Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Alan Orr Body Structure

Hi Victor

RE:

Hope all is well. Your full body structure approach to wing chun and the kinds of punching technique you guys use look good. And I like your dvds.

Alan: Thanks.

RE:

But I didn't realize that the threads on this forum are all infomercials, Alan. I thought they were meant to be discussions that include various wing chun people, lineages, and points of view about the subject matter of the thread. And I gave my views about "structure" - including yours.

Alan: I didn't realize it was an infomercial either. The forum is about a lot of things. But that is why it has many different threads. Your method was not asked about on this thread, but you always seem to need to tell everyone anyway. It makes you look like you have something to prove.

RE:

Oh, and btw...when you see the skills of the guys I intend to work with on the vids I'll post - I think all speculation about the need for me to get out more will end.

Alan: I look forward to hearing and seeing your progress. Who you going to work with? Well done for going out to test yourself.

Regards

Alan

www.alanorr.com

"It makes you look like you have something to prove."

***Yeah, right...just me.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 06-29-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Hello all,

I've never posted here but this topic particularly interests me, consequently I have some questions that pertain (albeit vaguely in some instances) to this thread.

Previously I've trained in various Wing Chun schools with the following assumptions:-

1. Chi Sau helped develop 'stickiness' so that my arms would move to the optimum position for defence and counter attack once a 'bridge had been established.

2. Consequently a 'bridge' is often sought - by this I mean arm to arm contact.

3. Although concept driven, Wing Chun still contains some self defense applications within the forms (such as a bear-hug escape).

4. Power was derived from tensing at the end of the punch, or locking out the elbows.

5. If your arm has made contact with an assailant's attacking arm and they have a lot of power, then you may need to pivot away from the assailant in order to re-direct their force - as per the turns in Chum Kiu

Where I train now, my thinking is thus:-

6. Chi sau has nothing to do with stickiness but about developing power through structure via the correct body behaviour / alignment / elbow / hip movement.

7. Seeking a bridge is chasing hands - bad.

8. Absolutely no self defense moves in the forms - only behaviours / attributes / and exercises for helping with these.

9. Power derived through legs, hips and elbow alignment. I used to think Wing Chun had a weak punch and thus needed chain punches. Now I think it's a powerful punch and chain punching is just and exercises I perform slowly on a wall bag.

10. Rarely (if ever) turn hips away from assailant. Turns in Chum Kiu are exercises / concepts regarding facing rather than about turning away. Bong for example should always work without a pivot, otherwise it's way too slow.

I'd be really interested in which statements people think are correct (ish)and which are wrong (ish). Hope I'm not being cheeky being a noob and all.

Cheers,

Hanman

Some interesting stuff there..

I'd start a new thread with that one..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

"I'd post a new thread with that one"

Done - it's called 'Structure or Stickiness etc' - for want of a better title.