Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Fa Yi

Hung Fa Yi

I recently finished reading the book "Mastering Kung Fu" of the Hung Fa Yi system. Personally i found it to be a great book and it was quite an aye opener for me historically and technically. Apart from this, does anybody know is there any other book or video from this branch? Thanks

Did you say video?

Ha! Ha!

(private joke)
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 06-30-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Why not search Amazon ? if one exists, its bound to be there...

Funny - YongChun a HFY practitioner, is a man of his word and just sent me this book after another thread from earlier in the month....which i appreciate

Although i didnt perscribe to much of the material about the history, thier teaching method and application (the little they reveal) i found interesting.

As far as VT goes... No new material, just different packaging.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Apart from this, does anybody know is there any other book or video from this branch?
    Dude, learn how to search and look through old threads. You'll find all you ever needed to know and more than you ever wanted to know, plus some highly entertaining exchanges of insults.

Actually, you'll probably have started another of the latter with your thread
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by r4cy View Post
    I recently finished reading the book "Mastering Kung Fu" of the Hung Fa Yi system. Personally i found it to be a great book and it was quite an aye opener for me historically and technically. Apart from this, does anybody know is there any other book or video from this branch? Thanks
    Hello,

Good to hear you enjoyed the book and found it useful. I also feel there is a great amount of information in this book, which as I understand, is to be an intorduction to the system.

At the moment, this is the only book written about HFY. And to date, there are no videos. I believe future books are either already in the works, or will be coming out sometime. I do know there have been articles written in several magazines, and more informations/articles on the main website: http://www.hungfakwoon.com/
    And some forums you can find a lot more information: http://www.hfy108.com/

As far as videos: There are none at this time. To my understanding, since HFY has only come out to the public recently in the last 10 years, the primary focus of the HFY headquarters is teaching the art to it's students and setting up a way to preserve the system. There are a few threads here that cover the topic of 'HFY videos'. Again, this is just my understanding as a student on the subject/

If you are interested in seeing more, there are many school in areas around the country. A trip to one of the scools or clubs, or catching a workshop/seminar would be a great way to get some hands-on first-hand experience! Where abouts do you live?

I hope this helps, and look forward to further dialog with you!

Regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Is Gee writing these books or are others?

T,

Do you mean MKF, or any future books that are either in the works or planned for?
    If you are referring to anything new, I really don't know. I would assume either the previous writters of MFK, or someone else, but I am pretty sure that GM Garrett Gee approves and oversees anything written involving HFY and it's safe to assume he would be one of the authors.

If you mean MKF, then there are three authors: Garrett Gee, Benny Meng, and Richard Loewenhagen

haha, not sure if I should ask, but - why do you ask?

Jonathan

As Jonathan mentioned about the topic of videos, here’s something else to add to the discussion:

When it comes to the HFY system, we really have a different approach than what you tend to see in the martial arts community and a different mindset about how to teach, present, and preserve our family’s traditions.

For example, look at Chi Sau. Wing Chun is known for having Taan, Bong, Fuk in Chi Sau but HFY Chi Sau is more than just a platform and sequence for teaching Taan, Bong, Fuk and certain reactions to attack the other person. Instead, we look at Taan, Bong, Fuk as just one expression of structure in time and space - and there is also energy cultivation coming from the muscles, tendons, and bones as well as application based on Deui Ying and Jeui Ying… and that’s only one season in the nature of Chi Sau training. Plus we have Kiu Sau Chi Sau, Chi Kiu Chi Sau, and Ji N Kiu Chi Sau… each with their own timeframes, natures, and seasons. The system is preserved and communicated through an approach called Hau Chyun San Sau which maintains a tradition of direct interaction.

This isn’t to say that putting videos out to the general public is a good idea or a bad idea. Instead, we see videos as an illusion because the learning process of HFY is a dynamic, living approach - when you try to capture something alive, you end up with something dead, instead.

