Thread: Looking for a Bagua Teacher

Looking for a Bagua Teacher

I am looking for a Baguazhang teacher who is accepting new students and is willing to teach and has made themselves available in the Houston, TX area.

Please forward me their names and contact information so I can inquire and actively make steps in becoming a student to learn.

you should go on emptyflower's xingyiquan forums and ask there as well

i don't remember the gentleman's name but something like 'al-walee muhammad' teaches ba gua and xing yi in that area.

try Bomani Maghribi - 5 Element Kung Fu school.

He does Long Fist, Taijiquan, Hsiing I, and Bagua.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Arlington and Houston are not near each other.
    I have a signature.

I've been to Arlington and Dallas never houston. Whatever.

whatever does not really apply to distances in Texas.

Arlington, Grand Prairie, Irving, etc... are in the DFW area. from the far west end of Fort Worth to the far east end of Dallas, you have over 50 miles if memory serves

From the DFW area to Houston you have close to 300 miles NOT counting the actual cities - just from the south city line to the north city line. It takes 4 hours to travel going 70 mph

From Houston to San Antonio, it is around 160 miles - 3 hours. Houston to Austin, 160 miles - San Antonio to Austin - 80 miles. DFW to Austin, 180 miles... From Beaumont (the eastern edge of Interstate 10 to El Paso, the western end, you have around a 14 hour drive at speed limit It is about the same to go from Corpus christi up to the top of the Panhandle.

Texas is a BIG place...so is California. ANd you haven't even taken into account traffic.

Unless you are doing private lessons on a weekend and travelling there, it is really not workable to even do lessons in Dallas if you live and work in Fort Worth. Similarly, if you live in Clear Lake (Houston) by Nasa, you could not easily have lessons in the Chinatown area where many teachers are - the round trip would be close to 100 miles.

I traveled to the other side of the world to train so anything is possible.

Ah yes..but you stayed and lived there for a while. Relocation is one thing. Going for a couple of weeks or for a seminar or to live for a year or two is one thing...

But living in one city and traveling a distance every day or two to train is very likely unrealistic.

For example, I just left a job that had me driving close to 100 miles a day round trip to work. That meant 1 hour EACH way. Then 9 to 10 hours of work (whoa...already up to 12 hours) then trying to spend time with family AND practice.

Had I had to drive another 100 miles - well even at 70...another 1.5 hours of useless time in a car...that would have been up to 13.5 hours. Then if I trained 2 hours - 15.5 leaving 8.5 hours for breakfast, dinner, wife, daughter, sleep....

So, the trumpet call of "If you really want it badly enough, you will travel ... " is sort of not from the real world. You can't always drop your life and move or travel miles and miles to get to a teacher.

From my understanding, I think Dr. Painter does weekend classes as part of it, no longer doing weeknight classes. So people come to town and train the weekends.
    I have a signature.