Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Fa Yi

If so, would you even be interested in them?
    'twould be a value for money issue.

I did buy MKF, METHOD marketing or no.

which is more delicious - sushi or shumai?
    From this POV so far, SBG. I bought Spring Camp 2006 just last week. It's a video of various seminars. Hey, that gives me an idea ...

If you don’t know the difference between watching a video and attending a seminar while injured, I fail to see how anything I attempt to communicate can help.
    Humour me. If I sat there and watched while injured (would I get a discount?), and watched a vid of the seminar, what would be different? The ability to ask questions about the material? But I could do that on the HFY108 forum after, surely. Couldn't I?

Yeah, it's been done to death. But it's amusing to watch you guys come up with new and varied mental contortions to justify something we all agree you don't have to justify.

Roger Wilco, over and out ...
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    I have no problem with that position as an explanation for why HFY does not have videos (Gee is our leader and he says no vids). Simple and straight-forward.
    Good. Because my fallback position would be to explain that certain aborigine tribes in New Guinea believe that a photograph captures your soul. Video of course would capture your soul in motion. And if that happens, who is going to let it out?

These are things to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Good. Because my fallback position would be to explain that certain aborigine tribes in New Guinea believe that a photograph captures your soul. Video of course would capture your soul in motion. And if that happens, who is going to let it out?

These are things to ponder.

***GOD, this is hilarious!!!

(I'm lovin' this thread.)

Vic, I'm sure he was joking. Terence had already stated the obvious, and there would be no need for the alleged fallback position.

Wayfaring, very witty.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    T,

I'm not mad about anything. I'm not 'attacking' you - simply, you come off as a troll at times. My opinion, you don't like it, oh well.
    I don't think you know the common definition of "troll".

You were also addressing me and talking directly to me, so it's not just your issue with Jeremy.
    I just asked you if more books were coming out. I was going to leave the video debate alone until Jeremy took it upon himself to enlighten us with his pseudo-Zen "video is an illusion" position.

Simply, as you said yourself, GM Gee does not want videos made. That's been said before, and more than once. If someone else wants to add to it, that's thier porragative. In any case, it does seem you have a problem with videos not being made, regardless the reasons given (not just from this thread, but some other onese as well where this was discussed)
    Yeah, that was said before and if the HFY guys left it at that everything would be fine and dandy. But when people start giving silly-ass reasons, like video is an illusion, it piques my interest and makes me wonder why they are saying something so inane. Do they believe we are so stupid as to buy that explanation (and I wonder too if other HFY people buy it)?

Anyway, I think the issue has been addressed enough, don't you? Who knows, maybe one day videos will be made. If so, would you even be interested in them?

Jonathan
    Oh, it's been addressed. If videos were made that showed someone actually doing WCK, actually fighting with HFY, and actually able to do the things they talk about, against decent level fighters when pressed at 100%, yeah I'd be interested.

No vids at this time!

Maybe I can help here.
    We do not have video available at this time. (for what ever reason)It is not our current focus. If this changes we let everyone know.
    Thanks for the interest !

does this work for you?

Take care,
    Chango

Thumbs down HFY Video?

Here we go again! Can we move pass this video/no video topic, Please?

We all know there is no agreement on this, so why can't we just let it go and focus on Wing Chun?

Yeah, forget the video.

(But a very enjoyable thread nonetheless).

Hey Andy

answer'd your PM -log in to check it-

Quote Originally Posted by r4cy View Post
    I recently finished reading the book "Mastering Kung Fu" of the Hung Fa Yi system. Personally i found it to be a great book and it was quite an aye opener for me historically and technically. Apart from this, does anybody know is there any other book or video from this branch? Thanks
    Hello again! I am curious, anything in particular you liked about the book, or any questions about the book or HFY in general?

