Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: So you say that Bruce Lee sucks.....?

This is just one story

Excerpt from William Cheung's book.
    [William Cheung talking]
    " . . .Out of the corner of my eye I saw Looney yelling yelling and kicking wildly as three gang members dragged him into an alleyway. As I hammered a man in the head while he tried to grab me, I saw Phoenix (Bruce Lee), in a fight against what must have been five men. They had successfully separated him from the crowd. . . "
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

He was a shameless self promoter and despite being a decent fighter he wasn't the "Great Messiah of Martial Arts" that people make him out to be.

But because the ignorant Laowai don't know bull about China or about asian martial arts Bruce said that this was a brilliant new concept that he had invented.

Then he went so far as to divorce his entirely CMA roots from himself and rather than saying that he had adjusted Jun Fan WC techniques to make them more applicable he said "this is not Gong Fu, this is Jeet Kune Do"!

When did any of this happen?

Your a buzzkill.

strike!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond
    Those of you that said that Bruce Lee only had that one famous fight are incorrect. William Cheung was Bruce Lee's best friend and introduced Bruce to Wing Chun by taking him to Yip Man's class in HK. In William Cheung's book, "City of Dragons: Ah Hing Dragon Warrior" he writes about the fights they had. They were teenagers fighting for real against grown men sometimes armed with knive and choppers.
    PR
    I would be careful what people write, in particular about fights against armed assailants. Not that I am doubting the author, but certain amount of self promotion.... I know very little about or have nothing against the author or BL.

anyone ever see bruce and bolo fight on enter the dragon?

this may have been posted in the last 8 pages, but I didn't want to read through it all, it was a quick fight
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Quote Originally Posted by WOW
    I would be careful what people write, in particular about fights against armed assailants. Not that I am doubting the author, but certain amount of self promotion.... I know very little about or have nothing against the author or BL.
    Very true. I'm always careful about what I read. I've studied with four of Yip Man's students over the last 36 years and have heard stories like this from them as well.
    With regards to fighting armed assailants here's a story that made the Hong Kong newspapers. It involved an 18 year old William Cheung fighting against sailors armed with knives and choppers:
    This was taken from Duncan Leung's website site.
    http://members.tripod.com/~Wing_Chun/

. . . . In 1957 another early student of Yip Man, William Cheung, immigrated to
    Australia. On the way there an incident occurred when he locked himself in the
    sailors cabin and fought more than 10 sailors. This got into all the
    newspapers and so Wing Chun was even known in Australia then. About a year
    later, Bruce Lee left for the United States. . . . .
    I also can speak about fighting for you life with fixed bayonets and K Bars in Vietnam. It is possible to survive against armed assailants. I did.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Phil:

Where abouts on that site was the newspaper article?

Cheers.
    "Beware of entrance to a quarrel, but being in, bear't that the opposed may beware of thee."-William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Hatsuyuki
    Phil:

Where abouts on that site was the newspaper article?

Cheers.
    I've heard the same story form some other WC Sifus but have never seen the article. I've been trying to find it in old Hong Kong archive but this happened long ago. There might not be any records available online. I'd first have to know which particular Hong Kong newspaper ran the article.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Wow. . . . . .

I brought this thread back to life, and now it's like a cancer that won't go away.

Lol.