Thread: Building endurance

Building endurance

I used to run. Not daily, but at least a couple times a week, and it kept my endurance up. However, my knees are not what they used to be and running on pavement seems to aggrevate them.

So, I am looking into other options, which include running on dirt trails (there are good trails about 5 miles away that I could hit before work), or bicycling (25 mile rides with about 2000 feet of climbing, or longer rides with less climbing; lots of good routes around here). I usually only ride on weekends.

So, my question for all you martial artists is this: what do you do for conditioning and endurance training? What have you found to be most effective and least damaging to your aging joints?

Thanks,
    -brian

I ride my bike around, mostly for transportation though.

For endurance I: do interval training at home, free rolling (specific sport activity is probably best to develop endurance for that sport), other sports (tennis, frisbee)
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by boshea View Post
    I used to run. Not daily, but at least a couple times a week, and it kept my endurance up. However, my knees are not what they used to be and running on pavement seems to aggrevate them.

So, I am looking into other options, which include running on dirt trails (there are good trails about 5 miles away that I could hit before work), or bicycling (25 mile rides with about 2000 feet of climbing, or longer rides with less climbing; lots of good routes around here). I usually only ride on weekends.

So, my question for all you martial artists is this: what do you do for conditioning and endurance training? What have you found to be most effective and least damaging to your aging joints?

Thanks,
    -brian
    There is conditioning - body forging
    There is cardiovascular endurance.
    There is muscular endurance.

HIIT

"If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    HIIT

HIIT and especially the Tabata protocol/ method, are advanced a cardio workouts that are also/even more so, anaerobic in nature.
    Not for the beginner or timid of heart.

It does depend on your goals. I know you do muay thai, if this is the case work the same energy system you use in muay thai. Train in intervals, 2 minute rounds of shadowboxing, jumping rope, heavy bag, burpees.

Although they may not directly relate I like playing other sports, both for fun and additional conditioning. I figure it can't hurt, plus its fun.
    Bless you

Just finished mine .

Besides, he asked what do I do for conditioning and endurance training.

I like the duality of the Tabata protocol. For me it gives both anaerobic and aerobic fitness. The first couple of sets are anaerobic, moving to progressively more aerobic especially after the 3rd.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Just finished mine .

Besides, he asked what do I do for conditioning and endurance training.

I like the duality of the Tabata protocol. For me it gives both anaerobic and aerobic fitness. The first couple of sets are anaerobic, moving to progressively more aerobic especially after the 3rd.
    Nice understatement !

Thanks

Thanks guys for your feedback. This is good stuff.

-brian

Shadow boxing, burpees.
    If your knees hurt you can do burpees on chairs.
    I don't like running for exactly knee reason. Even on soft surface.
    I don't concider biking natural movement. It's good, but not as effective as running. What about light weight weighlifting for high reps?

What do you want endurance for? Running? Fighting? Increasing the distance you run, which is lower intensity, won't necessarily give you more endurance for a fight, which is higher intensity.

If you want more endurance for fighting, practice fighting in 1, 2, or 3 min rounds. There's a reason you get tired after a few rounds of fighting but you can run for 30-60 minutes without getting as tired.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Although i know it's probably the only thing more boring than running, swimming laps is the easiest thing on the knees and requires your entire body to be coordinatied; you can change the stroke or speed for more a more interval training type of work out. If you gym doesn't have a pool, check see if they partner with a local YMCA or public natatorium.