almost always neutralized in an almost passive way before any force is issued.

Instead of "fighting for" position, in Taiji the opponent is left to kind of upset his own position through his own excessive force and then a counter attack (Shuai, Ti, Da or Na) is issued. (Sometimes the neutralization and counter happen so fast that they appear to be simultaneous.)
    I was talking about just the grappling part. Take a couple of Taiji guys and tell them to go all out, trying to take each other down, throw or push each with each one trying as hard as he can. It will look much like other forms of grappling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Renzo Gracie
    Carmie Zocchi
    The Santos brothrs
    Marcelo Garcia
    Fabio Clemente
    Emerson Souza
    etc
    etc
    etc

probably one of the best cities in the US for BJJ
    I noticed you put Renzo Gracie at the top of that list. Is he the best one?

He's not bad at all....

I don't know who is the best teacher, but I do know I would kill to be able to train with Marcello Garcia.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 06-25-2007 at 11:53 AM.

Take some private lessons, learn, enjoy, the worse thing that could happen is you get choked out and wake up with a sore butt, but hey, that can happen in any MA gym.
    im fine getting choked out, but if i wake up with a sore butt ill kill you all!

i guess i just need to find a good school and talk to the coach.

where would you guys recommend for Portland OR?

team quest?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!