Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drug Abuse in Pro Wrestling

Several years ago, I think it was either Ken Shamrock (or Dan Severn) who returned to UFC after doing pro wrestling for a while, claiming that he suffered far fewer injuries in actual fights in the octagon than he did in pro wrestling. So even though the matches are "works", the punishment/abuse their bodies take are very real.

not just drugs, prostitutes!!

haul trees, lay sod and paint?

Nov 21, 7:37 PM EST
    Ex-Wrestler Convicted of Sex Trafficking

ATLANTA (AP) -- A federal jury on Wednesday convicted a former pro wrestler known as "Hardbody Harrison" of charges that he kept eight women as sex slaves in his two north Georgia homes.

Harrison Norris Jr. was convicted of charges including aggravated sexual abuse, forced labor, sex trafficking, conspiracy and witness tampering. He was acquitted of all charges involving a ninth woman, but still could get life in prison at sentencing, set for Feb. 28.

Norris, 41, wrestled for the now-defunct World Championship Wrestling organization in the 1990s.

Serving as his own lawyer, he contended that the women willingly lived at his Cartersville homes because they wanted to train as pro wrestlers. He says many of them arrived on drugs and left in the best shape of their lives.

During a two-week trial, prosecutors portrayed Norris as a predator who used his wrestling business to lure poor and vulnerable women into prostitution and forced labor.

"I think the jury's verdict vindicates the rights of the victims who were brave enough to come forward and confront this man who abused them," prosecutor Susan Coppedge said.

Witnesses testified that Norris, a former Army sergeant and veteran of the Persian Gulf War, imposed a strict military structure, with each of the women assigned to a squad overseen by an "enforcer."

One witness testified that Norris beat or threatened them to keep control and that he threatened to throw one through a hotel window when she would not engage in sex with two customers.

In addition to forcing the victims to work as prostitutes, Norris made them work in and around his houses, requiring them to haul trees, lay sod and paint, according to testimony.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene:
    That's pretty messed up. You'd think some guy that's supposed to be so big, tough and strong could haul his own trees and do his own work.

sort of off topic, but check this guy out- http://youtube.com/watch?v=SJqaMdpWWbM

I have always hated pro wrestling, but after seeing that clip I will have to check out the Japanese stuff if I get a chance. Sorry Jimbo, I know you can't see it, but check it out when you can. This guy isn't human.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Jethro:
    I think a lot of the Japanese stuff is more entertaining than a lot of the stuff you see Stateside. They like to do a lot of unusual theme matches that are painful to watch, and very innovative.

Is this our only pro wrestling thread?

It's the only one I could find on a cursory search.

My Japanese is way too rusty to understand what is going on here, but it's awesome.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart