Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So you say that Bruce Lee sucks.....?

HAHA @ vash... good one

And about the Ali thing... no one knows, cause they never fought. IMO, Ali would only win with Boxing regulations.
    IMO, Bruce would win, anything goes (as how Bruce always practiced fighting).
    Be water my friend.

Good or bad,
    but maybe people should not talk about someone who passed away.
    This is what I learned.
    Be well, all you guys.

Lee

You really have to try and look at Bruce Lee and his accomplishments from a complete perspective as oppossed to a segmented view. Looking at things from a total perspective, you can say that he definetly influenced many young men around the world in a very positive way, and he also helped to bring some of the chinese culture over to america. What else did he do? Well he helped land the first international film-making deal between America and China(Enter The Dragon).

You can break the man down piece by piece and say that he was just an actor, or just an average martial artist, but the truth is that he was many things. He was a philosopher, a martial artist, a director, a fight coreographer, an actor, a great man and a very intense one at that.

He had a completely different approach to combat in comparison to most sport-fighters and most of the people around here saying that he sucked. He didnt train so he could successfully go into a cage and knock someone out who is the same size as him. He trained so he could successfully incapacitate any man big or small who tried to inflict damage upon him. Deadly self-defense, not sport-fighting. You cant take someone deadly like him, and put him in a boxing ring. Someone was saying that he wouldnt do very well against bigger fellas in the ring. Well with limitations and rules, that may be so. But outside of the ring, in a smash-mouth street fight where absolutely anything goes, Bruce Lee could possibly kill any man on the planet(In his time).

Lee

Bruce Lee was also, of course, an intellectual. As we know, combat was a way of expressing his true being. I think its pretty funny that people say hes "average", or a terrible artist. Have you ladies seen his hand speed? Hand speed is one thing, but to be able to fluenty execute and express combat techniques effectively with such incredible hand speed takes serious skill; skill that apparently Bruce Lee had. Im of course, talking about his Wing Chun skill. Im pretty sure he never got around to completing the third and final form of Wing Chun, but he was definetly better than "average" in that art.

Ive honestly never seen someone as fast as him in my entire life. Mike Tyson was extremely powerful and fast, but his handwork didnt look like it was traveling at light speed like Lee's. I think Vitor Belfort of the UFC in his prime was deadly fast with his boxing skills, but still, not as fast as Lee.

I think Bruce may very well have been smothered by certain fighters in the UFC. Not that he would have even competed since he wasn't about to tarnish his prescious rep. I'm sorry, but I really can't stand all of this bullsh*t about how he was the fastest man ever. You look at Jet Li and Jackie even and the speed at which they perform their moves (at least in the movies) is just as fast if not faster than anything I've ever seen Lee do. And don't give me this, "oh, well they actually had to slow the film down," crud. The only reason Lee seemed so great to so many people is because just happened to be the first kung fu practitioner to come out in a big way with in the movies.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Don't Think !!! Feel....

Well, no one to Bruce's defence?

Sad....

One thing is for sure, if it wasn't for Bruce Lee, non of the martial arts would be as popuplar today and non of you would talk KF/MA. We be all in a westling or judo forum............. Who can tell......

One thing about lee being fast i used to think so too, i mean really he was fast, but afterwards i found out that people who used to be on the set with him would say how spastic it would get because lee would maybe shoot the same scene 80 - 120 times just so that he would get the punch looking so perfect and the movement full speed.
    In reality you only get one go, even if boards dont hit back, ppl dont wait for 100 takes

Bruce Lee has been a huge influence to me as a martial artist and a person but lets keep one thing in mind. Real fighters fight. Ali was a fighter. He was a fighter ever since he was a kid. He had great skills and worked harder than anyone else. He tested himself on the world stage and came out victorious many many times. He won a gold medal and he was the heavy weight champion of the world- twice.

Yes, Bruce Lee was a great man for many different reasons but put him in a ring with Ali and he gets destroyed.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Greetings..

