Thread: Hung surname--can any Hung Ga people comment?

Hybrid View

Gene,

Can you verify if what I heard was true? I either read or was told by someone recently that the Chinese government enacted a rule that the order of Chinese names is to now be reversed???

So for example..GM Leung Shum would be GM Shum Leung? Or GM Chan Poi would now be referred to as GM Poi Chan?

Can you confirm or deny this? It seems rather unusual. Thank you.

EM

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I haven't heard about orders being reversed, but I did hear that they will be adding new surnames, so people will have names like Wong Rik-Fei-Hung.
    (ok, maybe not with Rik) using four names rather thhan two-or three. This they feel will make things easier due to the large population and the comonality of their names.

Yes,

My sirname is "Dang He Kik A-s"..the slight Korean sounding tone is just a different dialect

Quote Originally Posted by Erasmus Mingatt View Post
    Yes,

My sirname is "Dang He Kik A-s"..the slight Korean sounding tone is just a different dialect
    That was bad. That was very bad.

Unhappy

It's pretty sad to see that Chinese lost much of it's heritage including the naming convention. We have a traditional system that used to be quite effective in solving that problem. Chinese likes, or at least used to, to name things in descending order the higher the "power" the first to appear. This is why family name (the household that you belongs to) comes first. Then you are given a one or two character name known only to family and inner circle friends. This first name will not be used in society. When you are out in society (around 20 years old) you will be using the second name which often is like an extention of your first name. If you have a trade or a profession, you will be using your professional name or title, which could be alias related your work. If you belong to other religious or interest groups, you would be given a name by those organization. For example: General Yue Fei

Yue is family name
    Fei (to fly) is first name
    Peng Ju (airborn like the great eagle) is the second name.
    Title is Jiang Jun (General), posthumous title Wu Mu Wang (roughly translated as the king of martial gentility)

This will be documented in the household as well as in the imperial court (because of his merits as a general).

For identification purposes, each person supposedly would have personal seal and/or a seal given by your office.

So any signed document would have your signature, your personal seal and/or your office's seal.

That's how it's done in the old days but now China is so regress that well... There are also talks of abolishing Chinese medicines, Dragon as a symbol and all sort of silly "academic" proposals.

Anyway, this goes to show when a people forgot where they came from, all things go haywire regardless how old the civilization is.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    That's how it's done in the old days but now China is so regress that well... There are also talks of abolishing Chinese medicines, Dragon as a symbol and all sort of silly "academic" proposals.

Anyway, this goes to show when a people forgot where they came from, all things go haywire regardless how old the civilization is.

Mantis108
    and you wonder why we've sunken so deep

read these posts http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=47022