Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: owwwww

Oso,

Bro, when it comes to injuries there is only one that really bothers me and its not the newb's, who as we all know carry there weight of problems in the gym intell they get the correct down.

It's those bizzare newbs or even medium year players who are born again retarded. I know it sounds mean but there is a certain class of student, a certain archtype, who for some odd reason is so off the rocker that the word control is something only related to not getting pregnant.

You know....the student who always cranks on the armbars like he is trying to break a virgin in...yet when you tell him/her to go easy, they say oh god, so sorry, but over and over and over again, the bizzare spastic keeps reaching for the moon.

Jerky, power spastic, always going way off the the marker for the move, does not seem to listen even though you see him or her looking at you, just really, really bizzare.

and lets not even talk about how certain cops can be in training, I have met a few who are so ignorant of others injuries that its borderline torture, or just so ignornat it floats back down to the bizzare newb at.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yep, been through a bunch of those.

kind of a mix between rambo and pee wee herman at time.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

LOL... the more I teach, the more I see guys like that (no concept of control despite a bit of experience). I've found that making your blocks into striking blocks makes them learn how to pull their techniques a bit, if only so they aren't injured themselves Amazing how a bit of pain helps as a learning aid
    Royce can choke as many people as he wants. He'll never have a cartoon as cool as Jackie Chan Adventures.

-- Chang Style Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post

kind of a mix between rambo and pee wee herman at time.

HEYYYYYY!!! I resemble that remark.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    when people don't have control-"Ohh, man, sorry, I don't know my own strength" -bullsh!t
    a mother crocodile has jaws that can crush through a two by four, and yet she carries her young in her jaws-and has a brain the size of a fukin walnut.
    so what are ya sayin...?
    If you really had no control, when you ate, you would slam the fork though your throat. If you had an eyelash in yuor eye, you would thrust your finger knuckle deep trying to get it out. (and you can forget about slammin the ham..
    This isn't a lack of physical control, it's a lack of mental/emotional control-ego.
    There are no excuses.
    As far as keeping up contact training when you get older-I'm approaching the hald century mark next week (7-11) and I still like to play hard, but I am learning not to play stupid...I think.
    (then again, two weeks ago, I was going at it with a training bro-6'-4" 280 lbs, godan in Goju,and he caught me right in the forehead with an elbow. If it was an inch lower, he would have crushed my nose like a beer can. Still have the lump.
    I think I may have dain bramage...)

If you really had no control, when you ate, you would slam the fork though your throat.
    ROFLMAO!!

I brought up cops because about three weeks ago I was at a function where a player was a police officer and 1st dan in Kempo, the guy had almost zero control, and had a hard time understanding why some of his training partners were getting injured.

He kept roughly grabbing the face of a player in a head control/clinching drill who had a inner cut lip from sparring and it kept opening up more and more......guy was so wrapped in his own head he didn't notice nor care, kept using one of two lines, oh its no big deal or sorry I lost a little control.

Let me not even bring up the bonafide retarded chick a long time ago in silat when we used real blades in practice whose sides were wrapped in tape, this nutter ended up giving one person a small tip rip and almost gutted myself.

It was like if the stab is supposed to be a number 5 lunge, it would never be a number 5, but some superman alternate world number 3..........only one of three times I ever had to talk to an instructor and say wtf!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    what is amazing is how we have tolerance for these people, and at the stake of our own personal safety. (But thead voice:"uhh..we're stupid. uh-huh-huh")

At my old kwoon, we use to match up begginers with advanced students. We would always tell them about control etc. We also tell them that we would hit as hard as they would. I can remember 2-3 beginner getting knock the f... out. Most would realize what hard contact was as a minute or two.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

This is prob going to get Becca knocking at my door with a shotgun and a can or gasoline but some of the worst cases of control that I have ever come across besides the macho action figure people were women.

I don't know if its been my bad luck but some of the worst injuries I have ever seen came from the much hotter and often times brighter sex pushing past there own limits to prove something or just being way to spastic.

This includes someone's gums getting raked...ouch...with long nails in a very simple drill....someone getting his ankle split open with a heavy stick in a two man drill...a guy getting a finger broken during a simple joint lock transition drill....list could go on.

I feel like an a$$ now.

yea, control is a big issue with me. my students are getting pretty good at going at a set pace and starting to get better at going fast but not hard. the goal is to get to a point where we can go fast and hard but control shots to the head and joints.

i was having fun, and being a little stupid, and the guy was mostly just hitting me in the leg (except for the one head shot which was beautifully timed on his part and stupidly not recognized by moi ) so I let him go. I talked with him after and told him we usually didn't try to hit that hard most of the time and we'd be working on toning it down next time.

i've seen a few people who seemed to have a disconnect of sorts and didn't get that they were doing things to hard (and I agree, a greater portion were women and no woman takes my class for long unless she cuts her nails at least reasonably short - same rule for guys ) but mostly it's been attitude fueling the gung-h0-till-it-breaks attitude.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

the "im sorry" and lack of control gig is true.

many people let their egos take over and the whole "look at me" thing kicks in.

Many people want to have others come up to them and tell them they are the cats pyjamas, or they want others to fear them or whatever.

I don't have time for it. If someone doesn't have control in an agreed upon scenario and I take a shot that wasn't agreed upon then they shall suffer the same. I don't need an "Im sorry". I'll give you back what you sent over instead.

No point in talking sense to someone who doesn't have any. Better to smack em. lesson gets learned quicker and rarely needs repeating unlike the stream of words we keep putting out onto deaf ears.

seriously, do NOT spare the rod when it goes wrong. escalate until he wants to negotiate, then bring it back round to step one.

Many people unfortunately need that lesson. It's a sad commentary on what a pack of retards Ma-ists can be. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I will take one free sorry as long as its nothing I deem to be intentional but anything after that begs the age old question of....wtf?

Then its time to go harder intell they get the drift.

In the dojo when working out with people with bad control I find those silly pain compliance techniques handy. It let's the guy know in a way that he's probably not used to that you're tired of his crap without escalating things into a fight. And it's fun watching their leg twitch when you hit a nerve juuuust right.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I agree with David. It escalates to the level of your opponent. If you are the senior, you are the one giving the lesson, controlling the dynamic. If they want to exercise technique and control, accommodate. If they want to try their stuff to the limit, accommodate. You can't try to hurt someone without the fear of being hurt yourself.

Young guys come in guns blazing have to pay the toll. It only happens once.

For the older guys, you have to set the rules from the start. Once you get puffed, you lose the advantage.

Also, give credit where credit is due. I like it when one of the boys can get the better of me. Shows somebody learning their chops.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Also, give credit where credit is due. I like it when one of the boys can get the better of me. Shows somebody learning their chops.
    yep, it's especially fun as a teacher to have something you taught come back at ya.