Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If JKD so much better than...

rogue Guest

If JKD so much better than...

traditional arts such as Karate, TKD, trad. CMA, Judo, Jujitsu, Wrestling, Wing Chun, Western Boxing, Fencing, Savate and Thai Boxing. Why is JKD dependent on these other arts to give it techniques to use, and not the other way around?

What new thing outside of the concepts, which are not that new at all, has JKD come up with?

Budokan Guest

Freedom

The freedom to use anything that works, from any style, and not be tied down to ways of tradional thinking.

K. Mark Hoover

8stepsifu Guest

added nothing

Freedom to take whats good? Like Shaolin did for hundreds of years? Like Wang Long did?

The only reason traditional teachers discourage cross training is because you have to know what the rules are before you can bend them and play with them. Traditional teachers want to spare you from becoming that first shaolin monk to kick and punch and not have to start from scratch.

Would you learn only 3rd grade math and then try to figure out physics? YOu could, it would truley be "yours" but you would have to be a genious to make it as far as your college physics student.

Ryu Guest
    JKD is a way of self-evaluation, and above all personal expression. Everyone wants to use what works, but only the bravest of people want to know exactly why they do what they do.

(hey it's late, I can talk like a fortune cookie if I want to)

Ryu

judo legend, Masahiko Kimura

apoweyn Guest
    I've never heard anyone in JKD claim to have created something new. Just to reclaim something lost. Bruce Lee apparently perceived a lack of inquiry on the part of martial arts students. They were accepting what they were told wholesale.

The martial arts climate today has changed pretty dramatically from the 60s, I suspect. (Though, at 29 years old, I obviously don't know first hand.) So perhaps nothing in JKD strikes us as particularly noteworthy now. But that's out of context. JKD was a reaction to martial arts as Bruce Lee experienced them. To judge that call by a mindset in 2001 is a bit flawed.

To my mind, any art can be used to "find yourself" or "discover the truth" or whatever. But he perceived a need and addressed it. I don't think you can fault the man for that.

As for JKD today, well obviously its practitioners are, to a degree, going to make it sound like the Second Coming. That's advertising. Even those teachers that aren't trying to sell something are still hoping to promote their art. As are the traditionalists. (Man, I hate those designations.)

Stuart

jjj Guest
    MMA is a good example of what JKD is really about IMO. The idea of aliveness is crucial... being a complete fighter capable in all ranges, not limited by 'traditional' boundaries, and encouraging freedom of thought, experimentation and healthy skepticism.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It's not really NHB because they won't let me bring a platoon of Navy SEAL's with Blackhawk fire support into the ring!"
    -Watchman

apoweyn Guest
    I'd agree.

But I think a lot of traditionalists are using a more inquiry-based model now too. Testing conclusions in sparring, question their ability to handle various other styles. Addressing the issues of "reality."

I suspect that we, as a community, are so much more used to thinking the way Bruce Lee envisioned that what he said is now less dramatic to us.

Stuart

LEGEND Guest
    BRUCE LEE...he made a mistake naming his way of fighting JKD! Now everyone thinks JKD is some awesome fighting system...not true...it's HIS personal expersion of fighting...take for example...MUHAMMAD ALI and JOE FRAZIER...both learned the art of boxing...but both have different ways of expressing the style...MUHAMMAD uses his long range techs and JOE uses more of a body shot style...

A

jjj Guest
    I think he meant JKD as an idea not a style... alot of people have trouble making the distinction (and some people exploit it).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It's not really NHB because they won't let me bring a platoon of Navy SEAL's with Blackhawk fire support into the ring!"
    -Watchman

DrunkenMonkey Guest
    JKD is a Martial Arts concept. Its not really an art on its own. That is why it is dependent on other arts.

Underaged Drunken Monkey

Braden Guest
    JKD is the Shaolin of people who claim they know better.

Zhooter Guest
    "MMA is a good example of what JKD is really about IMO. The idea of aliveness is crucial... being a complete fighter capable in all ranges, not limited by 'traditional' boundaries, and encouraging freedom of thought, experimentation and healthy skepticism"

Sounds like you're talking about Tai Chi Chuan. Tai Chi Chuan is everything JKD and all the other so-called modern combative systems are trying to be and much, much more.

Tai Chi Chuan is the original "mixed martial art"

No "wazoo kung fu" in TCC.

Not subject to debate.

"Lurkers need not reply"

The truth shall be known!

Lucky Red Guest
    isnt jkd just a philosophy i dunno
    it seems like it to me

Evil grows deep in shallow Minds

jjj Guest
    >>Sounds like you're talking about Tai Chi Chuan<<

No, sorry. Good guess though! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Watchman

jjj Guest
    BTW, what is "wazoo kung fu"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Watchman