Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can adults learn Tongzigong?

Can adults learn Tongzigong?

Is that even possible? I look at the kids on youtube doing this, and my jaw drops. What are the limits to an adults flexibility? Is it possible for someone past their teen-years to learn a style like that?

I wish I was flexible

why? its a waste of time. i suppose if you wanted a career in the circus or were into some kind of kinky sex positions it would be worth while...

I remember hearing about this training. They start it with children for a reason. They're already flexible, and you can maintain that incredible flexibility later in life.

I'm sure some adults could do it, but it would probably take 10 times the amount of time. I've seen a yoga practitioner or two who can do that, and began as an adult.

I figure why do it as an adult? Might as well stress your strengths. Flexibility is fine, but working for that rubber-man flexibility isn't necessary.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 07-01-2007 at 12:41 PM.

It may not be necessary but Ive always been fascinated with extreme flexibility.

I have taken a few yoga classes and have enjoyed them, but I never really stuck with it. I think the reason for this is that I never found a teacher that I felt I could relate to or study under for a long period of time, like my martial arts instructor currently. Most of the yoga schools around here are run by little old ladies, with classes filled with more little old ladies.

Don't get me wrong, I think little old ladies are fine and dandy, but they smell bad .

In all truth, most of the yoga schools just say "Ok, stretch, breath, next posture." They don't explain any of it, and many of them don't have any further knowledge of what their doing. If I'm going to pay someone to teach me, I want a qualified teacher.

I like details when I'm learning a new skill, and these people (The few that I've been to) cant offer that.

This isn't a post about yoga, though. I'm specifically interested in tongzigong because its martial-arts-related. Does anyone know of an adult learning this, or is that unheard of unless they already have that type of flexibility?

its a waste of time and unnecessary only to those individuals who think so. if you like it, its not a waste of time nor unnecessary.

although, you have to work up to that type of flexibility. dont try it on your own especially if you arent flexible enough.

if you havent found a teacher that you feel good about who can teach you correctly, then i'd not worry about getting there yet. when stretching your goal is always the next inch- not tongzigong level in a day.

so my advice would be to get your hands on some books and dvds from tom kurz. if you like detail. you cant get more detailed than 'stretching scientifically'.

take that at a slow pace and build your flexibility until you find a teacher to take you further. then start to look at something like tongzigong.

Thanks LFZ.

I wasnt under the impression that I could be able to perform tongzigong anytime in the near (or even distant ) future. I was just wondering if that type of flexibility could only be obtained as a child.

Ill check out stretching scientifically, thanks.

Sure, anyone can do it. All you need to do is accurately access your level, and then back down the progressions until you can do the exercise. Then, slowly a little bit at a time, you increase the difficulty untill you have achived the full exercise.

Since Tongzigong is a heavy flexibility exercise, make sure you are nice and heated up before you do it. A good 40 minutes of deep stance work after a good 20 minute cardio warmup would do the trick quite nicely.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    why? its a waste of time. i suppose if you wanted a career in the circus or were into some kind of kinky sex positions it would be worth while...

Actually, flexibility prevents injuries to ligament and tendon as well as pulled muscles. Also promotes proper circulation.

There has no documented cases, but its been said that people that go through flexibility drills from adolecense to their maturity suffered less sports related injury and put off back pains and other related joint disease such as arthritis, gout, etc.

If I am not mistaken Tonzi gong is also an introduction to Chi Gung. Again dealing is unrestricting blood flow and nerve flow thereby cultivating the circulation of Chi throughout the body.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

To achieve the highest level, you must start as a child

Many Shaolin masters say that the key to mastering Shaolin Kung Fu is tongzigong. There is also a school of thought that requires lifelong virginity in order to practice it properly. Taken literally, it is an extreme asceticism. That being said, there's no reason why practicing tongzigong as an adult would be anything but beneficial. The physical and mental discipline is bound to have some positive effects on anyone, even someone in a pompous denial state like street_fighter. You won't achieve the pinnacle of tongzigong, but if it's calling to you, heed that call.

Personally, I've been practicing Shaolin kung fu for decades and I've never studied tongzigong. Of course, my Shaolin kung fu sucks, but it's probably not strictly due to my lack of tongzigong. I'm told that despite its external nature, it's actually very internal.

Yoga has become an incredibly misunderstood discipline in America. It was originally a practice strictly for ascetics too. I studied yoga in Pune and Rishikish. It was a totally different trip there than today's strip mall yoga. That's not to say that strip mall yoga is bad. Surely those 'little old ladies' gain some benefit (although here in CA, most of the yoga classes are full of hotties...I'm just sayin'...) Just like you can gain some benefit from tongzigong, PaiLumDreamer. It's not going to hurt you as long as you don't overdo it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

They have a saying here in Dallas:

If you take yoga, you are either a hottie, a MILF or teh gay.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

They have a saying here in Houston:

Dallas sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by PaiLumDreamer View Post

Dallas sucks.

Oh no you didn't go there............

Quote Originally Posted by PaiLumDreamer View Post

Dallas sucks.

hahaha lol
    OWNED
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX