Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Gong-Fu- A Course in Traditional Forms by Liu Baoshan

jackiech Guest

Shaolin Gong-Fu- A Course in Traditional Forms by Liu Baoshan

Has anybody read this book?
    Which is better choice...if I order wing lam's Shaolin kung fu series (videos) or if I order this book series?

Yuen Guest
    Generally forms are easier to learn from videos, rather than from books. However this depends on the person. Maybe for some people it is easier to follow from a book. By the way, where are you planning to buy them from?

jackiech Guest
    From http://www.superiormartialarts.com
    It is a good page

XiaoLong Guest
    The books are very good. Shows you the original Shaolin forms as they are trained in and near Shaolin village by thousands of people. The only thing, you can't learn the forms from the books. The books are well detailed (drawings, good described) however you need to study them from a real instructor. I would defenitely go for the books (I also have them). If you still need to buy them or the video's please consider using this link (so I can earn some commission :) )
    Superior Martial Arts

GeneChing Guest

not those books...

I was the first to import those books for WLE. I had met the author, Liu Haichao, at Shaolin in '95 and got some of the first copies hot off the presses, dedicated, autographed and chopped by him. BTW, the website above is a drop-shipper for WLE - better to go direct. Even better to get them from Taguo, they're much less expensive.

As for the books, they're a fascinating reference, a must-have for shaolin aficionados. Very difficult to learn from though, and not without it's share of Chinglish and errors, but you get used to that in CMA research.

I met with Liu Baoshan, Taguo's grandmaster that oversaw publication of the series, again a few weeks ago. He seems to be doing well and was very kind. No word on if they will be adding more books yet...

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

Royal Dragon Guest
    Gene,
    Just so you know (since you took my order personally), I have'nt had any problems learning the forms directly from the texts. Infact, I thought they were broke down in such small steps, that it was easyer than other texts I tried to learn forms from.
    I'm just curious as to weather or not thos forms are legitimately "Traditional" or modern Wushu versions of "Traditional" forms

Royal Dragon

"Chi is Chinese for Spinach"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

GeneChing Guest

royal dragon

Took your order personally, did I? Those were the daze.
    I'm impressed you could learn from those books. You know, I know some of those sets so I use it for notes a lot and I can't always decipher it. Maybe that's just me. There is some variations between the different schools at Shaolin, and that always trips me up.
    Those are traditional sets, not contemporary wushu - no flips or aerials - straight forward forms that walk the line...

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher

beiquan Guest

some bad translation

i'd be careful with those books, like Gene says they are very informative and a good reference...i tried a couple of the qigong exercises in the 5th book, however, and noticed pretty quickly that in a lot of places the English instructions were less detailed (sometimes actually very different) from the Chinese instructions... even to the point where the Chinese would say "right hand" and the English would say "left hand"!

XiaoLong Guest
    In 1993 I have met Liu Haichao with the books. However he only had the first 3 ready. It won't be possible to learn the forms & the applications in a correct way from the books, even if you have 10 or more years Shaolin experience. Use them after you have mastered the forms (learning from a real master) :D

Royal Dragon Guest

Actually Gene,

You took the order for the first three, as I ordewred it almost as soon as you got the first shipment in. The other two, I got later and someone else took that order.

Anyway, I learned Shou Hong Chuan from my old Sifu, but I had not done it in such a long time I had gaps in the movement. I used the form in the book to fill those gaps. I know the Shao Hong Chuan I do now is a mix of the book and what I was taught, and probually unique to me, but I kinda like that.

RD

GeneChing Guest

xiao & royal

xl: You had an edition in '93? I knew it was completed in '93 but I thought it didn't go to press until '94 and wasn't released to outside of Taguo until '95. Was the version you saw in '93 like the one that's currently in print? Books 4 & 5 didn't come out until later, thus the different cover design.

rd: That's cool, I'm honored you remember me taking that order.
    I always try to get a quick XHQ pointer from diferent monks, videos and books and I always get contradictory, yet valid advice. As they say, it takes a superior mind to hold two contradictory bits of info in your head and proceed. Wish I had that superior mind, because it's kind of messed up my XHQ. Although I must say, I reviewed it with my master (who taught it to me originally) and wasn't too harsh on the pointers. He actually seemed pleased, which surprised me since my XHQ has decayed to my mind, especially with all of the contradictions. Anyway it was encouraging and has renewed my interest in that set. It's such a great set.

BTW, watch for our JAN/FEB 2002 issue. I've put together a little thing on XHQ/DHQ applications.

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher

Royal Dragon Guest

Martial Monks

I have a question,

Are the Martial Monk forms in the Tagou books from the Northern Louhan style? I heard this once, and I would like some confirmation.

Question Information on Shaolin Gong Fu: A Course in Traditional Forms

Hello, I'm interested in buying the Taguo Books and was wondering if you have the books can you please give a list of these 54 forms in contains.

Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Thanks, but its out of stock.
    I'll just get it from Wing Lam.

Can you tell me many of the forms it has or a link that gives a list or that type of information? I Thank you for your help!