Jonathan

Well, first of all this is the first time I ever hear about something at least realistic from the story of wing chun. I am just tired of hearing how many styles have the same story behind them. Monkey, Crane, Snake, even Duck!!! The monk medidates at some place private and all the sudden the monk sees this particular animal fighting another and voilá!!!!Kung Fu happens. This book helped me treasure even more the system I practice, once I got to know how many people was involved and how many people died and why, and how wing chun was the result of all those struggles and knowledge of so many years. Really amazing. Apart from that, the theorical part was really informative, and helped me make a more profound analysis of my "Battlefield" and "Structure". The centerline, the two points of reference of distance, the three points of height, chambers.... the five yin and yang lines....anyway, all that helped me to visualize and contemplate my body and structure in a whole other way. It is sad, that the book wasn't profound in examples of all these lines and points...I found it a little jive at that... but apart from that ....Well it explained stuff in a way nobody ever did in my years of practice. It is good to know that some things I figured out myself in my studies goes accord with what the book teaches. So it was a nice experience. A book on drills for each part of the theories would be really good.... or a DVD heheheh Even if it is only an illusion.
    Last edited by r4cy; 07-12-2007 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r4cy View Post
    Well, first of all this is the first time I ever hear about something at least realistic from the story of wing chun. I am just tired of hearing how many styles have the same story behind them. Monkey, Crane, Snake, even Duck!!! The monk medidates at some place private and all the sudden the monk sees this particular animal fighting another and voilá!!!!Kung Fu happens.
    Realistic? Perhaps. But that doesn't make it true.

The origin stories, whether Ng Mui or the snake/crane fight or whatever are not IMO meant to be taken literally -- they are allegories. And so are trying to convey something about the method beyond the story itself.

This book helped me treasure even more the system I practice, once I got to know how many people was involved and how many people died and why, and how wing chun was the result of all those struggles and knowledge of so many years. Really amazing.
    So you are saying that a book that has an uproven orgin story helped you "treasure" "the system" (I LOL when people call it that, btw)? Interesting.

Apart from that, the theorical part was really informative, and helped me make a more profound analysis of my "Battlefield" and "Structure". The centerline, the two points of reference of distance, the three points of height, chambers.... the five yin and yang lines....anyway, all that helped me to visualize and contemplate my body and structure in a whole other way. It is sad, that the book wasn't profound in examples of all these lines and points...I found it a little jive at that... but apart from that ....Well it explained stuff in a way nobody ever did in my years of practice.
    Has this "theory" made you a better fighter? That's the only thing that matters.

It is good to know that some things I figured out myself in my studies goes accord with what the book teaches. So it was a nice experience. A book on drills for each part of the theories would be really good.... or a DVD heheheh Even if it is only an illusion.
    My view is that until I see that a person can really do the things they talk about doing in fighting at 100% and against someone with decent skills/attributes (and not someone from their own camp), I'm extremely skeptical in accepting their theory, claims, etc. This doesn't apply to just HFY. There are now a great number of books, videos, etc. about WCK on the market.

The benchmark for this is IMO Mario Sperry's Vale Tudo 1 series, where he breaks the fight down into strategic steps, shows you waht to do at each step, how to train it, how it leads into the next step, etc. and then puts it all together. Then he shows footage of his actual fights, and he's doing in fighting exactly what he is teaching on the tapes. What he teaches (talks about), how he trains, and how he fights corresponds 1 to 1 to 1. I'm not suggesting we all fight like Mario, or that his way is best -- just that he does what he talks about doing. If he shows a technique, he actually uses it in fighting. As the Dog Brothers say, "if you see it taught, you see it fought." In my view if someone can't do that, they shouldn't be writing books or making videos. And if they can do it, there is no reason they should be unwilling to demonstrate that they can. Because that is the only way to know what is BS and what is not. It can sound profound, it can make "sense", it can be demonstrated, it can be done in chi sao, etc. and still collapse under the pressure of fighting. So, if you don't see it fought, don't believe it.

TN - we get it already

TN - you sound like a broken record. We get it. We get your point. It is a valid point. How about some fresh thoughts? And by the way, for many of us - being able to fight is not all that matters. Do you get that point? Is that a valid point? Finally, let's see some video of you walking your own talk. After all, isn't you who says the walk is all that matters?

"let's see some video of you walking your own talk. After all, isn't you who says the walk is all that matters?"

***You'll never see such a video. That's the biggest joke of all about this guy.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 07-13-2007 at 06:13 AM.

What I don't get about Terence is why he <seems to> align himself with WCK at all..

From his numerous writings I see that Terence doesn't think the founders of WCK knew jack schit about fighting, and that goes for most all CMA and everyone's lineage..

He doesn't seem to follow much if any of the traditional WCK training, including form work; he doesn't seem to recognize any real differences between kick boxing/boxing/MT/WCK in terms of fighting technique; He is constantly holding up examples of those who actually fight well, but are never WCK folks; He states that unless you prove you can fight and fight well against someone who has 'proven skills' then what you say is meaningless in the first place, yet he provides no proof, nor is there any evidence of, him living up to his own 'walk the walk' standards..

So, why in the world is Terence involved in and constantly pontificating on WCK at all?
    Last edited by YungChun; 07-13-2007 at 06:54 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu