Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So you say that Bruce Lee sucks.....?

Vash! Your Kara-Te cannot compete with my "Hungover man vomits Bile" style...

NOW BOW, PEON!!!
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinPickAxe
    Vash! Your Kara-Te cannot compete with my "Hungover man vomits Bile" style...

NOW BOW, PEON!!!
    Just because I cannot do Drunken Style with Red Label Wine doesn't mean I can't hang with the most inebriated of them all!1!1!!!1

****, I hope this doesn't detract from the more informative posts the JKD sometimes gets . . .
    Last edited by Vash; 10-12-2005 at 08:26 PM.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

JKD is a joke
    Be water my friend.

Why do you say that? I mean I once thought that it was too, but I also used to think that fighting was very different from what really is. It took a few fights with some people to realize that my practice of forms and arranged sparring was leading me nowhere near anything I could use on the street or in the ring.

What do you mean by arranged sparring? Two man sets? Because my Sifu's biggest criticism of JKD went thusly:

Bruce Lee took a bunch of principles that good Sifus had been using for hundreds of years, put his name on them and then said this is not Gong Fu because Gong Fu does not do these things.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Yes, two-man sets. They are not exactly the most useful thing CMA has put out.

I personally don't think that's what Bruce Lee meant. I think they (TCMA) did many things that are effective, I just think that they got stuck in this idea that it would work without actually trying it out i.e. arrogance. Plus the world has changed quite a bit in the last 150 years. Before that China never met with people from other countries, and there was little exchange of ideas. Even up to 10+ yrs ago, we were in a real mess concerning fighting. Although I still think that some people still haven't gotten it yet, we are progressing in terms of fighting, no matter how slowly.

I think what Bruce Lee did is told us that we cannot just sit around and our Sifus/Senseis/Guros/Instructors to just spoon feed us the answers to combat. No, he taught us that we must investigate into many different things, and learn to make it our own and develop it to work for us. You are your greatest teacher, and the less you trust in your own heart and mind, the less that you will be able to progress in not only combat but in your own self-development.

I used to be a Buddhist Monk, I was ordained for a couple years. At first I was very attached to Buddhism, I followed as exactly as I could. By the time I disrobed, I had realized that that was not what true spirituality was and is not about. I discovered that it was about being who I really was, without holding onto who I really was and am. For a lot of being this is hard to understand, and for a while, even though I had realized it for myself, I had not fully understood and still I am learning. There is always room for growth, and if you are always clinging to the "principles that good Sifus had been using for hundreds of years" then you are always going to be stuck. Hopefully you'll have good friends like I did to get you out of that mess, because I have been there and it sucks to be stuck.

I can honestly say that I have never learned a two man set.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Troy
    Yes, two-man sets. They are not exactly the most useful thing CMA has put out.

I personally don't think that's what Bruce Lee meant. I think they (TCMA) did many things that are effective, I just think that they got stuck in this idea that it would work without actually trying it out i.e. arrogance. Plus the world has changed quite a bit in the last 150 years. Before that China never met with people from other countries, and there was little exchange of ideas. Even up to 10+ yrs ago, we were in a real mess concerning fighting. Although I still think that some people still haven't gotten it yet, we are progressing in terms of fighting, no matter how slowly.

I think what Bruce Lee did is told us that we cannot just sit around and our Sifus/Senseis/Guros/Instructors to just spoon feed us the answers to combat. No, he taught us that we must investigate into many different things, and learn to make it our own and develop it to work for us. You are your greatest teacher, and the less you trust in your own heart and mind, the less that you will be able to progress in not only combat but in your own self-development.

I used to be a Buddhist Monk, I was ordained for a couple years. At first I was very attached to Buddhism, I followed as exactly as I could. By the time I disrobed, I had realized that that was not what true spirituality was and is not about. I discovered that it was about being who I really was, without holding onto who I really was and am. For a lot of being this is hard to understand, and for a while, even though I had realized it for myself, I had not fully understood and still I am learning. There is always room for growth, and if you are always clinging to the "principles that good Sifus had been using for hundreds of years" then you are always going to be stuck. Hopefully you'll have good friends like I did to get you out of that mess, because I have been there and it sucks to be stuck.
    Mushashi, the great Japanese swordsman, basically said the same thing. When asked what school of swordsmanship he adhered to, he said that he was his own teacher (paraphrase). Many great minds have thought outside the box, and found out that many discoveries must be made by one self.
    Figure Eight

It'd be cool if Dimmakseminar came in and totally pwnzord this thread.

I definitely don't think Bruce Lee was the first to do that, nor the last. I'm just saying that he was is one of the few that were more well-known. I'm sure there were many to do that, another example are Yiquan people, particularly Wang Xiangzhai.

I must admit that this is the most overw@nked subject ever apart from maybe mma vs trad.
    I used to hate bruce lee, why ?
    1 Because i used to think he thought he was the best.
    2 He never fought anyone to prove it, well not apart from the wong jack man incident which was so debatable it was g-hay.
    3 Because in 90% of his demos he would do a telegraphed flying side kick from here to eternity to show his power.

Until i found this image that i posted up. Which made me think , that he really does think on a tangent about relaxation which is why most people meditate instead.

But the real reason, the HOLY GRAIL OF ALL BRUCE LEE DISCUSSIONS is that yes in this article quoting sammo hung, bruce lee actually stated that he couldn't have ever beaten muhhamed ali.

So i thought maybe bruce wasnt so arrogant and it was just one of those my sifu is better than your sifu things, that his students propagated.

Hi Wong,

The issue is only over-worked for those who have participated in this topic many times in the past. Remember that there are always new members or those who may have missed the discussions relating to Bruce in the past. For them it is a new discussion, not an over worked one!

It is also important to keep in mind that much of Bruce’s public image was for marketing purposes. All of us have a public persona and a private one, more so for actors and performers. The more attention one can generate about oneself the more likely the public will buy whatever you are selling. In Bruce’s case it was his movies.

Got to spar with a student of Master Lee and Master Inosanto back in '75 on Fort Polk. He definetly did not suck.

Thumbs up

I would of loved to spar bruce not because i think im good just so i could feel the speed strength power. To gauge for myself how good he was as a fighter compared to others iv spared thats why i like sparing my sifu so much more grown then me if u understand what im sayin. Its great to know im not as good as i could be and i can keep learning if im not learnin im not growin and not havin fun he i think was a good combatant and i wouldv loved to grow from the experience for my self.

Two reasons a period is a good thing:

1. It means another month without child support

2. It separates sentences into more easily understood components of a paragraph
    Last edited by Vash; 10-25-2005 at 06:53 AM.