Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drug Abuse in Pro Wrestling

Drug Abuse in Pro Wrestling

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/...97307-sun.html

Column: The bell tolls for them
    Wrestlers put life on the line
    By STEVE SIMMONS -- Toronto Sun

The wrestlers of my youth didn't die young.

The Sheik, after all the fire, the gouging and the biting, lived to 76. Bobo Brazil, whose head suffered no damage from a lifetime of Coco Butts, managed to make it to 73. Freddie Blassie bled his way all over America to the ripe old age of 85.

The wrestlers of my youth didn't do steroids.

The carnage left behind by steroid abuse in toxic combination with the hardened life of professional wrestling, painkiller usage, the number of concussions, the constant pressure and demands on big bodies, seems never-ending. The victims, too many for so small a world, are both dead and alive.

If Chris Benoit, a steroid abuser, chooses to kill himself, that is his business. He took the necessary drugs he required to make a career and then he took his life.

But when Benoit first murders his wife and smothers his seven-year-old son, that ceases to be his business. We have to ask, once again, how many wrestlers are going to die young, how many murders and suicides and lives are going to be destroyed in the name of sports entertainment.

And who, or what, or anyone, can prevent any of this from happening?

I first met Chris Benoit more than 20 years ago, backstage at the grungy place where Stampede Wrestling used to hold its Friday-night shows. Bruce Hart, son of the late Stu Hart, introduced us.

Benoit wasn't very tall, very old, very imposing or very muscled. But he knew what he wanted to be. That much was clear. He told me he was going to be a professional wrestling star and inside I kind of chuckled to myself.

How could a kid that small make it big in pro wrestling?

The workers -- as Stu Hart used to call them -- of Stampede Wrestling never were huge in stature. This was a small-time promotion. Size clearly didn't matter.

But it's amazing, looking back, to one place and one time, how much promise there was for these hungry kids and how lives have twisted because of the complications attached to those wonky dreams.

Brian Pillman, cut after playing a few games with the Calgary Stampeders, was there. Davey Boy Smith, another short stocky kid, was part of the show. The Dynamite Kid was athletic but didn't look like he weighed a pound more than 180. And, Bruce Hart's little brother Owen, who wasn't always sure he wanted to wrestle, was starting out.

Each of them would leave for the bright lights of Vince McMahon's World Wrestling Federation (now World Wrestling Entertainment). Since then, so many funerals, so many tragedies, so few explanations.

Pillman, whose raspy voice I can still hear, was found dead in a hotel room in 1997. He was 35 years old and died of an apparent heart attack, steroid related.

Two years later, Owen Hart crashed to his death at 34, when a wrestling stunt went horribly wrong. His death was a tragic accident, unrelated to the drugs that were around him.

Three years later, Owen's brother-in-law, Davey Boy Smith, died of a heart attack at 39. Not unlike Benoit, Smith was undersized when he tried to make his way to the big money world. The owner and promoter, McMahon, wanted everyone, including himself, to look like Hulk Hogan, everyone that big, that built: the cartoon character's larger than life.

Smith became as big as he could, as thick and as muscled. But his heart all but exploded on May 17, 2002. He didn't survive.

Another undersized wrestler of that promotion never made the big time in spite of having a great name. Biff Wellington started out in the same years as Benoit -- they were once tag-team partners -- without similar ability but with similar frame. As Benoit grew in both size and as a star, Wellington all but disappeared.

He ended up on drugs, then methadone, painkillers and when he was found dead just eight days ago, it hardly registered as news.

There wasn't a murder, a death of a child, a suicide or an ill-thought out television tribute.

Just another wrestler dead before his time. Another graduate of Stampede gone.

KILLER OCCUPATION

Professional wrestlers who have died prematurely in recent years:
    Chris Benoit, 40
    Bam Bam Bigelow, 45
    Mike Awesome, 42
    Biff Wellington, 42
    Earthquake, 42
    Eddy Guerrero, 38
    Big Boss Man, 41
    Hercules Hernandez, 47
    Mr Perfect, Curt Hennig, 44
    Crash Holly, 32
    Road Warrior Hawk, 45
    Davey Boy Smith, 39
    Yokozuna, 34
    Terry Gordy, 40
    Bobby Duncum Jr., 34
    OTHER WRESTLERS WHO DIED YOUNG:
    Andre The Giant, 46
    Owen Hart, 34
    Rick Rude, 40
    Big John Studd, 46
    Junk Yard Dog, 45
    Dino Bravo, 44
    Brian Pillman, 35

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/...97264-sun.html

Column: Wrestling with steroids
    By NEIL WAUGH -- Edmonton Sun

Whatever demons entered Edmonton wrestler Chris Benoit's mind last Saturday we will never know.

