Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Claims about MMA

Blog Entries

Claims about MMA

I've recently been told by several people on this board the following....

A) MMA (ie Judo, BJJ and Muy Thai) has all the important techniques techniques/strategies/skills of TCMA they are just called something else.

B) If MMA doesn't have technique Y of CMA style X it is because it is not important, because if it was MMA would already have it (see A).

To the first charge I'd say that there is probably some overlap, with some styles more than others. However, every style of CMA has unique things about it. When presented with a problem (ie how to defend oneself or fight) the human mind is incredible at coming up with all kinds of different solutions to that problem.

To my knowledge there are over 300 styles of Kung Fu that have been documented in China so I find it kind of silly to say that in all cases "MMA already has it."

To the second charge, I'd say that that this reveals a kind of insular hubris of the MMA crowd. The MMA training methodology is geared toward solving a certain problem. The problem of how to win MMA competitions. There is a whole world of martial arts out there, designed to counter different sets of problems, maybe one or more of those solutions would work as well or BETTER than the current arsenal of MMA "accepted" solutions.

FP
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 07-02-2007 at 09:52 AM.

MMA has no kwan-dao defense.

You win.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

You win.
    Nice try. I'm talking about hand to hand combat w/o weapons.

You win.
    Actually it does...duh! If you looked at the tablets Knifefighter brought down the mountain from Helio then you would know...
    A unique snowflake

this argument is irrevalent. everyone knows kung fu is to deadly for the cage.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Actually it does...duh! If you looked at the tablets Knifefighter brought down the mountain from Helio then you would know...
    LOL........

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    A) MMA (ie Judo, BJJ and Muy Thai) has all the important techniques techniques/strategies/skills of TCMA they are just called something else.

B) If MMA doesn't have technique Y of CMA style X it is because it is not important, because if it was MMA would already have it (see A).
    The problem here is there is no "MMA" style.

MMA is a combination of sport styles such as Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai, Greco-Roman, Freestyle wrestling, etc...

The hubris of CMA assuming that they have "something special" that is not found within the context of one or more other styles is the real issue.

Your claim that only Taiji uses shoulder and hip strikes, for example, is made purely out of ignorance of other grappling/wrestling styles.

He said what?????????????????????????????
    His old style Choy Li Fut is loaded with them
    Baji is famous for them
    as is Xingyi
    Catch wrestlers have always used them.
    Capoeira has them
    Taekkyon has them
    I'm sure Jujitsu has them.
    Pointless technocentricity is what's wrong with the TCMA scene
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    hubris-isn't that the middle-eastern dip made from chickpeas?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I would guess that MMA, having a large Brazillian influence, would have more garlic, parsley, and olive oil, in their hubris, while CMA hubris would probably use chinese parsley (cilantro) and possibly depending on region, hot red peppers. .

actually, many latin american countries use cilantro as well.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

Blog Entries
    The problem here is there is no "MMA" style.
    Totally and categorically disagree. MMA is a style composed of other styles, developed to solve a certain obstacle (ie MMA competition.)

MMA is a combination of sport styles such as Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai, Greco-Roman, Freestyle wrestling, etc...
    You got it all right.....except for the "etc."

The hubris of CMA assuming that they have "something special" that is not found within the context of one or more other styles is the real issue.
    Most traditional styles have similarities, but its not always WHAT they have, its HOW they execute those same techniques. Shuai Na Ti Da is in pretty much all TMA but executed differently with different emphasis.

AND different styles have different specialties

AND sometimes certain techniques/strategies/training methodologies ARE unique to a certain style.

Your claim that only Taiji uses shoulder and hip strikes, for example, is made purely out of ignorance of other grappling/wrestling styles.
    Except I never wrote that. Read what I wrote again.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 07-02-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Technically only latin countries use Cilantro, in Europe and Asia we use Coriander, a virtually identical yet geneticalyy different herb.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

hmmm very interesting, never heard of it before.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    He said what?????????????????????????????
    His old style Choy Li Fut is loaded with them
    With shoulder strikes? Bull$hit.

Baji is famous for them
    as is Xingyi
    Yes, also have shoulder strikes as one of their specialty.

Catch wrestlers have always used them.
    Capoeira has them
    Taekkyon has them
    I'm sure Jujitsu has them.
    I'm sure if you looked hard enough in any style you could come up with a shoulder strike here or there.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 07-02-2007 at 10:41 AM.