Bruce Lee made some great flicks and raised the consciousness of wannabes all over the world.. beyond that its pretty much hearsay or prejudiced opinions.. i'll wager that any of us would be pleased to enjoy the skills and respect Mr. Lee earned.. some people say they're tired of hearing how great he was and they're right, they're tired..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Let's debate this. Lets talk of Lee's virtuosity as a fighter, his skill at dynamic self-expression, the belt he used to tie his trousers up with. Let's talk arrogance, his inability to lift dramatic amounts of weight or that wife of his. Let's cuss him till the cows come home and sing our praises of his birth coinciding with the rising of the eastern sun of gung fu, in the western world. let's call him a chump, a punk a no hold's wannabee. Let's speak of the ethic of martial skill over franchised schools or ponder the effect of water permeating rocks or fingers pointing at each other rather than toward the moon. let's find boards that hit back or resurrect the classical mess. Lets talk Jesse Glover, Fook Yeung, Wong Shong Leung. In fact let's steal from Bosnian statues or let's desecrate Brandon's grave. Let's take his image and jab at it in reverence. Let's forget the chain punch, the close and functional fitness. let's close our mind to the inner dialogue that whispers weakness and shout at the top of our typing lungs. let's talk about how he was half the man that 'so and so' is, who is eight-tenths the man you will never be. let's pick at his bones, his rotten fresh and take in the aroma of cadavers decades old. let's forget and close the book and find the next victim.

then when the shouting is done and the dust settles and the termites crawl away... leave me alone to say one thing... he is still in our minds and hearts.

Ali the greatest!!!

Yes, Bruce Lee was a great man for many different reasons but put him in a ring with Ali and he gets destroyed.

Well Ali is the greatest, in is prime he can destroy anyone (past, present and future) in the ring.

Let me ask you this. Do you think an Ali in his prime would have made it to the top in the UFC, K-1, or Pride? There's alot to consider here. Like the fact that these fights are almost no holds barred competitions where fighters clinch, go to the ground and usually stay there going for submissions or elbowing their way to victory. Boxing on the other hand, is full of rules and regulations.

In my opinion, Ali would've been schooled in any one of those other venues. He might have won some of the bouts, but as soon as somebody like Tito got him on the ground, or Remy Bonjasky or Ken Shamrock started going to work with the kicks, Ali would've been ass out.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Ummm. . . . . . Tyson in his pride would have demolished Ali. I'm sorry, but Tyson has so much power, plus his training methods were even better than Ali's.

Ali was an AMAZIN fighter, but Tyson was just a monster.

I almost cant believe I'm responding to this again. But there are a few comments that have been made I think should be responded to.
    First Infrazael. Iron Mike Tyson was great in his early years, but Ali fought and beet, Big George Forman ,and I think Forman was much stronger and hit harder than Tyson.

Siu Lum Fighter, all those K1...no holds barred competition fighters are Young tough thugs, Those kind of men have always been around,I dont think they are anything special, except they are willing to fight for money.and at this time they are somewhat a novelty, as time passes we will see how they stack up.
    What set Bruce Lee and Ali, and some others, apart from the mass's is they excelled at what they did beyond all others at there time.
    How would they do against some of today's fighters? who knows... we will never really know. But I can tell you on Bruce Lee's behave, the men that he tough, his stile of fighting to, are still today some of the best fighters in the world, If nothing else, that should be a pointer to his greatness.
    Bruce Lee had the abilities to teach and do things that others,today can not do.
    I would suggest to you, quite trying to knock down his image. Isn't it funny that more than 30 years after his death he is still one of the most known martial artiest in the world.Ide suggest to you that in its self is a true test of his greatness.( to live beyone your own death)

C.A.G.
    C.A.G.

Nicely said once again

Totally agreed.

Tyson was intimidating, powerful, super fast. But one weakness being he is still human and still can be hurt. It was "Bone Crusher Smith" and expose this weakness, although Tyson won but Smith landed some puches and Tyson was hurt. He wasn't as invincible as I first imagined. And Ali, would have taken Tyson. Ali has higher EQ, very intellegent, good tactics, highly skillful and fast, can punch and also take punches.

But, out of the ring, who can tell?? Then Ali was verbally very hard to beat and Bruce was no walk over.

They were both very persuasive and strong in their expressions outside the ring/movies.