But his extreme act of violence - where he strangled his wife Nancy and seven-year-old son Daniel before taking his own life by hanging himself from a gym equipment cable - has turned peaceful 130 Green Meadow Lane in sleepy Fayetteville, Ga., into the focus of the world. At least for a day or two.

Maybe more so than Benoit ever did when he toiled for World Wrestling Entertainment.

But it now has Vince McMahon's Stamford, Ct.,-based empire on full damage control.

All the phoney tributes about Benoit have been scrubbed from the corporate website after the horror of his acts became known and allegations of steroids on the premises were made.

Reports by Georgia authorities that needle marks were found on Daniel's arms leading them to suspect Benoit was administering growth hormones to his own son have made the story even more bizarre and sickening.

A "message from the chairman" filed on the WWE site claimed "the facts of the horrific tragedy are now apparent." Not exactly, Vince.

Then McMahon talked about "the first step of the healing process."

The WWE tour to Rexall Place, Saskatoon, Regina and Calgary's Saddledome from July 14 to 17 has been postponed "out of respect to the Benoit family and the city of Edmonton."

There was also a "timeline" with the text messages Benoit sent on Saturday night to unidentified "co-workers."

One where he told WWE headquarters he and Nancy were "in hospital with their son."

And a spooky 3:53 a.m. one where he messaged "the dogs are in the enclosed pool area."

Then McMahon lashed out at what he called "sensational reporting and speculation".

He claimed that statements by the Georgia authorities "run contrary to media speculation that 'roid rage was a factor."

"The presence of a Bible by each (of Nancy and Daniel's bodies) is not an act of rage," McMahon insisted. He pointed out that Benoit had tested "negative" for steroids as late as April 10 under WWE's "talent wellness program."

There's a lot at stake here. Corporate records filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission show that McMahon collects an annual salary of $850,000 US. His wife gets $500,000 US. He also owns 97 million shares. Yesterday the shares were trading over $15 US. On May 11 the company declared a 24 cents a share dividend. Do the math.

But more disturbing allegations have surfaced out of Albany, N.Y., where aggressive District Attorney P. David Soares is winding up an illegal steroids-selling sting run out of Orlando, Fla., called "Operation Which Doctor."

The Florida outfit MedXLife claimed to be an "anti-aging" operation.

But its website now says it's no longer re-filling prescriptions because of a "pharmacy situation out of our control."

A "situation" called P. David Soares and a New York grand jury.

But Albany media reports say FedEx records in the New York police investigation show a "Christopher Benoit" received packages from MedXLife on three occasions. Once allegedly at his former Georgia address.

Which brings us to Edmonton's struggling city council. The outfit charged by the provincial government to regulate prize fighting and professional wrestling through a delegated authority called the Combative Sports Commission.

A brand new city bylaw orders commission medical personnel to "examine a contestant prior to an event or immediately after a contest."

There's a $125 per fighter charge in the fee schedule for "drug testing."

And a $10,000 fine or a year in the slammer for anyone who "furnishes false information or misrepresents a fact."

So are WWE performers and other pro wrestlers being tested for steroids or growth-enhancing drugs?

Considering the high-profile deaths of Calgary's Davey Boy Smith and Benoit's travelling wrestling buddy Eddie Guerrero of heart failure because of suspected steroid abuse, the answer should be obvious. Except it isn't.

"No we don't," confessed commission executive director Orest Zmyndak. Although he does admit "we do have a committee to look at the concerns about it."

The commission's curious reasoning is that it's "very expensive."

"It's a bit of a dilemma, who do you pass on the charges to," Zmyndak sighed.

How about the guy who just got a huge dividend cheque?

While the Edmonton commission collects up to $15,000 in fees from WWE events for basically doing nothing.

"If you demand too much from them they're not going to come here." Zmyndak said. "We don't want to deprive the people of Edmonton of a show."

It looks like city council has a serious drug problem.

Sometimes we need to remember that, as a society, nothing we do or want is isolated and that every action has a reaction.

Yes, they made the decisions to take drugs themselves and as such, its THEIR responsibility, but how much of the "blame" falls on a society that demands certain unrealistic expectations of their "idols", for lack of a better word.

drug abuse in combat sports

Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    Yep...

Is this a stygma of the times?
    Or are these athletes the exception ?

That's such a bummer. Some of those fellows (or rather, thier characters) were childhood heros of mine.