So if you really want to understand what HFY has to say about things, you have to put yourself into actual, direct experience instead of looking from the outside and trying to understand. Again, this isn’t to say that what others do is wrong; it’s just that what we do is what we do.

Makes sense? To get more information, you can check out hfy108.com.

Sincerely,
    Jeremy R.

Quote Originally Posted by passing_through View Post
    As Jonathan mentioned about the topic of videos, here’s something else to add to the discussion:

When it comes to the HFY system, we really have a different approach than what you tend to see in the martial arts community and a different mindset about how to teach, present, and preserve our family’s traditions.

For example, look at Chi Sau. Wing Chun is known for having Taan, Bong, Fuk in Chi Sau but HFY Chi Sau is more than just a platform and sequence for teaching Taan, Bong, Fuk and certain reactions to attack the other person. Instead, we look at Taan, Bong, Fuk as just one expression of structure in time and space - and there is also energy cultivation coming from the muscles, tendons, and bones as well as application based on Deui Ying and Jeui Ying… and that’s only one season in the nature of Chi Sau training. Plus we have Kiu Sau Chi Sau, Chi Kiu Chi Sau, and Ji N Kiu Chi Sau… each with their own timeframes, natures, and seasons. The system is preserved and communicated through an approach called Hau Chyun San Sau which maintains a tradition of direct interaction.

This isn’t to say that putting videos out to the general public is a good idea or a bad idea. Instead, we see videos as an illusion because the learning process of HFY is a dynamic, living approach - when you try to capture something alive, you end up with something dead, instead.

So if you really want to understand what HFY has to say about things, you have to put yourself into actual, direct experience instead of looking from the outside and trying to understand. Again, this isn’t to say that what others do is wrong; it’s just that what we do is what we do.

Makes sense? To get more information, you can check out hfy108.com.

Sincerely,
    Jeremy R.
    Then why write books or articles? Wouldn't they also be "an illusion" from your (HFY) perspective? If I watched a seminar and didn't participate (let's say I was injured), would that be "an illusion" too? If not, how is that different than watching a video?

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Then why write books or articles? Wouldn't they also be "an illusion" from your (HFY) perspective? If I watched a seminar and didn't participate (let's say I was injured), would that be "an illusion" too? If not, how is that different than watching a video?
    IMO, one of the differences is the experience. You go to a seminar, even if you don't participate, you can still ask questions. The experience is 'alive'. It can grow and evolve depending on the energy from the participants (or, in the case of the injured, those present). A video is not the same. If you ask your DVD player a question on something you are watching, you get no further explanation.

I guess my question to you regarding books/articles vs. videos - what does one look to gain from each? As I understand, the books and articles aren't designed to teach per say, they are a medium to share a glimps into the system. Sure, a video could do that too. But if a video wasn't designed as instructional but more of an introduction, some might say 'oh that's just marketing' anyway. So would there really be any more benifit from an intro video vs. an article/book?

Besides, wouldn't first-hand experience be much more valuble? (like attending a seminar)

Jonathan

Besides, wouldn't first-hand experience be much more valuble? (like attending a seminar)
    Ah, but you can't replay a seminar to go over what you missed the first time, freeze frame it, vary the speed, etc.

If you ask your DVD player a question on something you are watching, you get no further explanation.
    Sometimes you can get an answer by watching several times. And sometimes you can't get your questions answered at seminars either,

What if you videotape a seminar? Is that "alive" or "dead"? why or why not?

some might say 'oh that's just marketing' anyway.
    On one of the other threads MKF was explained by Savi as primarily a piece of marketing, which matches my own evaluation.

SBG: You must train "alive"; Functional JKD 1,2,3 videos explain and demonstrate the concept of aliveness.

HFY: Videos are not "alive" but dead.

Explain rthis paradox, using words of as many syllables as you like.

You guys can do what you want, but the hifalutin stuff you come out with to justify your actions is just weird.

Why not just say, "BECAUSE WE DON'T ******* WANT TO!" I'd respect that.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

On one of the other threads MKF was explained by Savi as primarily a piece of marketing, which matches my own evaluation.
    Marketing = METHOD Marketing MKF was for the sake of aiding in the preservation and documentation of the HFY lineage. Let's not get into this again... Dude, learn how to search and look through old threads. Reasons have been provided already.
    Anerlich, personally I don't give a rat's @ss about your respect for me or HFY members. I doubt anyone in the HFY family was asking for your respect.

If members of the HFY family want to provide a reason, then that's NOT your choice. We provide a reason because it is more beneficial to everyone to know why rather than just what. If you can't respect that, so what? I doubt anyone from HFY is looking to you for anything.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    IMO, one of the differences is the experience. You go to a seminar, even if you don't participate, you can still ask questions. The experience is 'alive'. It can grow and evolve depending on the energy from the participants (or, in the case of the injured, those present). A video is not the same. If you ask your DVD player a question on something you are watching, you get no further explanation.

I guess my question to you regarding books/articles vs. videos - what does one look to gain from each? As I understand, the books and articles aren't designed to teach per say, they are a medium to share a glimps into the system. Sure, a video could do that too. But if a video wasn't designed as instructional but more of an introduction, some might say 'oh that's just marketing' anyway. So would there really be any more benifit from an intro video vs. an article/book?

Jonathan
    You seem to be relying on a distinction between something being merely informative versus it being solely instructuctional -- and I think this distinction is much less clear than you propose. But I won't argue the point.

In any event, couldn't a video or DVD be informative and not instructional in nature (or design)? For example, it could show the forms being performed. Or show some HFY drills and how they apply to HFY theory. In other words, give people an overview of the training without being instructional. Couldn't you show HFY practitioners in action - fighting/sparring? It would seem to be that a video/DVD would be much more informative, since we could see "action", than simply reading words and looking at pictures.

anerlich,
    Duende answered that here

it's just against our lineage's established tradition of teaching methods and our GM to make vids. Plain and simple.
    And until that changes, you will not be seeing HFY videos made or released to the public.

Matt
    Hung Fa Kwoon of Arizona
    People often choose the comfort of known misery
    to the discomfort of unfamiliar uncertainty -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    You seem to be relying on a distinction between something being merely informative versus it being solely instructuctional -- and I think this distinction is much less clear than you propose. But I won't argue the point.

In any event, couldn't a video or DVD be informative and not instructional in nature (or design)? For example, it could show the forms being performed. Or show some HFY drills and how they apply to HFY theory. In other words, give people an overview of the training without being instructional. Couldn't you show HFY practitioners in action - fighting/sparring? It would seem to be that a video/DVD would be much more informative, since we could see "action", than simply reading words and looking at pictures.
    T,

To answer quite simply, as I said before - wouldn't a hands-on face-to-face experience be worth much more?

To answer less simply:
    Yes, a video could do those things - it realy depends on the intent. But then, that's all just surface level infromation without the hands-on real-world experience. IMO, the books/articles handle this well. And I could see how you might feel a video is much more informative that a book if you are looking at moving action vs. still photographs. But remember, along with the pictures comes written words in those articles that expains a LOT. So, it depends on the perspective to say what's more informative - video or written words w/pictures.

And sure, I agree, an article couldn't capture sparring. But really, why does HFY have to provide these things (videos of instruction and/or sparring) if they are not thier preferred methods of training? Again, I ask, wouldn't hands-on instruction, or even sparring, be a better demonstration if it was in person?

Besides, as has already been pointed out here, hasn't this whole video thing been beaten to death already? This whole thread started because of the interest the book built up - what's wrong with that? My advice to the original poster was to check it out for themselves. IMO, a book (or video) can only provide so much - nothing compares to hands-on real-world experience.

Jonathan