Thread: Florida BJJ

Florida BJJ

Anyone know of these guys? Or anyone in Central Florida, Brevard county area (Titusville, Orland, Melbourne, Cocoa Beach, etc.)

http://www.marciosimas.com/

http://www.brevardmma.com/home.php

Hell, maybe even just somebody that teaches...don't have to be a gym. Even just some wrestler that wouldn't mind throwing around and pounding a beer or something afterwards....I just need a training partner! And I need to work my ground some more...I just picked BJJ cuz they don't mind incorporated my striking background it seems
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 06-28-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Removed broken link

Gracie Barra is always a sure bet, top level Sport BJJ.
    The second link didn't seem to work for me.
    And the last one is a Carlson Gracie BB and you will get good MMA from that "lineage".

Did you say lineage?

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Did you say lineage?

Lineage matter in BJJ, its like pedigree !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Gracie Barra is always a sure bet, top level Sport BJJ.
    The second link didn't seem to work for me.
    And the last one is a Carlson Gracie BB and you will get good MMA from that "lineage".
    Thanks man. Here is the one concern for me though. And its one of the reasons I originally favored more JJJ training (well that and the fact that, I uhhh lived in Japan). I have spent the last 8 years in a (Stand Up) striking art. Yeah its got Chi'Na and all that but I'm not good enough at those really so I leave it at striking art. My concern going into a BJJ gym with a heavy MMA base is that will the trainers be able to incorporate that past into the training?

Now don't get this wrong. I'm not saying that MMA striking is bad. I think MT is pretty kick @$$ and I like things they do. As with boxing and all that. But like I said, I want to use the things I've already been taught for my striking. That doesn't mean if something I see won't get added. Cuz if it works then I want to have it too.

Now, on one hand I get the voice in my head telling me the simple solution. "If my kung fu training is good enough to be used then I should be able to pull it out regardless of what they are teaching me that might be MT/boxing based." But at the same time, I just want to know that the teacher would be able to see things that I try to pull out and be able to blend that into the ground stuff (which more what I'm after rather than adding in MT/boxing and all that). My hands are pretty full with sifting through my current material.

I don't know if I'm explaining what I'm looking for real well...but you come from a big background in different stuff and aren't you praciticing Hung Gar now? So I'm hoping you kinda get where I'm coming from....

Well...I guess there is only one real way to find out. Guess I'll give em a call tomorrow and find out when I can go in and hit the mats. It is always kinda fun when you go to a new school for the first time. You get to be a beginner again =)
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 06-28-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Here's a suggestion.

Don't go in there expecting them to work around your skills.

Go to class, keep your mouth shut, and learn what they have to teach.

Marcio's is good. I think Seth Petrocelli (TUF season 2) opened his own place in east Orlando. Din Thomas is on the west side of town (think he's still there, haven't kept up wth things).

I'm out of town on a job but I'll try to put you in touch with some guys I know training BJJ locally. I haven't jumped into it myself yet but I have some friends who are training.

Where are you right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Marcio's is good. I think Seth Petrocelli (TUF season 2) opened his own place in east Orlando. Din Thomas is on the west side of town (think he's still there, haven't kept up wth things).

I'm out of town on a job but I'll try to put you in touch with some guys I know training BJJ locally. I haven't jumped into it myself yet but I have some friends who are training.

Where are you right now?
    Titusville at the moment. I've only been back here for a couple months now, but in the 5 years I've been gone this town has gone to the dumps. There was a time when there was like 5 MA schools. Now there is just 1 dedicated MA school and a guy that teaches Goju out of a ballet school. There used to be a couple gyms. I remember when Jim Dugan had Hacksaw's and all the WWF/WCW guys would be there lifting. All that stuff is gone now...

I just hope that when I get in there and get accustomed to how to do things and get to know some people the military doesn't make me pack up and head somewhere else. That seems to be my luck lately.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Here's a suggestion.

What he said.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Now don't get this wrong. I'm not saying that MMA striking is bad. I think MT is pretty kick @$$ and I like things they do. As with boxing and all that. But like I said, I want to use the things I've already been taught for my striking. That doesn't mean if something I see won't get added. Cuz if it works then I want to have it too.

Well...I guess there is only one real way to find out. Guess I'll give em a call tomorrow and find out when I can go in and hit the mats. It is always kinda fun when you go to a new school for the first time. You get to be a beginner again =)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Here's a suggestion.

MK pretty much has it. Just like any other MA class, you go by what they have to teach. If you wanna add in some of the tools you acquired along the way, I would suggest to practice them in your off time, and once you get well-established, you can try SLOWLY incorporating some of it into your sparring sessions. Get a good base before you add anything else in. The reason boxing/MT is used is because they are effective striking methods in which one can gain proficiency in a relatively quick fashion. You'll see that in professional venues more because when you're fighting for money, time is premium. They can't afford to adopt "exotic" methods just for the heck of it. That's where being an amateur has its advantages. We* get to have more fun

*I'll probably be doing MMA once I get my wife and I outta this apartment and into a home.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

SoCo,

What you already know will "naturally" come out in your MMA training, you can tel them about so they are aware of your "predispositions", but it won't matter that much.

The competition ruleset of MMA dictates the "look" and techniques favoured by the vast majority of MMA coaches.

Just enjoy the experience.

Yeah I had to hear it

Thanks for the tips. You know a lot of people might be a bit taken off by MK at this point but I know blunt is just his style so its all good I probably needed to hear (or read) it anyways. So yeah suggestion noted, thanks for the advice.

Ronin: I see what you're saying. Like I said the voice in my head was already calling me dumb for thinkin it, if its going to work its going to work..if not then its better I figure it out there. I don't care what my KF "looks" like anyways. It already doesn't look like KF as is...anyways punch, kick, elbow whatever...if it hits and does hurt that's all that matters. I was more concerned with other things, like incorporating bridging, centerline dominance...just conceptual stuff, not really a specific technique. I KNOW one thing is going to be a pain for me. I got this habit from my mantis training where I tend to grab and cling onto incoming striking limbs and then I fail miserably at a trap/Chi'Na It wasn't so bad if the opponent wasn't going to grapple, but it gets me into trouble if they like to clinch. I hope training here will help me break it. I figure I get slammed on my head enough I'll either learn to stop screwing up or I'll forget the technique to begin with

I'm going to try to check em both out. They are both pretty far from where I live though which does kinda suck. Marcio's offers morning classes which would be freakin sweet for my schedule and would make it not such a rush for the commute. I just cringe at Orlando traffic. On the other hand the Nunes/Dutra gym would be a lot easier to get to. Its still far but I-95 goes pretty much the whole trip so it would definitely help. But they only offer evening classes going by the website. Either way, its training and its going to be fun. And it wouldn't be the first time I've told work to blow on it for my MA.

Ronin if you don't mind I'll ask you a couple things PM, no sense in dragging out this thread.

I'm already excited! Its going to be sweet driving to class knowing that everyday you are going to get to spar or roll with people. I can horse stance on my own time. When I go to class I want real training. Anyways thanks for the advice guys.

PM is fine.

And Kung fu is NOT suppose to look like anything other than what you train it to look like.
    People forget that its the principles that make a system, not the techniques or even what it looks like since different people within a given system will have and shoudl have, their own look to it.