It's sad what's become of sports. Steroids are the single worst thing to have happened to athletics in the history of humanity. We're no longer working out for health, but for looks... everyone wants to look like a walking comic book character. Very few of these individulas consider the consequences until it's too late.

being in the industry of pro wrestling, i can say those guys are always looking for a way to get big. and a wwe employee said, "we do standard drug testing" and later on said "if you want to make it, get big". he didnt say do steroids, but a majority of the people in wrestling are on some type of suppliment.

some guys just do a cycle or 2 to get big.

i think its sad. out of all the people i have met i can say about 50% used steroids at one time in their training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I think in the Benoit story, steroids have become the media hype sensationalism. Just cuz many of these guys are big and buff, people wanna scream "steroids" did it! We had a recent local double murder suicide in my city, and no one was on steroids. And, there are lots of positive, way more than negative studies done with people on steroids. Once someone passes 25-30, their test count drops, and especially older guys, they actually get prescribed steroids, and monitored by a doctor, and the overal health benefits have always way outdone any negative side effects.

This is of course different, than a teenager getting some stuff from Mexico with no idea what he's even doing. Steroids are a science, and most top competitors know what they are doing. This also included passing tests. But, again, it's not just wreslting. The Pro-Football scene is very similar, with guys getting busted for crime and violence, and I read their lifespan is about 55.

I enjoy wrestling. If I had to critique it, I would say it's more the never off-season way it's run, as well as a deisire to look good, that would make it stressfull, mentally and physically. Couple that with home problems, I would guess that could make someone snap, as it seems to have done. The crazy aspect of this, is this is someone who outwardly, would never seem to be the type to do this, but then, often that's said about people who do heinous things.

I do agree with the WWE, that this story should not be a sensationalistic hype over steroids. Perhaps steroids played a role in the big picture, but lots of people take steroids, not just big and buff pro-wrestlers or bodybuilders. Football, Baseball, I'm actually sure that it is used in EVERY physical competive sport or event, and even in high school, and since the 1960's.

This is a horrible tragic event, esp since it's believed by what we know, to have been commited by someone so well respected and successful. But I don't think it's all steroids fault, nor is it Vince McMahon's fault. It's Chris' fault.

Chosen One

anti-depressents and psyche meds

Last night on the news, I heard that Chris Benoit was on Zoloft.

I think these psych pharms have a big control over the media.

Cho, the VA Tech killer was on such meds too.

It's not steroids, it's these psych meda that have a recorded history of violence and suicide effects.

I hope the media states this, that he was on Zoloft more. The news didn't wanna touch it about Cho.

Easier to just say "steroids", I guess.

And why hasn't Anna Nicole's doctor getting the same treatment as Benoit's?

Things just are not right.

Chosen One

More steroids and wrestlers

WWE drug crackdown
    Steroid raid nabs 10 wrestlers

Is this the end of the WWE?

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — World Wrestling Entertainment has suspended 10 of its wrestlers for violations of a policy that tests for steroids and other drugs, the company said Thursday.

Stamford-based WWE says it issued suspension notices based on independent information from the prosecutor’s office in Albany County, N.Y., which has been investigating illegal steroid sales.

Neither the WWE nor the Albany County district attorney’s office would comment on the suspended wrestlers’ identities Thursday. No criminal charges were filed, they said.

Under a WWE wellness policy instituted last year that requires tests for steroids and other drugs, a wrestler faces a 30-day suspension without pay for a first violation, a 60-day suspension for a second violation and firing for a third violation. Performers are tested at least four times per year.

The current WWE drug testing policy was instituted after the November 2005 death of Eddie Guerrero.

“We are very actively working to eradicate the use of steroids and performance enhancing drugs in the WWE,” WWE spokesman Gary Davis said. “Today’s action is part of that effort.”

WWE officials met this month with New York prosecutors investigating illegal steroid sales. Albany County prosecutor P. David Soares’ office has said that pro wrestler Chris Benoit, who killed his family before hanging himself in June, and other WWE wrestlers had been clients of Signature Pharmacy of Orlando, Fla. Investigators say Benoit had a steroid and other drugs in his system at the time.

When Soares’ office began investigating the illegal sale and distribution of controlled substances, he said, his office sought the help of WWE after a number of its wrestlers appeared on customer lists of clinics connected with Signature Pharmacy.

Nine people, including three current or former physicians, have pleaded guilty, most affiliated with Internet and phone-order companies that filled orders for anabolic steroids and growth hormones through Signature and sent drugs to customers around the country, including Albany County.

Signature’s owners have pleaded not guilty.

The Benoit case prompted the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee to ask WWE to turn over any information it has on steroid and drug abuse in pro wrestling. The committee has not yet scheduled a hearing on the case.

