Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: owwwww

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

owwwww

so, my friend who mainly does Kempo (the one I was boxing with to help him get ready for a toughman but then he tore his achilles) came by saturday with a couple of students. My friend is still recovering from surgury but we did roll for about 30 minutes.

One of his students I've met and sparred before, he's tall and skinny and is training muay thai. The other one is 19, about 6' and 190...mostly muscle...and has just been training for a few months, also thai.

I've never been kicked in the head as hard as this kid kicked me...totally by reflex did I catch it and sweep his back leg and passed to a side mount, but my head is SORE!

He also wore the hell out of my right leg with thigh kicks and I also think I have at least cracked a bone in the foot trying to check his kicks...stupid me didn't put shin pads on.

i'm just going to have to stop going full on with young bucks half my age. it was fun and I look forward to being a part of this kids martial upbringing but I'm going to be laid up w/ no exercise for a week at least.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

yeah dude! calm down!!!

but nice i guess. :confsued:
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

lol, sorry, forgot to [whine] ... [/whine]

it was a good day of sparring at the school. my students got to mix it up with some different folks and held there own well enough. I just need me a Redman suit
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

lol, thanks. i think I'm basically aware of how to guard vs. most attacks...no one stops every attack every time.

besides, every time he leg kicked me he left his head open because he dropped his hands.

Ya know, thats another reason I don't spar full contact anymore. I sparred a few months back with a red belt at my current school. Here's the list of injuries after 4 rds of 2mins ea.

1) re injure my patellar tendonitis on both knees.
    2) jammed my thumb
    3) headache due to getting hit in the head
    4) bruise on left thigh
    5) biggest injury of all, MY EGO

So from now on, I am just gonna talk about my past accomplishments. I can't even do forms properly now cause of my knees.

Sux being old.

Oso, just put some Jow on it. There are days I take a bath in the stuff.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Injuries suck but there to be expected within a certain framework.....anything past that framework should make you consider where you are training, your training partners or your own limits.

Not saying this about you at all Oso, everyone gets nailed in sparring no matter what rank or experiance, anyone that says different is full of sh!t.

I see yet another change in my training in the near future. Right now I'm trying to find the right balance of contact to keep my skills but not training it too much that I spend weeks healing. For now I'm going to start using more padding.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

You guys probably need to train more and smarter. Hard contact sparring will leave you banged up but it is necessary and to incur so many injuries seems like you aren't doing something right.

That said, the last time I sparred, in April, I tore all the lateral ligaments in my ankle...shrugged it off, and went six more rounds before calling it a day. The next day was awful! Lesson learned, if you do get something pretty banged up, call er for the day and nurse the injury instead of machoing through it...although I did prove something to myself, and my friends apparently, about getting hurt and pushing through it.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    You guys probably need to train more and smarter. Hard contact sparring will leave you banged up but it is necessary and to incur so many injuries seems like you aren't doing something right.
    Yeah like taking 12+yrs off from martial arts then coming back @39yo and thinking I am still 25yo with all the flexibility and speed. My mind remembers the moves, my body just doesn't cooperate. And my body now heals at a pace of a snail going up hill.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Wait till you get to 48 and the real fun begins.

When people tell me that Grand Master X is over 75 and still able to do everything he did at 20 because of his training, I then ask about what happened to his classmates who received the same training. Then I have to duck because of the excuses of why those classmates are bent over old men who can barely shuffle across the floor.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Dude I am giving the external style another 3yrs. After that I am doing Hsing I.

Hopefully Hitlery doesn't get into office and I can still use my Gun Go Pow techniques.

Hopefully Hitlery doesn't get into office and I can still use my Gun Go Pow techniques.
    Won't happen. To many gun owners for her "it takes a village to raise my retarded child" a$$ to really make reality.

Either even thinging about having her criminal kester in the office with her douchebag husband makes me get the runs.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post

5) biggest injury of all, MY EGO

enh, i'm not saying i'm egoless but most days it's not an issue.

Oso, just put some Jow on it. There are days I take a bath in the stuff.

lol, i did...almost had to sleep on the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Injuries suck but there to be expected within a certain framework.....anything past that framework should make you consider where you are training, your training partners or your own limits.

the big mistake was me not wearing shin guards or head gear. we were only supposed to be going 'medium' but he had no control over his round kick, it was either on or off. I could have called a stop to talk about it but it wasn't bothering me that much, he didn't hit me anywhere but the leg and the one shot to the head.

he hasn't sparred much as I understand it, so control and 'courtesy' (like when he realizes he's pounding some poor old guy's leg to pulp ) will come with time. He wasn't malicious at all...very nervous in fact...a good kid that will go as far as he wants to in this.

...limits...yea, that's mostly what this post was about...in another year this kid will definitely be more than good enough to take me in a competitive fight...but I can't let go yet

Not saying this about you at all Oso, everyone gets nailed in sparring no matter what rank or experiance, anyone that says different is full of sh!t.

no worries

and yea, you're going to get hit if you spar.