Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Claims about MMA

You mean psychological, yeah I can see people using terms to confuse a techniques direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    You mean psychological, yeah I can see people using terms to confuse a techniques direction.
    Not just direction, tell someone to slap and that is what you get.
    If you look at a hammer fist coming from the outside in, you wil see the elbow being the same as the elbow when doing a inward palm slap or strike, but the power of the impact will usually be different, more on the hammerfist than on the open hand strike, samethign happens with a knifehand.
    Why?
    Closed fist = more power in the minds of the people.

No, you were moderately offensive before that point. Anyway, I have a right to assert authority in this instance, due to my greater experience, especially with regards to the issues discussed here, this being the point of that post
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

On the topic of the video, it's a fairly standard app of a lifting forearm type strike, and I've seen that specific app in Baji, 8 step mantis, Xingyi and Ziranmen.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    No, you were moderately offensive before that point.
    Ok.

Anyway, I have a right to assert authority in this instance, due to my greater experience, especially with regards to the issues discussed here, this being the point of that post
    No, you only think you do.

FP

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    My Taiji teacher can pull off all kinds of stuff that I can't, he's a professional. He trains umpteen hours/day. So what? It doesn't say anything about what I can do.
    The problem with using teachers as an example is that they are almost always either doing these techniques on their students or on some clueless newbie who is just visiting to check things out. Students rarely go hard against their instructor and usually just stand there and let him do the technique, while people visiting are usually just beginners checking the school out.

The only way to know whether or not your instructor really can pull that stuff of is if you are seeing him in competitions against skilled opponents or if he is visiting other training facilities and going live against skilled oppoents from there.

The only way to know whether or not your instructor really can pull that stuff of is if you are seeing him in competitions against skilled opponents or if he is visiting other training facilities and going live against skilled oppoents from there.
    Knife, I think you could add a instructor who actually trains against the students in the same situations. It's harder to find but if he is going alive and tossing the ego out the door, then I think that might fit your bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Knife, I think you could add a instructor who actually trains against the students in the same situations. It's harder to find but if he is going alive and tossing the ego out the door, then I think that might fit your bill.
    By definition, most students are not as good as their instructor and he might be able to pull off all kinds of things against his students that he couldn't pull off against other skilled opponents.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 07-03-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    If you think that is not jumping back, you are clueless.
    If I (a) think that is not jumping back then (b) I am clueless. Sorry, I don't see how logically one follows the other.

To me that doesn't look like jumping back. I've seen plenty of clips on here where its blatant the guy is jumping back. To me this just looks like good understanding of internal.

Perhaps you are confused as to what you are seeing because there is no perceived exertion. That's just how internal looks. You try to push on someone using muscle power its like trying to push a big greasy ballbearing and you just kind of slide off. Maybe that looks fake to you?

I've been on the receiving end of a Taiji shoulder strike. If it was done with any force I would have been knocked on my ass or maybe knocked out. That's proof enough for me.

What I've yet to see is ANY video of a grappler executing a shoulder strike. I mean if its that common then I would have expected to see someone post something by now.

FP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    The problem with using teachers as an example is that they are almost always either doing these techniques on their students or on some clueless newbie who is just visiting to check things out. Students rarely go hard against their instructor and usually just stand there and let him do the technique, while people visiting are usually just beginners checking the school out.

So you are saying that validity of a technique/approach/strategy is determined solely by its application in some kind of NHB competition against another equally skilled opponent?

If you're going to go there then I think you should take it one step ****her or risk being inconsistent.

The only truth claim that can be made about the aformentioned is its PERSONAL effectiveness in said competition.

Therefore, if you have not or do not compete in said event then you have no basis to make any claim about ANY of the aformentioned....in terms of MMA or otherwise.

There is no guarantee that what works for one person will work for another. There are too many other variables from person to person.

(As an aside: What's funny to me is the people (and you know who I'm talking about) who have picked up the MMA banner but have never competed in a MMA event. What business do you have teaching?)

Personally, that would make things a bit too narrow for me. I'm willing to entertain and absorb information from various sources (meeting that criteria or not), synthesize it and make it my own. I feel that I have a sufficient enough background at least to separate the total charlatans from people that have something to teach.

If I think someone has a skillset that I don't possess then I will hang around until I understand it and can incorporate it into what I do. I started in Hung Ga, then went to CLF, now my focus is on Chen Taiji, in the future I would like to learn BJJ because to date I haven't learned anything significant about groundfighting (other than how not to go there).

EDIT: Forgot I learned some Western Boxing in there too.

Sport competition for me is a way to check things out and make sure that I am on the right path, as well as being challenging and sometimes fun. I would like to do more of it.

However, I don't take it as the be all and end all.

Cheers

FP
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 07-04-2007 at 08:37 AM.

On the surface you are quite right.

In SPECIFIC, what we do is all that matters, what someone else can do is irrelevant.
    In the systems I have studied I have seen people able to "pull it off" in a full contact enviroment, both sport and street.

Now, in GENERAL, what you have to remember is that sport combat systems focus on the techniques that have been prove to work, reguarly, consistently and by everyone.
    Arm Bars, round kicks, RNC, boxing like punches, knees, elbows, etc, etc.

Sport combat focuses on what works within their given enviroment and as such the simple fact that technique A works over and over and over regardless of who does it, means that even if I have'nt had a chance to "do it" yet, it probably will.

And the probablity factor is far greater than say something that is NOT being tested on a regular basis.

So you are saying that validity of a technique/approach/strategy is determined solely by its application in some kind of NHB competition against another equally skilled opponent?

If you're going to go there then I think you should take it one step ****her or risk being inconsistent.

The only truth claim that can be made about the aformentioned is its PERSONAL effectiveness in said competition.

Therefore, if you have not or do not compete in said event then you have no basis to make any claim about ANY of the aformentioned....in terms of MMA or otherwise.

There is no guarantee that what works for one person will work for another. There are too many other variables from person to person.

(As an aside: What's funny to me is the people (and you know who I'm talking about) who have picked up the MMA banner but have never competed in a MMA event. What business do you have teaching?)

Personally, that would make things a bit too narrow for me. I'm willing to entertain and absorb information from various sources (meeting that criteria or not), synthesize it and make it my own. I feel that I have a sufficient enough background at least to separate the total charlatans from people that have something to teach.

If I think someone has a skillset that I don't possess then I will hang around until I understand it and can incorporate it into what I do. I started in Hung Ga, then went to CLF, now my focus is on Chen Taiji, in the future I would like to learn BJJ because to date I haven't learned anything significant about groundfighting (other than how not to go there).

Sport competition for me is a way to check things out and make sure that I am on the right path, as well as being challenging and sometimes fun. I would like to do more of it.

However, I don't take it as the be all and end all.

Cheers

FP
    Check out this thread, check out the vids:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=46925

NHB fights in Brazil. Very different from MMA. Notice the head stomps to the guy on the ground.....hahaha.....

Ooooo!!! I fought an an MMA event once! Even posted video of it on here many moons ago!

Pick me, pick me!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

What I've yet to see is ANY video of a grappler executing a shoulder strike. I mean if its that common then I would have expected to see someone post something by now.
    Grapplers don't use shoulder strikes because, at most, all that would do would push the opponent away. Grapplers want to control and finish the opponent, not push him away.

To some degree that is true. It acts as quality control...

So that when you have students thinking their instructor can pull of unworkable techniques like this:
    http://www.kungfurock.com/2006/11/27...-yanagiryuken/

Quality control steps in to show what would really happen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxb0PCBV0vk