The WWE declined to reveal who had been suspended, but did say that policy would be changing. "It has been WWE's practice not to release the names of those who have been suspended, but notice has been sent to all WWE performers that names of anyone who is suspended under the Wellness Policy as of November 1 will be made public," read the press release.

At the centre of the suspensions is the release of a client list from Signature Pharmacy in Orlando, which was raided by Albany County and Florida law enforcement agencies in February. Authorities allege that Signature Pharmacy illegally distributed steroids and other prescription drugs to clients who had not by examined by doctors.

In an article on ESPN.com, Shaun Assael reported the following current WWE wrestlers were named as clients of Signature:

* Dave Bautista
    * Adam "Edge" Copeland (currently on injury leave)
    * Chris "Masters" Mordetsky
    * John "John Morrison" Hennigan
    * Shoichi Funaki
    * Shane Helms

Other current WWE wrestlers on the client list, as reported by the New York Daily News on its website are:

* Randy Orton
    * Charles Haas, Jr.
    * Robert "Booker T" Huffman
    * Mike Bucci, aka Simon Dean
    * Darren "William Regal" Matthews
    * Chavo Guerrero Jr.
    * Ken "Mr. Kennedy" Anderson
    * Anthony Carelli

Also named in the ESPN article as Signature clients were Eddie Guerrero, Brian Adams (a.k.a. Crush) and Benoit.

In today's edition of the New York Daily News, the newspaper reported the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection will hold a hearing in late September into performance-enhancing drugs in professional wrestling.

The chairman of the committee, Illinois Democrat Rep. Bobby Rush, told the Daily News that witness lists have not been compiled. Letters requesting information were sent to WWE, Total Nonstop Action Wrestling and the National Wrestling Alliance.

Through their website, Sports Illustrated released further information on the WWE wrestlers that, as noted in the article, "have received steroids and/or human growth hormone through the drug network."

In the article which was published and updated before 8:00pm Thursday evening, current wrestlers Copeland, Matthews, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Helms, Hennigan, Anderson, Funaki, Haas and Edward Fatu (Umaga), along with Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Adams and recent WWE releasee Sylvain Grenier were named as having received prescriptions.

As reported by SI, prescriptions included a variety of drugs such as anastrozole, somatropin, nandrolone, stanozolol and others in a time period that ran as early as November 2003 and as recently as February 2007. The types of drugs and dates of the prescriptions varied by wrestler.

WWE has about 160 wrestlers. WWE shares closed Thursday at $14.80, down 21 cents.

-- with files from SLAM! Wrestling

Why should it be the end? It's not a sport so it's not like the "titles" will be undermined by widespread steroid use.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I'm still surprised this is "news worthy".

Wrestlers take steroids, pain killers, and narcotics. You would too if you had to work 350 days a year, and your job is half a step down from superhero. The guys who're gettin all moral over this make me laugh.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Animals1Path View Post
    I'm still surprised this is "news worthy".

Wrestlers take steroids, pain killers, and narcotics. You would too if you had to work 350 days a year, and your job is half a step down from superhero. The guys who're gettin all moral over this make me laugh.
    It's newsworthy because steroid use for the purpose that wrestlers and professional sports figures take them is ILLEGAL.

When the kids in this country see what physical gains their "heroes" make taking steroids, they have the mistaken idea that what happens to someone else isn't going to happen to them. The same way someone tries crack or any other drug believes "It won't happen to me, I can handle it and stop when I want".

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    It's newsworthy because steroid use for the purpose that wrestlers and professional sports figures take them is ILLEGAL.

When the kids in this country see what physical gains their "heroes" make taking steroids, they have the mistaken idea that what happens to someone else isn't going to happen to them. The same way someone tries crack or any other drug believes "It won't happen to me, I can handle it and stop when I want".
    It's illegal? Really? Wow, so I guess that does make it newsworthy.

They're illegal because people are afraid of them, not because they're so dangerous. Yes, there are steroids that are, but there's plenty of illegal 'roids that when used properly, with the proper anti-estrogens afterwards, that're pretty well and safe if you don't have any pre-existing conditions. It's not a use issue. It's a control issue. I've seen the write ups for the cycles/stacks of gear those guys were using. They're lucky they're not dead already.

And I refered to them as superheros as more of a ridiculous idea, not as actual heros. Anyone who can't tell it's fake and is above the age of 10 deserves their stupidity.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

i have quite few friends who wrestle professionally. and although outcomes of the matches are decided and sometimes they have things called "spots" when wrtestlers may do there finishing moves or just throws meneuvars. everything else is fair game and thou the ring does have srpings in it it doesn;t do anything when you get thrown on it. its pretty much fair game and they don't let up and sometimes take to far i've seen my friends limping home sometimes because of it.